LCM-22w3 new board, but display problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCM-22w3 new board, but display problems

This is the story of my LCM-22w3 that had bad capacitors and how I came to find that there is absolutely no solution anywhere online for this very common problem.

I originally found out my monitor had bad caps when it was doing that on, off, orange light, high pitched squeeling sound turning on. I knew the monitor was going bad, so I looked up guides and info and whatnot. Most everyone pointed at the power/inverter board. I took it apart and lo and behold! Bad caps. Puffy, all out, etc.

Since I am TERRIBLE at soldering, and most places for a 'repair' of the caps wanted more than $40 for it, I said 'screw it - Ill just order a full replacement board'. That was a bit ago now, but last I remember, the monitor worked fine.

So I ordered a replacement DAC-19M009 - full board, new caps everything. Just got it in tonight. Replaced it fine, reassembled the monitor and bam. Turns on without a hitch.

Awesome right? Not quite. Got it hooked up to my computer and its resolution is all wonky. What? Okay, Ill fix it. I go to change it (win7x64 btw), and it says - "nope, cant do that. In fact, your monitor isnt even a westinghouse 22inch. Nope, its a Acer 17 inch with a max resolution of 1280x1024."

Okay. Huh? So, do I have a bad main board too??? Could a bad power/inverter board tear through my main board too and make it act all stupid? I assume from all of the stuff online that the EDID is messed up, and that its reporting the incorrect information. If its doing that, the only way to fix it is to replace that board correct?

Help me out with anything that could possibly help. Im dying to get this thing back to working but its just not cooperating.

Also - since the front button that auto adjusts the picture isnt working, and since its hooked up to the main board - I assume thats the issue? All Im working on is basic troubleshooting skills here.

Could I buy http://www.shopjimmy.com/cmo-35-d012479-main-board.htm THIS and replace it - would that fix the EDID?

Re: LCM-22w3 new board, but display problems

At that price its probably worth a try - ask if they will take it back if it fails.

Are you using or have you tried a DVI cable
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Used both a DVI cable and a VGA cable. Both of them fail.

Tried on 3 computers, all running win7x64 - DVI on 2 of them, dvi +vga on the 3rd. All report the monitor as a AL1714 (some acer 17inch monitor) through EDID. None of them would report the correct resolution through it.

Comment

I have been reading more but probably only what youve read already.
        ried this:Running 64 bit at 1680x1050 with no problems. It automatically set it to 1680x1050. You might check in the monitor settings and sure that it is not set to a 4:3 screen size instead of 16:9 or 16:10. If your getting widescreen options but no 1680x1050 it might be set to 16:9 instead of 16:10.

I did see someone who got their screen to work even though it reported as a 17inch acer but it was a bit hazy as to how it was done - editing the windows register I think.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

One easy alternative is to try a linux bootable cd and see what it reports.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

+1 on the Linux CD. Use xrandr to set display options.

One of my Nvidia cards will let you set custom display resolutions. There's a big, bold warning telling you "hardware damage" could result; I'm not sure how this could happen. Maybe on an old CRT, but not an LCD. Anyway you could try feeding it a custom resolution and see what it does.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The monitor settings arent proving useful at all. Nothing Ive changed in the settings are allowing it to work properly. It still not identifying as a 22in westinghouse in EDID. I even got an EDID viewer just to see - http://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm - and it reports the information as an Acer 1714. So the EDID of the monitor must be jacked.

A linux boot CD I dont think would change anything, as I honestly dont believe this is a windows problem at this point. I mean, its a generic pnp monitor without drivers, and since windows relies on the EDID data being correct, which it isnt, all of it points to the monitor being the issue.

I guess Im just curious as to how the EDID data could get jacked from a bad power/inverter board. Could the bad caps take out the mainboard or pieces of it due to fluctuations in the power?

The main question is - The mainboard contains all of the EDID data, correct?? Thats where the OS would get the resolutions and whatnot from, right?

