MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System - Bad Capacitors

Anyone know what processors are supported by this board? I replaced the board in a friends machine only to find that the CPU was dead too. Replaced that with a Celeron 1000, SL5XT. The BIOS comes up, but it never tries to boot either from the HD or floppy, just hangs with the Gateway logo. Don't know if it is a bad board or unsupported CPU.

Comment

I guess I wasn't too clear with my original post. I tried recapping and was not as successful as some of the other people. I have checked out ebay and there are people selling replacements MSI MS-6312 Used in Gateway Flex System called "Brookings" but if everyone seems to be having the same cap problem then why get an exact replacement just to risk the same problem?? So what I meant to ask was has anyone ever found a motherboard that would fit the small gateway flex box, but was not identical to the original motherboard. It is rather unique in size and would take a specific board to fit properly in the case. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Comment

i am sorry your recapping went wrong. can you figure out what you did bad to do better next time. i managed to screw up a board one time.

what i see is that the MS-6312 has no AGP. It also has 2 PCI slots. i am not aware of another board like that. what i would suggest is that you junk the case and start over. pick up an asus cusl2-m from ebay. they are great little boards. you can get a geforce fx5200 or whatever a cheap case and cheap dvdr and it will be a nice machine. i have bought a few and the caps were mostly rubycon, sanyo nichicon. only one ost below the agp on the right. nice.

pic attached. check the ebay pics to see if you can see the same green sanyo and should be fine.
        Attached Files
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Here is a couple more pics of bad caps on a MSI 6312 board. I will be replacing them soon with United Chemicon or Nichicon caps.
          Attached Files

Comment

I got one of these boards and was wondering if I should just replace the caps even though the board works.

Comment

If your caps are Chhsi too, replace them.

Comment

Actually I just checked the board out and 2 of them are bloated. Is there a list of the recommended caps to use for this board?

Comment

hi jac0b, make a list of all of your caps 1000uf and over. Go over to https://www.badcaps.net/kits/ and read through the information there to get started on ordering replacement caps. Topcat is the guy you'll be dealing with on these.

I spent just under $10 US currency for a badcaps recap kit to recap my MS-6312. Good deal and good learning experience for those of us just getting into this :-).
                  Last edited by AKBessy; 04-04-2007, 11:31 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Hi everybody, I just joined, I don't want to high jack this post, so if this goes anywheres I'll post a new one to talk about it, but I did want to say to post this one time, I'm happy I ran across this forum and found all these posts here about this mobo, I have the same motherboard that many have posted about, but there is something else that popped on my board rather than the caps, I thought this would peak an interest with some people.

I found a very tiny small chip that has cracked open, like it popped, there are another three of the same chips on the board that are all fine, there are two lines of a part numbers on top of this chip, the first line says GW25 and below that is 5817.

I don't see anything else that went bad on this board, but I'm not that familiar with what the numbers are to be with and how to checking the rest of the mobo with a meter, and I remember hearing the certain caps have to come out to be checked if not blown, I believe??

It's a Gateway PC manufactured on 10/22/01 with Micro-Star, motherboard model MS-6312. there is a number thats "N1996".

I don't know why this chip cracked like this, the last owner of this unit said it just stopped working all of a sudden, all I can do is guess at what may have happened, like maybe the vents were all ways blocked and the unit ran hot all the time, I say this because of what I found, tell me if this is wrong, but the little 1/2 square top of the CPU that contacts the heat sink is a solid blue blue blue!!! its not a color I've ever seen before on a working CPU.

I'd enjoy hearing from everyone about what I found, about this little chip cracking with out high jacking the post... to bad I don't have a great camera to take a picture of it right now, I'll work on that.

To Locate my blown chip on the board take the edge of the mobo that has the 20 pin plug in for the power unit and place that edge on the botom of the screen. Then, look at the CPU socket, then find the very tiny small chip thats located on the bottom edge of the CPU socket right on the left hand lower corner, right above that round circle that looks like a life saver candy that is wrapped/looped all around in copper wire.
                    Last edited by joeeye; 04-05-2007, 02:28 AM.

Comment

joeeye, check out this link https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=211, is your little black chip like any of these FETs?

Comment

bump and hijack!

I was just given one of these computers....but mine has a more stripped down version of the MSI board, no parallel or serial ports. I popped in a 800 Celery and it runs, cheap caps and all (Jackcon, Teapo).

I cleaned out the ASTEC psu and found it loaded with Rubycons! Yay!
                        I did reverse the 80mm fan to blow out instead to keep things inside the case cooler.
                        Also created a shroud for the passive heatsink out of card stock.

