Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For a Project Monitor

Hi BadCaps folks,

Recently I had a good experience repairing my Samsung 204B by replacing the faulty caps, and I am thinking of adding a second display to my system.

I am considering either a) buying a basket case Samsung monitor and fixing it, or b) buying an older but still functioning Samsung with thoughts of fixing it when the time comes. I'm leaning towards spending a few more bucks and buying a working one just so I know that no one has been inside messing around with it. Or maybe I'll be proactive and change the caps up front.

With that said, I am looking in the 20-24" range. Is there a particular Samsung monitor I should focus on? I live in the LA area, and there are plenty listed of all sorts on Craigslist.

LAS.

Re: Looking For a Project Monitor

Originally posted by LAS View Post
    Hi BadCaps folks,

Recently I had a good experience repairing my Samsung 204B by replacing the faulty caps, and I am thinking of adding a second display to my system.

I am considering either a) buying a basket case Samsung monitor and fixing it, or b) buying an older but still functioning Samsung with thoughts of fixing it when the time comes. I'm leaning towards spending a few more bucks and buying a working one just so I know that no one has been inside messing around with it. Or maybe I'll be proactive and change the caps up front.

With that said, I am looking in the 20-24" range. Is there a particular Samsung monitor I should focus on? I live in the LA area, and there are plenty listed of all sorts on Craigslist.

LAS.
    I'd be inclined to go for the working monitor so I can see what shape the panel is in. A significant number of the dead monitors I've picked up have scratches, bruises, etc.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks PlainBill. So a working monitor it will be. Any suggestions as to which ones to pursue? Avoid?

I would like to get a 226BW but I have heard less than stellar things about some of the later board revisions, ie anything but an 'S' board is to be avoided. Are the 226bw monitors to be avoided?

LAS.

Comment

I have my eye on a Samsung 204B but the screen has this little diagonal line visible in the right hand corner. Does it look familiar to anyone?
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a piece of wire from the CCFLs or something. Should be an easy enough fix.

Comment

Thank you Shovenose! Will advise.

Comment

Hi List Members,

So today I made my monitor purchase - a 'new' Samsung 910V. It still works, as per PlainBill's suggestion above, and I ran the diagnostic startup screen and saw that it has 20,868 hours on it. So now a couple of questions for the list:

1) Should I replace the original capacitors ahead of their impending failure? Is it best to leave them alone, or be ahead of the game and replace them proactively?

2) Monitor is not as bright or white as my Samsung 204B alongside it (with half as many hours). So far I'm into it for only $30 so I'm not overly concerned if I spend a few bucks on parts.

All suggestions appreciated.
              LAS
              Los Angeles.

Comment

I didn't hear back from anyone, so I decided to take a look in side my Samsung 910V to see if anything looks out of sorts, and see if anything can be done about the apparent dimness alongside my Samsung 204B.

I opened it up and learned that it was manufactured in October 2004, and also that the inside resembles a huge advertisment for Sam Young capacitors. I counted twelve in all, and I am thinking that changing the smaller eleven with comparable Panasonics with low ESR would go a long way towards the dimness. I would leave the extra large one in place as I have read in other threads that it doesn't typically go bad.

Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do, or should I just wait until I see a more dramatic failure?

Comment

I opened it up and learned that it was manufactured in October 2004, and also that the inside resembles a huge advertisment for Sam Young capacitors.
                  Hmm, I would be more worried about the ccfls going out first before the SamYoung caps. Depending on the quality and usage, those ccfls tubes make it not economically worth replacing.

I can't comment on your spending, but for me, $30 for a 2004 monitor + new caps is not something I would have invested in. Here, if I'm patient, I can find a working 22inch wide monitor (say 2 years old) for $40 or less.

However, I prefer to wait for free non working 19 inch or bigger and try to fix them hopefully for less than $10. My luck though hasn't been that great. The last 5 or 6 that I have received have yet to be solved (no more simple replace caps).
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-09-2011, 05:20 PM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks Retiredcaps. I've had quite an interesting time these past two weeks looking for a project monitor. Mostly I scan Craigslist and eBay, and I found a couple of slow-starting ones in the general LA area, but could not quite convince the owners that these monitors have performance issues and they should let me buy them for less than the top dollar they were asking. Typical response: "Just give it a few minutes and it works great!" So that's what I'm up against. I'm not in the computer profession so I don't have regular access to problem displays.

