Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I have a toshiba L200 which have the same problem..but if i run it in single core mode it will run on a battery without AC plugged in, and with 2 cores running i can't open the windows even in battery mode..at first I had it running and when i plug in the AC it will shutdown or hang..but now i can still charge it (when already in Windows) for some minutes then it will hang..or sometimes if there is too many applications running it will charge until 98% and shutdown, is the solution above is also good for me?? please i need your help..
    and extra question, can I use the 4 x 330uf 10v?? I can't find any 330uf 2.5v here in my area..is it still possible to use the 330uf 10v?? thank you in advance guys

Comment

wmbuddhi, there was a 128 before. You don't need that much for a 907 but it'll also work.

Comment

Originally posted by abo0badr View Post
        I have a toshiba L200 which have the same problem..but if i run it in single core mode it will run on a battery without AC plugged in, and with 2 cores running i can't open the windows even in battery mode..at first I had it running and when i plug in the AC it will shutdown or hang..but now i can still charge it (when already in Windows) for some minutes then it will hang..or sometimes if there is too many applications running it will charge until 98% and shutdown, is the solution above is also good for me?? please i need your help..
        and extra question, can I use the 4 x 330uf 10v?? I can't find any 330uf 2.5v here in my area..is it still possible to use the 330uf 10v?? thank you in advance guys
        Too much higher value. I wouldn't do so.

Comment

I found 4 caps 330 e57 from a scrap board... would they work for replacement in a toshiba L300 motherboard?

thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!!

Comment

Hello friends
            I have placed four 330uf capacitors and has worked in some cases. When not working I added two more capacitors 220uf, working perfectly.
            What I have always done is to check the capacitance of each plate before welding.

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
              Too much higher value. I wouldn't do so.
              ok sir.
              but do you think my problem is the same with this problem??
              i hope so, so i can finish this frustrating life...this laptop was damaged for 5months now..i hope this will help..but the problem is what if the laptop will not turn on??

Comment

abo0badr, you should check other things first. Your model has a very common issue with the DC jack. Check for cold solder joints.

Comment

abo0badr, you should check other things first. Your model has a very common issue with the DC jack. Check for cold solder joints.
                  i've already checked it..it looks fine externally (i mean internally),,now i am using the AC jack plugged, but done a trick for this laptop, i have noticed that if the processor is on a stand-by mode (like just in the desktop and the user is not doing anything) then it will HANG/Display many different colors on the screen, but i tried making the CPU busy (i run the anti-virus scan just to make the CPU busy and processing) it runs fine, but it depends sometimes it runs for 10mins, sometimes for 30mins, sometimes for an hour.

additionally sir, if i remove the battery and plug it to AC while the laptop is turned off, and turn it ON, it wont boot, it will keep on restarting before even displaying the Toshiba sign. does following your solution can affect the laptop? i think this is just the same problem with yours
                  Last edited by abo0badr; 10-05-2011, 05:45 AM. Reason: fault information

Comment

if it has cold solder joints, it wont charge right?? but i am already charging it at the moment..2weeks ago the problem was the exact problem as this thread leads to. when i plug the AC it will freeze and shutdown, but after i have changed the settings in the BIOS/CMOS to (i think it was much like "multi core function" i disabled it so it is running on a single core) then the 2nd one (its much like "high frequency function or something like that" which when set to ALWAYS LOW will lower the power consumption of the CPU)

