Acer Aspire 5536

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 5536

Hi guys a neighbour just asked me to fit a replacement hard drive old drive is failed as clicking etc (they supplied the new second hand one) and too re install windows vista home premium 64 bitfor them.
    I firsty wiped the hard drive zero filled it and ran hd tune which says no bad sectors etc so i reinstalled vista and activated it using the base sticker key and then installed all available drivers from the acer site. The problem im having is it wont update its been searching for updates for over 5 hours the laptop is connected via a ethernet wire. If this was my laptop i would just install windows 7 but theres a saying the customer is always rite, so i need to give vista a try any ideas guys.

Re: Acer Aspire 5536

Since Windows 10 come out, updates are very slow, for win 7 sometimes i need to wait 5 to 7 hours, this with a recent version (january 2016), if it's a old win 7 (without SP1) it can take much longer.
    My advice is to be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by passete View Post
      Since Windows 10 come out, updates are very slow, for win 7 sometimes i need to wait 5 to 7 hours, this with a recent version (january 2016), if it's a old win 7 (without SP1) it can take much longer.
      My advice is to be patient.
      Thanks for the advice i will leave it running overnight and see what happens.

Comment

Try installing the latest Windows update agent, currently: KB3138612
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48287
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          I will try this also and report back thanks again.
          Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-10-2016, 03:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

Here's the x86 and x64 version of the patch I use.
            Windows updates takes hours to find updates. After I install it, it takes a few minutes.
            P.S. The customer is not always right.

They are genuine and from Microsoft but this site doesn't allow msu files so i rared them.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by diif; 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Cheers guys i will try all your links etc and will update you all many thanks again (ps this neighbour is certainly not right about waqnting vista put back on i told them windows 7 would be a good up grade but they wont listen)

Comment

Vista keeps it legit, and it's not to bad as long as there's at least a couple of Gb of memory. Runs like a dog on some machines though.

Comment

It has 2gb memory and is a dual core about 2ghz cpu if i remember correctly ive fitted a 250gb hard drive too and re applied thermal paste and cleaned the fan and grill as was badly blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    Windows updates takes hours to find updates. After I install it, it takes a few minutes.
                    P.S. The customer is not always right.

They are genuine and from Microsoft but this site doesn't allow msu files so i rared them.
                    i just finish to install win7 and tried your patch, it's searching the updates since +/- 45 minutes, still nothing.
                    I prety sure that this is on purpose, to force people to use the shitty win 10.

Comment

Im running per hansson patch at the minute still searching been about 45 mins too and still nothing i may let it run all night and see in the morning.

Comment

Not just us having the new install update issues then ive just found this thread
                        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e3e9832?page=1

Comment

one tip i found, is to time to time click on start and see if it says updates available (on the turn off tab), if so i just turn it off, then it starts installing the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                            Originally posted by diif View Post
                            Originally posted by passete View Post
                            i just finish to install win7 and tried your patch, it's searching the updates since +/- 45 minutes, still nothing.
                            Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            Im running per hansson patch at the minute still searching been about 45 mins too and still nothing i may let it run all night and see in the morning.
                            Some info: The patch I posted is just the latest version of what diif posted.
                            It's the "Windows update agent" which gets updated almost monthly.
                            In any case when you run Windows update the latest version should be found first and downloaded, i.e. currently KB3138612.
                            After that is done the rest of the updates should be found.

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            It has 2gb memory and is a dual core about 2ghz cpu if i remember correctly ive fitted a 250gb hard drive too and re applied thermal paste and cleaned the fan and grill as was badly blocked.
                            This is your problem, Windows Update has become so bloated that it uses gigs of RAM, I can get it to work with 3GB but it's a stretch.
                            4GB is really the minimum.
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

it would be hilarious if it turns out m$ is being DDOS'd by all the damned "telemetry"

Comment

A update ive left the laptop running all night its now found 208 updates so in going too try too install them, whilst its doing them im going to search through my pc parts to see if i have any more memory as even before i tried to update the vista new install it seemed rather slow even doing the basic tasks as in opening the windows update page a blank box would open the the centre would then fill in with the details if that makes sence, i just hope the hard drive isnt faulty i ran the health check and no bad sectors etc it just seems slow maybe the updates will help we will see i guess.

Comment

Hi guys just trying too finish this laptop of so i can give it back all available updates have installed ok and seems too be running fine except one problem no exe files will load ive just tried vlc player it wont load but if i move it from the pc too a usb flash drive it works and installs fine from there any ideas as this is happening with most downloaded exe files many thanks.

Comment

What happens when you right click and run as administrator on an exe ?
                                    Check out the UAC settings.

Comment

uac turned off nothing happens when run as administrator ive just tried the microsoft auto fix update didnt work its odd i can say download vlc player it goes into downloads folder as usual it wont open i then move it to a usb flash drive its opens ok and installs on the pc

Comment

A little update as i was still having trouble loading exe files on vista etc i decided to start from scratch ive added 0ne more gig of matching memory so now has 3 gig total, i then totaly wiped the hard drive and just installed windows 7 home premium so going to try that, its updating as we speak so time will tell i guess.
                                        Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-15-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X