Looking For a Project Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking For a Project Monitor

Retiredcaps, how to Samwha caps stack up? Found several bad ones in my newly acquired Samsung 2053BW.

Comment

Originally posted by LAS View Post
      Retiredcaps, how to Samwha caps stack up?
      In my personal plastic cup of obviously bloated caps, I count 12 Capxon and 1 Samwha.

edit: By far though, when people post for help in the lcd world, we see a lot of bad Capxon caps.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Retiredcaps, how to Samwha caps stack up? Found several bad ones in my newly acquired Samsung 2053BW.
        Samwha are of inconsistent quality. While in general they are good, certain production lots are garbage. Capxon are 'replace on sight', I treat Samwha as 'keep if ESR is well within specs'.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Although I would much rather be drinking a Mai Tai on Waikiki Beach with PlainBill and discussing monitor troubleshooting, I have decided to replace all of my Samwha caps in my Samsung 2053BW, mostly because a) two are bloated, b) they are cheap, c) I don't have the benefit of an ESR meter, and d) I would rather not have to open it up again later.

I was also very interested to hear Retiredcaps in a previous post refer to FR Panasonic caps. In all previous threads I read, the emphasis was on FM or FC; going forward, I will check for FR first and the benefit of a few extra hours of life. All in the interest of making these more reliable.

Another item that caught my attention: in reading the above referenced thread on capacitor life expectancy, the author mentioned that over time, caps go down in uf value. That being said, wouldn't it be wise to replace them at, say, 10% over uf value, so that they also last longer? Just a thought.

Comment

Hi Badcaps people,

Last night, thanks to guidance from this list, I was able to restore functionality to my Samsung 2053BW monitor by replacing all the electrolytic caps. First thing I did was run the onscreen diagnostic, and saw that it only had 4700 hours on it. That's a good number IMO for a $20 monitor.

But a small wrinkle - I am missing the four little silver machine screws that go into the metal corners of the frame. I suspect my little boys found them interesting when I wasn't looking. I was able to snap the plastic monitor frame back together without them, but I am thinking I should still replace those screws. Can they be bought at, say, Home Depot? Radio Shack? And does anyone know what size threads?

Any downside to not replacing them? Monitor is now wall mounted.

Thanks all as always.

Comment

First thing I did was run the onscreen diagnostic, and saw that it only had 4700 hours on it. That's a good number IMO for a $20 monitor.
              Yes, that is a good deal for $20 with only 4700 hours on it.

I was able to snap the plastic monitor frame back together without them, but I am thinking I should still replace those screws.
              I have one Acer monitor that is factory manufactured not to have ANY screws holding the cage (that contains the power and logic board) onto the panel. The back panel, when snapped together, holds it in place.

Different monitors use different screws sizes so there isn't one size that fits all. The best you can do is try to find a service manual for your monitor and see if they have a bill of materials that lists the screw size. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks RetiredCaps. I will move this down my 'To Do' list.

Comment

Working...
                X