Iiyama Prolite E431S flat panel - inverter failure due to bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iiyama Prolite E431S flat panel - inverter failure due to bad caps

My flat panel monitor (an Iiyama E431S) recently developed a backlight problem - the light would turn off within a couple of seconds of power on. Cycling the power would bring it back for another couple of seconds so I was pretty sure it was a problem with the inverter and not the CCFL tubes. Strong light showed that the actual display was still working.

I opened up the monitor and found a couple of the capacitors on the power/inverter board had severely bulging tops and bottoms. They are Hermei caps and I know from reading these boards that this is a known bad cap make. For reference my E431S had the following radial capacitors:

PSU/Inverter board

2 x 1000uF 16V Hermei LE 105c
    2 x 470uF 16V Hermei LT 105c
    2 x 150uF 25V Hermei LZ 105c

+ one very large one (500V I think - I'm not even going near that one)

Video board

2 x 220uf 25V Hermei LT 105c

One 1000uF and one 470uF cap had bulged, I replaced those two with Panasonic FM series caps and the monitor is now working fine. I bought enough Panasonic caps to replace all of the small Hermei ones but I'm not that confident at soldering so I'll only swap out the rest if the monitor develops more problems.

I also managed to resurrect an external power supply for a Netgear switch by replacing a couple of bulged capacitors (Fuh Yin ones, replaced again with Panasonic FMs). It's a fairly high amp rating psu (i.e. expensive to replace) so that was a useful fix.

This is the first electronics work I've done and reading the badcaps forum really gave me the confidence and knowledge to go ahead and try to fix the equipment myself - saving myself quite a lot of money in the process. Thanks guys.

Re: Iiyama Prolite E431S flat panel - inverter failure due to bad caps

Sounds like a job done well. Congrats
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Congrations on your recap there Geddon. You might want to replace the other HERMEI caps when you're confident enough to do the repair.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Thanks to this forum, I have dismantled my monitor and discovered two bad caps - probably the same two as Geddon. Newbie2 added a reply to replace all the Hermei caps. I have noted in other threads that I should use Panasonic FM series but I cannot find a replacement for the 150uf 25V cap. Any suggestions, please?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi323 View Post
          Thanks to this forum, I have dismantled my monitor and discovered two bad caps - probably the same two as Geddon. Newbie2 added a reply to replace all the Hermei caps. I have noted in other threads that I should use Panasonic FM series but I cannot find a replacement for the 150uf 25V cap. Any suggestions, please?
          For the 150uF, 25V use Panasonic FR.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
          X