I did find one advertised for less than $30, but he was an hour away, and who wants to spend $15 in gas to save $15?

So economically, for me, the best deal is a new monitor for $150 or so, with a three year warranty and no troubleshooting or soldering work involved, but what fun is that???

In LA, things are always a bit more expensive. I won't disagree with you that a 22" monitor has its benefits, but it would not fit into my desk area unfortunately.

For me this is a learning experience as much as an improved computing experience by adding a dual monitor, and for me it's always been the experience, the journey, and if gaining that experience costs me a bit more in the beginning, well, it won't be the first time.

That being said, how long can I expect ccfl tubes to typically last?

Thanks for the helpful input.

Comment

Mostly I scan Craigslist and eBay
                      We have freecycle and kijiji as well. You can always post an ad looking for non working lcd monitors. Say in the ad you are learning electronics and will recycle properly if you cannot fix it.

That being said, how long can I expect ccfl tubes to typically last?
                      Again, depending the quality of the lamps (also the ccfl wiring can go bad too), I found this http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/faqs.html

Q: What is the typical life of a CCFL lamp?

A: The typical rated life of a CCFL backlight is 20,000 to 40,000 hours, however when used in LCD applications such as laptops you should expect between 1.5 and 3 years of use from most manufacturers. We manufacture Premium CCFL lamps with a much higher life expectancy. Our standard lamps are rated at 50,000 hours of usage and we also manufacture a very high performance 70,000 hour lamp that is commonly used in mission critical applications.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm not in the computer profession so I don't have regular access to problem displays.
                        You can always ask friends to keep an eye out as well. Also, let them know you are interested in fixing electronics and maybe they will give you their old non working stuff.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, thanks Retiredcaps. All good. I did place an ad in craigslist but next time I will add your suggestions.

Comment

For me this is a learning experience
                            That is how I started and now 3500+ posts later ...
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And inquiring minds want to know how many monitors later?

Comment

And inquiring minds want to know how many monitors later?
                                I think I'm 22/30 in the repair department. So I get about 1 lcd monitor per month for free. All of them are still working AFAIK. I give them to friends, family, etc.

I know of at least 2 people where I live who proactively post ads. For me, it is a hobby.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And so far I'm batting 1000 in the repair department. My Samsung 204B no longer flickers.

This average can however change dramatically if my 910V decides to pack it in and I don't feel like springing for new ccfls!

Comment

So I have acquired another monitor. Alas it was not free, but it is a 2008 Samsung 2053BW which cost me $20. I'm happy to report the numbers are heading in the right direction - this is an improvement over the thirty bucks I spent on the 2004 910V.

The blue light blinks but there is no video, so I opened it up, and sure enough, there were a few swollen caps. So I ordered a complete set of eleven from Digikey.

And this leads me to my next question...I chose Panasonic FC or FM capacitors, rated at anywhere from 1000 hours to 5000 hours. If the Capxon caps on my 910V made it to 20,000 hours before starting to fail, shouldn't we consider them to be halfway decent caps based on how long the replacements are expected to last? Just curious.

Comment

And this leads me to my next question...I chose Panasonic FC or FM capacitors, rated at anywhere from 1000 hours to 5000 hours.
                                      PCBONEZ talks about lifetime in this post

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7

PS. Some Panasonic FR has 10,000 hour ratings which is why I choose FR, FM, and then FC (in that order). FR and FM are equivalent in terms of ESR, but FR has better lifetime rating for only a few pennies more.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If the Capxon caps on my 910V made it to 20,000 hours before starting to fail, shouldn't we consider them to be halfway decent caps based on how long the replacements are expected to last?
                                        In my own emperical evidence, Capxon is the 2nd worst cap manufacturer. Only Fuhjyuu (mainly found in Antec power supplies) are worse.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X