Unknown cheap PSU with blown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown cheap PSU with blown caps

so I have this cheap PSU with blown caps (huge surprise there), but it actually looks worth saving.
    its an Excellent XPower 300, and 2 of the caps are 2200uf and I cant see the other 2 or 3 blown caps.

So is it worth replacing the caps, or will it just blow them again?
    thanks for any help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cantThinkofaGoodName; 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM. Reason: attachments didnt work

Re: Unknown cheap PSU with blown caps

Post pictures. As clear as possible.

Not familiar with the brand name, but if you're lucky it could be an OEM design that's worth keeping around.
    Can't tell that without actually seeing the power supply internals.

Comment

pictures worked this time, check the post!

Comment

In my junk box, I have an Excellent XPower DR-C350. I got it for free and when I went to test it (via shorting out green to black), I smelled something burning inside. I opened it up to find bad caps and never bothered working on it again. I may get motivated one day to figure it out, but for now I keep it around for potential parts.

The one I have is very light in terms of weight which is a potential sign of the build quality and components used (i.e. bad).
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

mine weighs just as much as a good quality one, and it never smells bad at all. I've been using it in a custom workstation for 9 years and it still works 100% fine, but I dont want to risk them blowing and messing up somthing else. its fan is actually quiet and very good quality, the heatsinks aren't too small either. mine was made in 2003.

Comment

Well, based on the UL number, it's a Deer: http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...374&sequence=1

The page lists it as 12v @ 18A, 5v @ 26A , 3.3v @ 27A so the label of your ps is even more honest. Though I doubt it can make 10A at 12v.

I guess if you have a system that uses 150-200w max, it would be good... yeah, I'd recap it.

Those Cy (Saturn I think) capacitors are not the worst Chinese capacitors but the design is bad, they're around resistors that heat up a lot so eventually the capacitors cook.

ps. would probably be worth replacing the fan with a ball bearing based one. the one there is ball bearing, noisy.. and since it's so old you don't know how good it still is.
            Last edited by mariushm; 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help guys!

I have a dead lite on PSU from an HP that I'll take caps from. it just died with no bad caps, and no physical damage, so the caps should be fine. they are rubycon caps. I dont understand why the hp psu died with no failures, maybe a bad VRM...

but even though the rubycon filter caps are 3 years older than this PSU, it should be fine. the PSU is going into a Athlon 1GHz HP that the liteon died in, it has 1 HDD, 1 floppy, 2 CDROM drives, and a motherboard with an Nvidia TNT2 AGP GPU and a SB live soundcard, not much of a power hog, lol.

Comment

Working...
              X