XFX GeForce 9600 GT (PV-T96G-YHFB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFX GeForce 9600 GT (PV-T96G-YHFB)

I have this card and I want to fix it. It seems the previous owner broke a capacitor and a choke.

Can some one tell me the details about the missing capacitor? And where can I get both components?

http://img692.*************/img692/5720/fullfk.jpg
    http://img685.*************/img685/1244/p1000708.jpg
    http://img683.*************/img683/673/choke.jpg

Re: XFX GeForce 9600 GT (PV-T96G-YHFB)

Here's the closeup of your card from the Newegg picture. The cap is 1000uf, 6.3v. Dunno about the choke, hopefully someone else on here can help you with that.

Attached Files

Comment

this cap should do the job, right?
      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=48
      Last edited by tirsojrp; 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I can tell you right now you might as well recap all those caps with the letters "FZ" on them, as those are the infamous sacon FZ caps. The purple ones are sanyo OScon's, those are good.

Comment

So, I need 2 https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40 and 1 https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=48, right?

Comment

You need to replace EVERY "FZ___" on it.
            They'll pop their tops loud enough to hear it with the case closed.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Looks like inductor says 1R0 same as the big square one.
              That would be 1.0uH

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

1.0uH sounds about right for that application. On the other hand, the current rating should be fairly high. I'd guess something in the order of 5 to 10A, maybe more.
                Since the previous owner seems to have done quite some damage, it's probably a good idea to carefully check the rest of the card for chipped components.

Comment

Looks like there is another one of the same on the board but up higher than the pic here shows.
                  Take a look at that one.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                    1.0uH sounds about right for that application. On the other hand, the current rating should be fairly high. I'd guess something in the order of 5 to 10A, maybe more.
                    Since the previous owner seems to have done quite some damage, it's probably a good idea to carefully check the rest of the card for chipped components.
                    The FZ cap. closest to the edge seems to be damaged.

Still nothing about the choke, I guess that one will be a little harder.

Comment

U need a good soldering iron for the recap job. Replace all the Sacon caps if possible.

Comment

Those cap pads look like they are set up for both thru-hole and SMD.
                        If they will take thru-hole caps [with wire leads] then Panasonic FM series are an ideal replacement.
                        FM has slightly better ESR and Ripple than FZ, is easy to find, and is usually inexpensive.
                        Only tricky thing is sometimes you have to get FM in 10v instead of 6.3v to get the right diameter to replace FZ 6.3v.
                        -
                        In other words the Sacon FZ 1000uF 6.3v 8mm can be replaced by an FM 1000uF 10v 8mm if the FM 1000uF 6.3v 10mm is too big to fit the PCB.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Without the board in hand, it's tough to pick out the correct coil. The current rating is important but not ascertainable through these pictures. That said, the following 2 coils are -SUGGESTIONS- and not absolutes. The first could be too low in current rating and go *poof*. The second is very high in current rating and if I were to recommend one, it would be that one. Simply from the viewpoint that it is very likely overrated for this application.

1) Is a radial leaded choke, but you can bend the legs a bit to cross the pads. It is rated at 3 amps and looks to be close to the type and size of the other (good) one:

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mura...adS26OeULxY%3d

2) Is a SMD and although it looks different, it is the same inductance. It is rated at 9.6 amps. The size is also very close (8x7x4mm):

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mura...CbBwJkTr9Ts%3d

IMO - If it were my board, I'd use solid polymer caps for all the FZ's and the other cap with the black mark at the top of the whole board picture. These boards are "hair dryers" running across those caps especially if you do anything such as gaming.

Your other option may be to look for a "dead" or "parts only" board on eBay, and do a swap.

Good Hunting!
                          Toast
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Attached your pic files through the forums as ImageShack is notorious for deleting files after 30-60 days

[EDIT: Just looked up one on Ebay. It has an actual picture and you can see your broken cap pushed over a bit and with a dent in the can. Must be a common bit of damage.]
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Toasty; 11-09-2009, 03:23 AM.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi toasty, can you tell me exactly where to get the caps you recommended?

Thanks

Comment

XFX has a double lifetime warranty on that card, provided its not physically damaged, you might want to try and RMA it and get a replacement for free.

Comment

'double lifetime' warranty

I read a book where this vendor was selling Dragon Spray.
                                  Had a lifetime warranty.
                                  You spray in on you and the dragon can't burn you to a cinder.
                                  If it didn't work you could get your money back.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by brethin
                                    XFX has a double lifetime warranty on that card, provided its not physically damaged, you might want to try and RMA it and get a replacement for free.
                                    Dude... the card had 2 broken components. RMA won't miss that much.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                      'double lifetime' warranty

I read a book where this vendor was selling Dragon Spray.
                                      Had a lifetime warranty.
                                      You spray in on you and the dragon can't burn you to a cinder.
                                      If it didn't work you could get your money back.

Couple major flaws in that product! Wonder if he had anything to protect against being eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by tirsojrp
                                        Hi toasty, can you tell me exactly where to get the caps you recommended?
                                        Thanks
                                        Digikey.com has Panasonic FM. Or you can buy Rubycon MBZ (MCZ would probably work fine too) here from Topcat.

Comment

Working...
                                        X