Should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be worried?

I have a Jetway Versa J7F4K1G2E motherboard. It has mostly polymer capacitors, but there are also some 220uF and 100uF CapXon electrolytic capacitors on it. They are in one of the coolest areas of the motherboard (it stays about room temperature there) and seem to be on the +5V, +3.3V, and +5VSB rails. I also have a high quality PSU. I was wondering if I should be worried about these capacitors failing.

Re: Should I be worried?

If it gets erratic replace them.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
      I have a Jetway Versa J7F4K1G2E motherboard. It has mostly polymer capacitors...
      I'm not very familiar with that particular motherboard, but are you sure the "polymer capacitors" are actually polymer and not sleeveless electrolytics? In other words, do you see vents stamped on them? Is there an "FZ" text written on top on any of them?

The reason I ask is because Jetway has often used GSC/Evercon/Sacon capacitors in the past (and I wouldn't be surprised if they still do). These 3 brands (or rather 1 really) have been known to fail consistently.

Sacon capacitors in particular have a specific series - the FZ - that are known for their "polymer" looks. In fact, they are just regular eletrolytics caps (and very bad ones at that). If you see a vent on your "polymer" capacitors and the letters "FZ" printed on top, then you have Sacon FZ. Those should be replaced on sight.

Comment

Agree.
        Jetway likes FZ.
        BTW: FZ come marked with either blue or black ink.
        Printing and sleeves are just marking methods.
        Neither one tells you if a cap is polymer or lytic.
        They both come marked both ways.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

They don't have any vents. Some are marked "FP 98Ab 122 04" and others say "FP 99Ae 471 6.3". The ink is red.

Here are the possibly polymer capacitors:

(the larger ones are "98Ab" and the smaller ones are "99Ae".

And here are the CapXons:
          Last edited by cheapie; 12-29-2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

The FP is the -logo- for FPCAP brand which are Functional Polymers.
            Used to be owned by Fujitsu, now owned by Nichicon.
            Good caps. - Leave them alone.

The 122 04 = 1200uF 4v
            The 471 6.3 = 470uF 6.3v

FZ are a series of Sacon. I don't see any.
            When I said "If it gets erratic replace them" I was talking about the small Capxon.
            To modify that: If they are 6mm or larger I might replace them anyway.
            [Particularly if any are near the chipset.]
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

The Capxons in the last picture are most likely used by the integrated sound card and network card... if you get crackling in the sound or the network disconnects often or has poor performance, maybe capacitors would be the cause.

Otherwise, I don't see them under enough stress to have issues so I don't think you should change them.

Comment

It is nice to hear that the ones near the heatsink are polymers. However, the sound hisses quite a bit, but it did that right out of the box. Also, I have another device that has capacitors marked "B1 47 25V" and "47 VFK. 1W5". Are these good caps?

Comment

However, the sound hisses quite a bit, but it did that right out of the box.
                  Replace the caps around the sound chip with some good quality caps.
                  For most of those Panasonic FC should be enough.
                  Check the specs to be sure.

Also, I have another device that has capacitors marked "B1 47 25V" and "47 VFK. 1W5". Are these good caps?
                  ~Might~ be able to ID those with a photo or two.
                  Will have to be a bit better photos than those first two.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X