When I get home Ill boot up a copy of ubuntu live I have lying around and see what happens.

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              One of my Nvidia cards will let you set custom display resolutions. There's a big, bold warning telling you "hardware damage" could result; I'm not sure how this could happen. Maybe on an old CRT, but not an LCD. Anyway you could try feeding it a custom resolution and see what it does.
              Though I will say this - I AM able to get nvidia control panel to FORCE 1650x1050, but it is blurry as hell. Almost like its still plugged in through VGA and not DVI. Cant get the fonts to look right at ALL when that SHOULD be the monitors native resolution. (forgot to mention - the fonts look fine when its at the 'incorrect but believed' native resolution of 1280x1024 - all crisp and clear - but forced anything higher than that and the monitor goes wonky)

When I get paid in a week Ill end up buying the part (whats $20 right? I mean, I spend more than that on a dinner out with my girl), and trying it. I guess Im just moreso curious as to how this managed to happen.
              Last edited by Xaeonis; 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Did you see these threads?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/thread...r-1714.121966/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29...detected-wrong
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It is a common issue on a certain series of 40" Samsung TV to have the EEPROM corrupted after slightly bad caps go really bad and send loads of 5V ripple to the board, which causes lots of problems with the EEPROM getting corrupted. Generally the picture gets screwed up on some modes or they don't power up at all. On the Samsung TVs it is easy to fix (shorting pin 5 and 6 on the EEPROM - this causes it to reset the EEPROM with default data.) The EDID EEPROM will be near the VGA and DVI connectors, so it should be easily to locate.

Another thing you can consider is the possibility that some programs have the ability to write the EEPROM from the computer. You may need to fix the write-protect (WP) pin to do this but it could be an option.

I have the equipment here to reprogram EEPROMs, so if you need programming and if you have a sample EDID hex file, I could program it for you.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Both of those fail to yield solutions to anything.

The first one has nothing but registry edits in it, and if the EDID is off, then the registry fixes arent going to fix something thats obviously wrong with the monitor's reporting information.

The second one stops abruptly when no one yields a response.

I spent about 2-3 hours last night googling all sorts of key words and phrases including but not limited to "LCM-22w3"+"AL1714" and incorrect resolution and whatnot.

A lot of people say to just pull the cable, try a DVI cable (which I already used after testing my VGA cable as well), unplug it and replug it. None of that solves anything.

Comment

It is a common issue on a certain series of 40" Samsung TV to have the EEPROM corrupted after slightly bad caps go really bad and send loads of 5V ripple to the board, which causes lots of problems with the EEPROM getting corrupted. Generally the picture gets screwed up on some modes or they don't power up at all. On the Samsung TVs it is easy to fix (shorting pin 5 and 6 on the EEPROM - this causes it to reset the EEPROM with default data.) The EDID EEPROM will be near the VGA and DVI connectors, so it should be easily to locate.

Another thing you can consider is the possibility that some programs have the ability to write the EEPROM from the computer. You may need to fix the write-protect (WP) pin to do this but it could be an option.

I have the equipment here to reprogram EEPROMs, so if you need programming and if you have a sample EDID hex file, I could program it for you.
                      Okay okay. I think we are getting into the realm of crap that I can handle, but seems like a really hard thing for me to get into.

I completely understand that bad caps can trash other components. Understood and acknowledged.

Could I, by myself, without any unique equipment, short these pins and bring the monitor to reset the EEPROM data?

If not, how would I go about reprogramming it from the computer? I mean, Im sure there are EEPROM data writers out there for monitors, but really, how would I go about it? Save the EDID data stripped from it, send it to you, you reprogram it? Wouldnt you have to have the detailed information for what the monitor is SUPPOSED to do in the first place?

Really, I just dont wanna bother anyone to do work for me when in another week Im just gonna buy a new mainboard and replace it. I assume then that should fix the issue as Ive already replaced the power/inverter board to a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeonis View Post
                        Okay okay. I think we are getting into the realm of crap that I can handle, but seems like a really hard thing for me to get into.

