Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

zyxel p660r-d1 recap ? What cap's to buy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zyxel p660r-d1 recap ? What cap's to buy ?

Hi, guys i'm a new member here and i would like to try my first cap replacing on my old adsl modem/router, the modem is really unstable and i'm gonna try chaning the caps for better stability i'm good at soldering but my knowledge about caps is limited, so the mobo of the modem has 10 caps here is the list:

Jackson 3300uf 16v
    Jackson 470uf 6.4v (x4)
    Jackson 1uf 50v
    ..... 47uf 35v (x2)
    hermei 1000uf 16v
    Jackson 470uf 16v

So what brand capacitors should i order ? Should i orcer caps with higher capacity ? What do u suggest ?

Thanks

Re: zyxel p660r-d1 recap ? What cap's to buy ?

Howdy!

Are you sure you don't mean Jackcon?

We need the name, size, -> and series <- to help you spec anything out for sure.

Jackcon series are usually 3 letters
    Hermei series are usually 2 letters
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Hi and welcome to the badcaps.net forums.

First Question (What capacitors to use)
      The series you use is just as important as the brand. It determines things such as the ESR (a small resistance the cap has to current) and how much ripple the cap can handle. For a modem router, panasonic FM series would probably be OK

Second Question:
      Keep the capacitance the same. Changing it may interfere with the way the circuit works. The cap didn't fail from being underrated, but from being badly made.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i don't think that they have this info on them :P I will try to take some good quality pics and i will try to measure the caps ....

Comment

Nah, it's probably on them just hard to see or they ran the series code into some other number [like temp rating] so it looks like one big number when it's two or three little ones.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Take panasonic FC or FM or any other decent low esr capacitor; that are basic buck regulators, they work with anything rated as low esr capacitor.

Comment

so i did this i took out some nichicon caps from a dfi mobo i solder them on the modem :P The modem runs faster no dc as for now 12+ hours Yeah i didn't notice at the beggining but the nichicon caps are 16v ... anyway the modem runs great i replaced 7 of the 10 caps and i'm pleased with the result
              If i run caps with bigger farad rating it will be ok ?

edit : i will upload some pics in a while
              Last edited by cronogr; 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Depending on what the circuit is more uF can screw up timings [sequencing between circuits] or shift frequencies out of range.
                NOT a good thing on a communications device that has to connect and 'talk to' other communications devices.
                You would have to draw out a schematic and do the math to know for sure.

More uF doesn't do much for performance anyway. [That's an old wive's tale.]
                - Lower ESR does.
                Those folks that used more uF and got better performance unknowingly lowered the ESR when they raised the uF.
                The more uF wasn't what helped, it was the lower ESR that did the trick.

Used 16v caps are not 16v caps anymore.
                Aluminum Electrolytic caps adjust to the applied [actual circuit] voltage within hours.
                If you took them off a motherboard then those were probably 12v caps when you moved them.
                If they didn't burn up in 12 hours then 12v caps was okay there.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Working...
                X