Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 953BW

Greetings!

Got a free monitor off Craigslist, problem is that it wouldn't power on. Opened it up, found bad caps, replaced them, and now it turns on. But nothing on the screen. Checked with a flashlight and can see the image on the screen.

Never had a monitor like this before... What next?

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 953BW

You have been here long enough to know what we want next. Pictures!
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I know, but I was hoping to find my camera by the time you posted! *Still looks for camera*....

Comment

Okay,

So I recently acquired ANOTHER one of these monitors so I have two of these to repair, each w/ it's own issue, so we'll just start with one.

The first one had bad caps and wouldn't power on, so I replaced the caps and now powers on, but it turns the display on and off for a few seconds and then it will stay on. It also makes high pitch noises when it does this. (Video below of what happens)

http://youtu.be/aO7aGVPB_kU
        Attached Files

Comment

Well I noticed you replaced most, but not all the caps so there still could be problems with the original caps.

That sound could be the ccfls high voltage arcing?

PS. Those are great photos.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
            Greetings!

Got a free monitor off Craigslist, problem is that it wouldn't power on. Opened it up, found bad caps, replaced them, and now it turns on. But nothing on the screen. Checked with a flashlight and can see the image on the screen.

Never had a monitor like this before... What next?
            This board has a fuse F301 for inverter power. Check it.

Comment

Originally posted by kbrletic View Post
              This board has a fuse F301 for inverter power. Check it.
              I'm not seeing a F301, did you mean VR 301?

EDIT: NVM! I see it... hiding behind the big caps... give me a min...

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Well I noticed you replaced most, but not all the caps so there still could be problems with the original caps.

That sound could be the ccfls high voltage arcing?

PS. Those are great photos.
                I replaced what I could but still getting that sound, it seems to be coming from the lower right corner where the cluster of caps are. Maybe I got a new 'bad' cap.

I'm half tempted to start board swapping between the two to at least get one good monitor working.

Comment

Monitor which works but does not have backligh, F301 is a common problem. Swap boards and see if it works.

Comment

Swapped power boards in the monitors and they're still doing the same thing, so obviously it's something on the boards themselves.

Comment

By this, I assume the power board that produces a strange sound has a faulty transformer. With a multimeter check the values on secondary side, this will help you with the values :

http://www.4shared.com/photo/LDJ9GV_...Schematic.html

Probably you have to raise the transformer from the board to get accurate values.

Comment

Hi -have you now got the boards back into their original machines.
                        Can you return to working on one at a time but leave the other in pieces for comparing/testing.
                        Are the boards in both the same and with the same revision.
                        Just to confirm the machine we are working on starts, back lights flash on and off accompanied by a noise then it works as normal?

If that is correct does any part of the panel have a pink tinge - may be just as it comes on.

Next test the ccfls as per retiredcaps 2 sec to black guide section5) Bad CCFL/wiring
                        post no 20 in https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Unplug one backlight from this panel then use the panel from the other set and plug one of its back lights into this set turn on and make a note if the start up problem changes. Then unplug the next backlight , plug the original first one back in and repeat using the SAME backlight from the spare panel and so on till you have tested all 4. If it is always the same try the test again using a different backlight from the spare machine (use one that is in the bottom of the panel if you can , they are usually better)
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                        X