I completely understand that bad caps can trash other components. Understood and acknowledged.

Could I, by myself, without any unique equipment, short these pins and bring the monitor to reset the EEPROM data?
                        Yes, you can try it. There is no harm in doing it due to how I2C works. (Floating bus lines... it's complicated.)

Also try the one near the main processor; there's likely one just for user settings and configuration and one for each VGA or DVI port. EDID might not be your only problem, if the main configuration is confused. I also assume you've done a factory reset?

If not, how would I go about reprogramming it from the computer? I mean, Im sure there are EEPROM data writers out there for monitors, but really, how would I go about it? Save the EDID data stripped from it, send it to you, you reprogram it? Wouldnt you have to have the detailed information for what the monitor is SUPPOSED to do in the first place?
                        There is a standard format for EDID. You will need to create a new file with new data in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data

You probably don't need to worry about the actual manufacturer, as the monitor and computer probably doesn't care about that. The other parameters will have to be estimated, and that's the tricky part.
                        Last edited by tom66; 06-07-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Yes, you can try it. There is no harm in doing it due to how I2C works. (Floating bus lines... it's complicated.)
                          This is where it gets tricky for me - as Im generally a L1 and L2 tech. This is almost getting into the realm of L3 with messing with the internal components of a board.

How would I know which pins to short on my LCM-22w3? I would have to find some sort of technical schematics for the board right? And there, identify which pins? I think I still have my multimeter at home, to pull readings off of, but then how do I short it? Soldering (Im TERRIBLE at soldering)?

There is a standard format for EDID. You will need to create a new file with new data in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data

You probably don't need to worry about the actual manufacturer, as the monitor and computer probably doesn't care about that. The other parameters will have to be estimated, and that's the tricky part.
                          Ugggg. This sounds a lot more complicated than $20. Hahaha.
                          I honestly dont even know where to begin when it comes to this level of technical support. Id have to have a file to work from, or create one from scratch, both options are a bit out of my league.

I could give you the CURRENT EDID data from the monitor, but we've already established that that is pretty messed up and wouldnt work right, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data - just took a look at this - LOOOOOL. I would have NO FREAKIN IDEA where to start doing this. This is crazy. Hahahaha....
                          Last edited by Xaeonis; 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

This is where it gets tricky for me - as Im generally a L1 and L2 tech. This is almost getting into the realm of L3 with messing with the internal components of a board.

How would I know which pins to short on my LCM-22w3? I would have to find some sort of technical schematics for the board right? And there, identify which pins? I think I still have my multimeter at home, to pull readings off of, but then how do I short it?
                            Post some detailed pictures of your board - I'll highlight them. Don't Panic!

Soldering (Im TERRIBLE at soldering)?
                            It's difficult to solder badly, really. Here's a good tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

(For your use, you don't even need a temperature controlled iron.)

Comment

Post some detailed pictures of your board - I'll highlight them. Don't Panic!

It's difficult to solder badly, really. Here's a good tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

(For your use, you don't even need a temperature controlled iron.)
                              When I get home, Ill take apart the monitor again (piece of junk plastics) and post pictures of it.

And Id still have to go out and BUY a soldering iron, solder AND flux. Honestly, I just dont have very steady hands AT ALL or I wouldve replaced the caps on the power/inverter board myself. Generally with a soldering iron I tend to burn myself and things around me. Also, I used to do cable soldering in the US Air Force but it wasnt small components but larger pieces...and even then...I was BAD...hahaha...

Ive tried resetting the monitor a number of times using the buttons, but its kinda yielded no results other than 'blink blink - nope, still messed up'.

We'll see if we cant find a quick fix solution, but honestly, if it gets to the time where soldering is the only option - Ill probably skip buying the iron/solder/flux and just spend the $20 on the mainboard and replace it.

Call me lazy - I just dont wanna burn myself (proven fact). Hahaha.

