esr or cap tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: esr or cap tester

Thanks guys for good words about my small pets! I hope they will be good helpers in your toolboxes. If something wrong - you know about warranty and my email
    And I see our post became a bit faster then before! Good news!

Originally posted by Bob Parker
    ... lithium batteries and anything containing lithium batteries is now not allowed to be sent by air mail. Not even watches!
    If this rule applies here in Australia, it might apply internationally too. Just something to keep in mind.
    Heh, Bob, you surprized me! That's crazy rule! Every time I flying to somewhere by plane I don't like rule "do not bring any liquids on board!". If so, maybe it soon will be change as "do not bring any liquids (including liquid crystal in your notebooks and cellphones!)..." I will try to find out something more about that, thanks for interesting info

Comment

So, again me )
      Today when trying to find out why an lcd monitor 17" just flashing the lamps for somme milisec, and then turn off, was a god prove of my best investment in my hobby repair studio.The two electrolitic capacitors on the inverter board was locking god, not bumpy and dry below, measuring with capacity tester was god, but when i measure this capacitor with the Mike s instrument the story change rapidly. Esr was about 6-7 ohm, and this is to hi for a cap of 56 uf 25v, and the capacity measured with "esr micro v3.1" was only 16-17 uf. The rest is easy, two caps changed and lcd monitor is working like new. TY Mike. Just continue like this. ) Type you again

Comment

Hi everybody. I'm newbie.

I also go my esr meter from Russia. As a beginner in electronic fields, I need equipments that suit by budgets. When I found ESR 3.1 Micro, I did'nt thinking twices. I also order FBTest from Mike and it took 2 weeks arrived in Malaysia.
        For those who still does'nt have esr meter, this is another options.
        Mike will be introduced new model esr meter but I hope not with a new prices.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          I just wanted to put in a good word for Mike and his ESR-Micro v3.1. I ordered mine on 10/07 and received it on 10/20. Puschasing it was easy, just email Mike to get the price with shipping and then send the money thru Paypal to the email address that he gives you. He's great to deal with.
          Larry

Comment

Is this meter autoranging?

The 1, 10, and 100 look like ESR and capacitance measuring ranges.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I love my blue. Won't it also check pc board tracks to find a break, or am I getting my testers confused? The next thing I want is a Peak Atlas DCA55 component analyzer. For $79+freight it will identify and check transistors, mosfets and fets, thrystors, triacs, diodes, and led's. Identifying is the big thing with me. I hate coming across these mystery components with no identifying marks on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                Is this meter autoranging?

The 1, 10, and 100 look like ESR and capacitance measuring ranges.
                NO There are just 3 resistors inside for checking the unit.
                Connect probes to 1 ohms and look at LCD, there must be say 1.02 or 0.98. And similar for 10 and 100 ohms. If readings for 1 ohms are wrong, you need to do "calibration" and check again. Of course there is autoranging

Comment

After coming across Mike's ESR-Micro v3.1 while looking around on the web, I thought I'd order one. I contacted Mike by e-mail, got a price with shipping from him, and paid by Paypal. Quick, easy, and Mike was great about communicating. I'm in the Chicago area, ordered on 10/24/09, and it got here on 11/16/09. That shipping time really wasn't too bad, and wasn't much different than than the time it's taken to get some other things that I've ordered from overseas in the past.

So far it seems to work very well. It easily found two bad capacitors in a dead power supply that I had laying around here. I replaced those two capacitors, and the power supply is working fine now. Thanks Mike.

Comment

Mike, how much is your product ready made with the body, shipped to Canada?

Thanks
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2102
                      So far it seems to work very well.
                      Hi Mike, it's good to hear from you here. I think my small pet will be useful instrument in your toolbox If some problems-questions - welcome to my mailbox

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                        Mike, how much is your product ready made with the body, shipped to Canada?

Thanks
                        Total 60USD to everywhere (even to Canada)

Comment

Originally posted by RusMike
                          Total 60USD to everywhere (even to Canada)
                          The ESR Micro 3.1 is the berries. Well worth the wait and it has already detected a couple of turds in a Vox AC30 I am working on.

Comment

I received my ESR-micro v4.0 from RusMike today. It works great! It's an eye-opener to check some of my capacitors. For instance, some 1000 uF Rubycons that I got are consistently only about 830 uF--still within 20%! Very interesting. Thanks, Mike!

Comment

I hope that I'm not being too rude, following up on my own post. I tested some more caps today with my new ESR-micro meter and found that the 1500 uF 6.3 V Nichicon PWs that I got a while ago to put in my FIC FB-11 motherboard (and which I subsequently replaced with Panasonic FMs as per recommendation from people here) were in spec on ESR at 0.05-0.06, but were low in capacitance at 1120 uF. I also found that both the Panasonic FM and Nichicon HM 1000 uF caps that I bought consistently read low at about 850 uF. I suspect that this is a correct reading because other caps that I have tested read much closer to their nominal values (more like within 5%, both high and low). Interesting. I'm happy to have a way now to check caps BEFORE I solder them into my boards, as well as to check caps already on boards!

Comment

Just a quick note: It's ESR and not absolute capacitance value which is important. That's why there are lots of meters which measure ESR only. It's extremely rare to find an electrolytic cap with seriously low capacitance but acceptable ESR.

Also the capacitance tolerance on most electrolytic caps is -50% to +100%, which is a 2:1 ratio in each direction, showing how relatively unimportant the exact value is.
                                It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Received my ESR-Micro 3.1 a few months ago. Mike is an excellent communicator and followed-up on it's delivery. The ESR-Micro 3.1 has been a welcomed addition to my test bench and has quickly solved many troubleshooting issues.

I understand that a new model has been released (v4.0). I've gotta check it's specs and put in an order.

Provided are some photos of the ESR-Micro 3.1 in action:

Comment

Coincidentally, can somebody recommend an ESR meter that reads values lower than 1uF?

Comment

you have lytics with capacitance lower than 1uF?

Comment

Just sent RusMike US$75 (UKĀ£47.73) for the ESR-Micro v4.0. after sending him an email.

It's a pity RusMike doesn't have an English version of his website. Would get a lot more orders I would imagine.

Also, why not sell them on eBay?
                                        ________________________________________________

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                                        Bright antennae bristle with the energy
                                        ________________________________________________

Comment

after deciding i'm still not THAT cheap i'll send him paypal money in a few moments too...
                                          i'm just too curious to compare esr micro to my diy analog esr meter...i must know...hehe...

you can translate his page with google translate
                                          http://translate.google.com/translat...tm&sl=ru&tl=en

Comment

Working...
                                          X