I know the intel i810e chipset will support P3s up to 1 GHz, adding one would make a decent web/email box. I'm going to run win2k for the sake of efficiency over winXP.

Does anyone know if drivers for this board still exist? Previous posts mentioned MSI took them down.

TIA.
                        “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                        We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Oops, never mind, I found them at Gateway's site instead of MSI's.
                          (although the Win2k sound drivers are missing.)
                          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Some pics of my PSU 'mod'.

Even with a faster cpu (800 MHz Celery w/ 100 MHz FSB) than the original, the heatsink never gets warm. The airflow gets directed right across the fins.
                            I think the system is cooler overall.
                            But this case isn't HDD cooling friendly though. Make sure to run an older UDMA-4 IDE drive that doesn't run hot. I installed an old Samsung 20 Gig.
                            Got win2k up and running with all drivers, and a Netgear card.

But I did find a busted rear USB port, yeah, these are fragile! I filled its cavity with caulk to prevent anyone from stabbing a plug into it.

As for Joeeye...
                            The cpu is supposed to be that color, it's just the way the silicon is.
                            As for the lifesaver..I think you mean the toroidal transformer.
                            You'll need to post pics of the damaged part. but I believe it's a VRM mosfet.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was just given one of these boards, so I'm going to test it and get a cap kit if it boots up.

Comment

I scavenged some usable caps from other old boards and PSUs and my board is up and running now.

Comment

I see all these are old posts; I ws trying to sort out a gway 300s with the 6312 board that was having the issues I was seeing. I definitley see leakage from the caps next to the power supply. 2 questions, other than a steady hand, does it take a special thecnique to change rhe caps and last, are there kits avail to replace all of them? Thanks

Comment

Kits are rare and none I know of for that one.
                                    It's easy enough to figure out what you need and just get those.

There is no special technique other than basic soldering skills.
                                    There is a quirk.
                                    Motherboards are extra thick so you you have to compensate your methods for that.
                                    Learning to get enough heat in to get it over with quick (so you don't overheat any components) takes a little practice but it's not a huge deal. More like just finding 'the zone' where things go well.

All in all it's not that hard.
                                    Just takes a little practice like anything else.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

What are the caps?

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

I am gaining the courage to replace the caps on my Ms-6312

I am looking at the Digi-Key catalog and there are sooo many options.

Which should I get?
                                        -I am sure I need Radial an not "standard miniature"
                                        - I think 105 Degree VS. 85 Degree is max temp right?

-Audio Aluminum Electrolytic Caps
                                        -Bi-polar Series SU
                                        -Radial Lead M Series
                                        -Panasonic NHG Series
                                        -Panasonic FC Series
                                        -Panasonic FM Seize
                                        -Panasonic EB Series
                                        -Panasonic EE Series
                                        Etc.

I have read a lot of threads on this board and no one seems to hate Panasonic.
                                        Are there other sources of caps that you don't need an electronics degree to purchase?
                                        Is there a more economical solution then Digi-Key?

Can anyone who has bought from Digi-Key through some part numbers my way?

Some people have said they substituted the 2700 with 2200. Is that really good to do? Is it because of availability?

Comment

Whoa,, okay.

-Bi-polar - ANYTHING - NO! - Wrong kind of cap.

- 105 Degree - YES!
                                          They will last much longer.

Check the diamater when you consider caps or you may end up with something that won't physically fit.

The applicable series that Digikey stocks are FM/KZE/HE/KY/FC.
                                          There is an odd size here-there in other series but those are their main lines that are suitable for your board.

That's a P3 board.
                                          Of what Digikey stocks Chemicon KZE series is good anywhere on the board.
                                          They stock a lot of sizes and they are less $$ than most.
                                          [I personally would use KZE on the whole board. They work good on P3 boards.]

Should use KZE or better near the CPU.
                                          FM is slight upgrade from KZE. [Though not really necessary.]
                                          So far as ESR/Ripple Digikey doesn't stock much in between KZE and FM.

They carry HE and KY series in several sizes which are a slight down grade from KZE but would work fine outside of the VRM (CPU area).
                                          FC is a slight downgrade from HE and KY in the ESR/Ripple specs but is longer life and would also be fine outside of the VRM.

~~~~

Substituting the 2700 with 2200 is something you only do if you HAVE TO because of availability of caps in the right can sizes.
                                          If you must go that route then use caps with a lower ESR and higher ripple.
                                          With what digikey stocks that means use 2200 FM series in those spots if they aren't too big of cans.

And as I said. Watch the can sizes.
                                          FM and FC tend to be a little bigger diameter than KZE, KY, or HE is some uF sizes.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X