(edit) http://www.shopjimmy.com/cmo-35-d012479-main-board.htm - this is the mainboard BTW. You CAN large picture it to see where things are.

Comment

When I get home, Ill take apart the monitor again (piece of junk plastics) and post pictures of it.

And Id still have to go out and BUY a soldering iron, solder AND flux. Honestly, I just dont have very steady hands AT ALL or I wouldve replaced the caps on the power/inverter board myself. Generally with a soldering iron I tend to burn myself and things around me. Also, I used to do cable soldering in the US Air Force but it wasnt small components but larger pieces...and even then...I was BAD...hahaha...
                                I have burnt myself many times on a soldering iron. The worst place is the fingernail. You can't feel it but you can later smell it alright!!! Urrrgh!

Flux isn't necessary for most soldering as most good solder contains it. I can get a "fire-starter" soldering iron which will do the job for most cap jobs for £5 here. I generally use a temperature controlled Aoyue 968 which cost £130 though... I would not recommend Aoyue as it has just proven really unreliable. Or I use my butane powered iron.

For the pic, can you get a 2000x2000 or closer pic of your board? The EEPROM part numbers are very small and the ShopJimmy pic doesn't show them well.

Comment

I have burnt myself many times on a soldering iron. The worst place is the fingernail. You can't feel it but you can later smell it alright!!! Urrrgh!

Flux isn't necessary for most soldering as most good solder contains it. I can get a "fire-starter" soldering iron which will do the job for most cap jobs for £5 here. I generally use a temperature controlled Aoyue 968 which cost £130 though... I would not recommend Aoyue as it has just proven really unreliable. Or I use my butane powered iron.

For the pic, can you get a 2000x2000 or closer pic of your board? The EEPROM part numbers are very small and the ShopJimmy pic doesn't show them well.
                                  Well, most places around here that sell soldering irons are pretty crappy, unless I do an online order. Im in the USA, and houston, so there are plenty of places, but none I could get for under $10 easy. I think the last one I had was from Radio Shack and it was a huge piece of junk...same with the solder. Id have to find something at a specialty tech place, and even then, i dont think it would be under $20 easy for everything (iron + solder).

I can most definitely get you a better pic of the board when I get home. My phone does 5megapixels, so that should give you at least a pretty decent picture of it. Ill make sure to at the very easy clean it up so you can identify stuff.

But like I said - dont put TOO much time/effort into this. If it comes down to having to do soldering, Id rather just drop the $20 on the mainboard and have it free 2 day shipped. That way, since I know the LCD display is fine, and the power/inverter board was JUST replaced, the last thing left is the stupid mainboard. Fix that and EFFECTIVELY, the monitor SHOULD work like new, right?

Comment

But like I said - dont put TOO much time/effort into this. If it comes down to having to do soldering, Id rather just drop the $20 on the mainboard and have it free 2 day shipped. That way, since I know the LCD display is fine, and the power/inverter board was JUST replaced, the last thing left is the stupid mainboard. Fix that and EFFECTIVELY, the monitor SHOULD work like new, right?
                                    Yes. If it worked before, it should work again. What caps are on the new PSU board? It might be a good idea to recap it if you plan to keep it for any more than a few years - or you'll go through the same problem again.

Comment

Yes. If it worked before, it should work again. What caps are on the new PSU board? It might be a good idea to recap it if you plan to keep it for any more than a few years - or you'll go through the same problem again.
                                      No clue. I could always take a picture of that too - but honestly, at this point, if it fails in another few years, Ill just buy a new monitor. By that time, LED monitors will have become the standard and Ill just end up replacing it with a much nicer version.

Hahaha.

Comment

No clue. I could always take a picture of that too - but honestly, at this point, if it fails in another few years, Ill just buy a new monitor. By that time, LED monitors will have become the standard and Ill just end up replacing it with a much nicer version.

Hahaha.
                                        And this is how capitalism works! The manufacturer screws the customer over, so the customer has to buy a new product every few years.

Comment

Working...
                                        X