Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metro 17SL LCD monitor with static / shimmer at 60 hz refresh

Hi there,

I have a Metro brand 17" LCD monitor purchased from futureshop in ?2006/2007 that had developed a funny thing.

At 60hz refresh rate; there would be static / shimmer on the screen.

At 75hz refresh rate; there was no problem.

Anyways, cracked it open a while ago; didn't see any bulging capacitors (which I expected) and so put it aside.

Recently got an ESR meter and found that one of 16volt 47 uF capacitors was showing a high esr value. They were located on the video board by the vga input connector (see picture)

Scavenged some caps off an old PCI sound card of equivalent rating (actually worse, since the scavenged caps were only 85 C rated) and put them in; not really knowing if that was the problem.

Anyways, poor soldering skills and all; got the caps on and restarted.

PROBLEM SOLVED. The screen now runs fine with no shimmer/static at 60hz refresh rate.

Anyways, just wanted to add this to the knowledge base since I haven't found anything on this in my google search.

For future reference; could I have used 100uF 16V capacitors instead?

BTW, out of circuit; the capacitance still tested fine but the ESR was ~ 7 ohm +.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Metro 17SL LCD monitor with static / shimmer at 60 hz refresh

Originally posted by kleung View Post
    For future reference; could I have used 100uF 16V capacitors instead?
    Difficult to give a generalized answer as it depends on the circuit and its role.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
    X