Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapphire ATI HD3850 AGP

Hi guys,
    Back in 2010 I've recapped my motherboard ASRock 4coreDual-SATA2 R2.0 from United Chemi-Con TMZ (general) and Panasonic FJ (CPU voltage) to all Rubycon MCZ. (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12273)
    Over 50 caps to replace; everything went fine, but no serious performance improvement. It was just recap for fun.
    The caps were ordered from CapKing, a reliable source (sorry for mentioning, it's your competitor, but I live in Romania and shipping costs were important for me). Last MCZ stock, just after then Rubycon decided to stop producing MCZ series. The caps were fresh, produced in 2010 and looked genuine.

Now, in 2012, as I still have a few MCZ left from that order, I've decidee to play again the recap game and replace the United Chemi-Con KZG from the graphical card Sapphire ATI HD3850 AGP - just 3 caps, 2 x 680 μF/16V and 1 x 1500 μF/6.3V. The video card is older than the Rubycons, it's made in 2009, so there is not an issue of replacing fresh caps with 2-years stored MCZ.
    Well, the problem is that the HD38500 won't work at all with - the 1500 μF MCZ will only output 8-bit colors, and the otherw MCZ will just restart computer a few times a day. Replacing with the old ones... and voila - it work like a champ!
    I've checked caps with capacimeter and ESR meter, the ESR is very low, just like in specs, the capacity is slightly lower on all Rubycons I've received, but just a bit, nothing serious.

So, I don't understand, are Rubycon MCZ, the electrolytic cap series with the best specs ever worst that United Chemi-Con KZG? There are special aspects just for video cards and only those KZG fit there or the MCZ are not genuine? Looking back, the motherboard recap was a good thing or... ?

Thank you guys, any idea is welcomed.

Re: Sapphire ATI HD3850 AGP

there is also ripple to take into effect here. Usually its not an issue but somehow I think this cards vrm might be sensitive to it.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The 680uF MCZ are rated for 1850mA ripple & 0.018Ω ESR
      The 680uF KZG are rated for 1490mA ripple & 0.028Ω ESR

So they might be too good and cause the circuit to become unstable.
      This is quite common is powersupplies where the whole Pi Filter is designed or better said tuned for the components used in the circuit
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

So, probably it's a case of "too good for this one" I guess you're right, video cards' output frequency is very important and any replaced component might change the equilibrium.
        Thank you for your support guys.

Comment

Working...
        X