samsung t200hd won't power up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: samsung t200hd won't power up

Hi - Happy Christmas - Just re read your query re Cold/secondary and have deleted my thoughts. Also this may help with the SMPS-controller http://www.fairchildsemi.com/sitesea...itemap+id&ia=1
    Last edited by selldoor; 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM. Reason: Misread the query- too much Christmas frivolity!!
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The replacement cap is an axial cap. Got it from a television repare store in the village where I live in. Do you imply there's a fundamental difference in composition between axial and radial capacitors other than the position of the poles?

The original cap gave 0.0 Vdc, so does the new one.

Comment

@selldoor:

Thanks for the warning Already did so and after I unplugged the board I wait some time and then short all the caps with a screwdriver to make sure I don't get a jolt. This wouldn't damage the capacitors would it?

Comment

Originally posted by jananas View Post
          D201C: 0.178V out of range
          D201B: 0.178V out of range
          D201A: 0.178V out of range
          The above are all good.

D202,

1(+) - 2(-): 0,208V ..................... 1(-) - 2(+): out of range
          2(+) - 3(-): out of range .............. 2(-) - 3(+): 0,207 V
          1(+) - 3(-): 0,001V ......................1(-) - 3(+): 0,001V
          When you see a diode like this -><-, that is really two diodes in one physical package. The readings that matter are 1-2, 2-1 and 2-3, 3-2.

D202 is good.

Quick question about terminology: Do you mean by secondary side, the cold site?
          Yes. Also known as B+ sometimes.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            Also this may help with the SMPS-controller http://www.fairchildsemi.com/sitesea...itemap+id&ia=1
            If you refer to

page 3 will have the pinouts. Notice the notch or dot will indicate pin 1.

Pin 4 is GND and pin 6 is Vcc. Measure the resistance between these 2 pins. Set your multimeter on 200 ohms scale.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got it from a television repare store in the village where I live in.
              A SMPS application requires low ESR caps.

See post #19, section 1

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=19
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

IF the SMPS pin 4 and 6 are NOT shorted, then desolder ZD101 and retest out of circuit. If it is indeed shorted, that is likely the problem.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  ZD101 is definitely shorted.

Otherwise, the voltage could be inferred from the SMPS controller.

Page 13 has a parts list for the Typical Application Circuit (page 11).

ZD101 is listed as a Fairchild 1N4744.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

then short all the caps with a screwdriver
                    Most modern electronics will have some sort of bleeder resistor that discharges the caps after a minute or two.

You can also verify that a large capacitor is discharged by measuring the DC voltage across the legs. A discharged capacitor will read close to 0.0 V DC.

If you have to discharge a capacitor, see

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_sm...ml#SMPSFAQ_019
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

@selldoor:

Thanks for the warning Already did so and after I unplugged the board I wait some time and then short all the caps with a screwdriver to make sure I don't get a jolt. This wouldn't damage the capacitors would it?
                      I am just learning myself but a Senior Member Longbow said this a few weeks back:A good rule of thumb is to never use a screwdriver to discharge a capacitor. This method can damage the cap very easily and it will take a bite out of the screwdriver. The larger the uF value, the more like a welder the cap can be. Have a convenient 100 ohm 5 watt resistor handy for discharging caps. For tube equipment you can use a 1K resistor due to higher voltages. Put probes on the resistor if you want.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        If you have to discharge a capacitor, see

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_sm...ml#SMPSFAQ_019
                        I'll keep that one in mind.

Just tested the smps-controller.

1.2 ohms--> I would say not shorted, correct?

Comment

Just tested the smps-controller.

1.2 ohms--> I would say not shorted, correct?
                          Those readings suggest the SMPS is shorted. However, it could be because ZD101 is shorted and causing the readings on the SMPS to appear shorted.

To find out for sure, do the following.

1) Remove (desolder) ZD101 because it is way easier to do than the SMPS controller.

2) Retest ZD101 with your diode function. Report findings.

3) With ZD101 out of the board now, re-measure the resistance between pin 4 to pin 6. Report findings.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just to make sure we are measuring the correct SMPS pins, I marked pins 4 and 6.
                            Attached Files
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I desoldered ZD101.

New measurements:
                              SMPS-controller: pin 4-pin 6: 36.2 Ohms
                              ZD101: 0,001V - 0,002V

Looks like the problem is located than. I'll try to get an replacement and update.

Do diodes die from non-specific causes or should I look for an ultimate cause of the diode becoming shorted?

Comment

Just out of interest I think this is the same board as in the 933HD see "SAMSUNG 933HD exploded" I have looked at the electrotanya schematics for both models but they dont seem to have any info on the IP Board.

Comment

SMPS-controller: pin 4-pin 6: 36.2 Ohms
                                  ZD101: 0,001V - 0,002V

Do diodes die from non-specific causes or should I look for an ultimate cause of the diode becoming shorted?
                                  See if the diode has any markings to indicate it might be a 1N4744.

The pin 4 to pin 6 is still a bit low, but let's assume it is good for now.

The diode may have blown from you shorting out the board. Sometimes they die of age and use.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                    Just out of interest I think this is the same board as in the 933HD see "SAMSUNG 933HD exploded"
                                    Wow, I don't remember that board from 11 months ago. Good eye to spot that.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Happy new year,

Here's an update of the last week.

Finally got to an electronics store in the neighbourhood to get the zenerdiode replacement. I printed out the specifications-sheet from fairchild and gave it to him. He told me he had it in store and gave me a 15W zenerdiode.

Measurements after soldering it in:

Secondary (output) Voltages --> all 0
                                      Voltage over the start-up cap --> 0

Resistance over the start-up cap -->36.2 Ohms
                                      Resistance over the SMPS-controller --> 36.2 Ohms (pin 4-pin 6)

Wondering why it still didn't work I looked up the diode again and saw that it should be 1/4W.

Multiplying the Nominal Zener voltage with the Iz Test Current from the specifications I gave too the shopowner:

15 [V] * 17 [mA] = 0.255 W

I can imagine this is a reason why it wouldnt work. Will try to get a new one and doublecheck if I got a shop-owner who knows what he is talking about.

Kind regards,

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                      X