Comment

Cold solder may cause it to charge normally when not in use, and do not charge at all when up and running.
                      Please, notice that I've never had a case where a Toshiba would turn off because of this problem, they normally restart. You should check if your problem is not related to bios or even the cpu before trying to do this fix.
                      If I had you notebook in my bench, I'd test cpu and bios first.
                      Also try to run your laptop without the battery.
                      And, please, be advised that I won't take responsibility for any damage caused to your laptop when performing the procedures explained here. If you are not experienced with soldering, you should take your machine to an electronics technician as this is not a trivial task. You could permanently damage your laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by abo0badr
                        but if i run it in single core mode it will run on a battery without AC plugged in
                        Originally posted by abo0badr View Post
                        i have noticed that if the processor is on a stand-by mode (like just in the desktop and the user is not doing anything) then it will HANG/Display many different colors on the screen, but i tried making the CPU busy (i run the anti-virus scan just to make the CPU busy and processing) it runs fine, but it depends sometimes it runs for 10mins, sometimes for 30mins, sometimes for an hour.
                        The reason it works that way is because the large capacitor has lost its capacity and/or its ESR increased. It is for vcore filtering and decoupling. When the CPU is kept loaded, its power consumption doesn't change much, but when it's idle and transitions to low-power mode, then goes back to full power the sudden changes in current draw means the capacitor has to smooth the current until VRM catches up, and if its capacity is insufficient or ESR is too high the CPU gets a momentary over/undervoltage, enough to make it hang.

Add as much capacitance as you can fit; laptops have space constraints but you can see on desktop motherboards they use many large caps totaling >10,000uF.
                        Last edited by b700029; 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Anyone out there?

I found 4 caps 330 e57 from a scrap board... would they work for replacement in a toshiba L300 motherboard?

thanks for any help and/or suggestions!!!

Comment

Is it e57 or eS7?

Comment

It's e57. The caps on the board is the NEC/TOKIN 0E907. This is the MB on a Toshiba Sat-pro L300. As I was checking the Nec it's top broke up so easy like an egg shell... so, right now I'm peeling off the layers of it. I can tell that this cap is cheap stuff, poorly made. I think your solution with the four smd caps will work for me,

Waiting for your comments, thanks again.
                              Last edited by PVH; 10-05-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I don't know those e57 caps but normally "e" stands for 2.5 volts, so it will work (if "e" in this case is really 2.5v).

Comment

Yeah, I know that (about the voltage)... I was thinking about the capacitance. The Nec/Tokin is 900uf and the 4 smd caps of 330 will add up to 1320uf, would the extra 420uf be a problem?

Comment

I don't see a problem but you can use only 3 of them if you want to.

Comment

At least 2.5v and at least 900uF, going up in voltage won't help much (CPU vcore is <2v) but more capacitance (and lower ESR) is better.

Comment

Cold solder may cause it to charge normally when not in use, and do not charge at all when up and running.
                                        Please, notice that I've never had a case where a Toshiba would turn off because of this problem, they normally restart. You should check if your problem is not related to bios or even the cpu before trying to do this fix.
                                        If I had you notebook in my bench, I'd test cpu and bios first.
                                        Also try to run your laptop without the battery.
                                        And, please, be advised that I won't take responsibility for any damage caused to your laptop when performing the procedures explained here. If you are not experienced with soldering, you should take your machine to an electronics technician as this is not a trivial task. You could permanently damage your laptop.
                                        thanks for the response,, i will check the soldering tomorrow since my examinations are finished. what i meant is 1month ago the problem was 100% same as what is posted in this thread, but when i changed the bios settings the laptop run in battery mode, then i tried to clean it (clean the fan, change all thermal pastes,etc) then it will turn on on AC mode "without the battery" but for 5-10seconds maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                                          The reason it works that way is because the large capacitor has lost its capacity and/or its ESR increased. It is for vcore filtering and decoupling. When the CPU is kept loaded, its power consumption doesn't change much, but when it's idle and transitions to low-power mode, then goes back to full power the sudden changes in current draw means the capacitor has to smooth the current until VRM catches up, and if its capacity is insufficient or ESR is too high the CPU gets a momentary over/undervoltage, enough to make it hang.

Add as much capacitance as you can fit; laptops have space constraints but you can see on desktop motherboards they use many large caps totaling >10,000uF.
                                          thank you for that wonderful response..
                                          so you guess the problem is the same with what this thread is about?? the solution here might help me?? and about your statement on adding as much capacitance as i can, should I reach higher than the NEC/TOKIN capacitance?? is it ok? to even reach 2000uf with a 2.5v capacitors?
                                          and one last question if you don't mind, how can i check the capacitance of the NEC/Token while it is on-board? thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                                          X