Viewsonic VP201B Monitor Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VP201B Monitor Problem

Hello Badcaps people....My name is Greg and I am Clueless in Indianapolis. I'll be honest and say that I am an old man and NOT so tech savvy. I have been having a problem lately with my monitor and have been trying to do some internet research about possible problems. I came across this website which seems to have some very helpful people who might be able to shed some light in my direction. It would be much appreciated.

I have a Viewsonic VP201B which just started acting up. The problem is that it is shutting itself down randomly after awhile. It can happen anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. When this happens, the display goes black and the power led goes OFF. If I unplug the monitor and let it set for 30 seconds and plug it back in, I am good to go for another interval. I have tried to find out the problem by searching the internet and trying to solve the problem without asking stupid questions to knowledgeable people but with no luck. While trying to research this problem and have been able to locate many, many posts (here and elsewhere) about a problem with capacitors where the display goes black and the power led either blinks green, stays on and is green or is amber. I either am not using the right pattern of search words or just am missing problems with my particular situation for some reason.

Things I have done include:

01. Changing out video cables.
    02. Using the monitor with another computer.
    03. Using a different power cord.
    04. Bypassing the outlet strip and connecting directly to the wall outlet.

All of these have failed to remedy the situation and I have yet to open up the monitor yet as I was hoping for some opinions about possible causes. Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg

Re: Viewsonic VP201B Monitor Problem

Originally posted by Clueless
    Hello Badcaps people....My name is Greg and I am Clueless in Indianapolis. I'll be honest and say that I am an old man and NOT so tech savvy. I have been having a problem lately with my monitor and have been trying to do some internet research about possible problems. I came across this website which seems to have some very helpful people who might be able to shed some light in my direction. It would be much appreciated.

I have a Viewsonic VP201B which just started acting up. The problem is that it is shutting itself down randomly after awhile. It can happen anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. When this happens, the display goes black and the power led goes OFF. If I unplug the monitor and let it set for 30 seconds and plug it back in, I am good to go for another interval. I have tried to find out the problem by searching the internet and trying to solve the problem without asking stupid questions to knowledgeable people but with no luck. While trying to research this problem and have been able to locate many, many posts (here and elsewhere) about a problem with capacitors where the display goes black and the power led either blinks green, stays on and is green or is amber. I either am not using the right pattern of search words or just am missing problems with my particular situation for some reason.

All of these have failed to remedy the situation and I have yet to open up the monitor yet as I was hoping for some opinions about possible causes. Thanks for any thoughts.

Greg
    That model is prone to power failures due to bloated caps on the PSU. You must open the unit and change the 2 or three (I can't remember well, but I think they're three) 1000uf 25v caps on the PSU and your problem will almost for sure be gone. Post the cap data and PlainBill, PCBONEZ, Willawake or one of our other senior members will point you on the right direction.
    Oh, and Welcome to the Forums
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thank you very much, eguevarae. I appreciate it. I have been gone the past couple of days but I am going to open it up tonight and take a look around. This site is great.

Greg

Comment

Thank you very much, eguevarae. I appreciate it. I have been gone the past couple of days but I am going to open it up tonight and take a look around. This site is great.

Greg
        Any news on this Greg?
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Just repaired a power supply for one of these units (VP201/VP211b).
          The C11 (22uf 50v Nichicon PW(M)) was bad and it caused the PSU to deliver just 3.80~4.12v instead of 18v.
          Also replaced main filter cap (the big fat guy) because one leg was loose.
          Now the PSU bring the logic board & company to a nice shinning green led.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Greg
            Hello Clueless,

The problem you're having is quite common with VP201b's as they age. The problem is with the INVERTER board. They are not available anymore for swap out from ViewSonic since their source quite making them, however, I have a company that does repairs to them quite quickly and cheaply. I run 8 of these monitors (5 on a MacPro, 2 on a PC and 1 on a MacMini) for years now and I do all of my own board replacements. I keep a supply of extra logic boards and inverters on hand. I've never had a power supply go out in over 10+ years on any of these units, but many, many logic and inverter boards... especially the inverter boards. Removing the board is quite simple. You can easily figure it out when you open the case. Remove the 4 screws then "pop" the case open by working a flat screwdriver to separate the case at one point and working it around. Don't worry, you won't break the case.

The contact name for these inverter (and all inverter boards) is:
            Jim Arndt
            TechCo Sales and Service Inc.
            714-894-5956 / fax 894-2108
            techcosales.com

I don't monitor this site. I was just surfing for some junked 201b's. I need some LCD displays since a few of my 8 units are starting to "leak".

Frank
            mail@pulsarprofx.com
            Last edited by Frank Miller; 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Miller
              Hello Clueless,

The problem you're having is quite common with VP201b's as they age. The problem is with the INVERTER board. They are not available anymore for swap out from ViewSonic since their source quite making them, however, I have a company that does repairs to them quite quickly and cheaply. I run 8 of these monitors (5 on a MacPro, 2 on a PC and 1 on a MacMini) for years now and I do all of my own board replacements. I keep a supply of extra logic boards and inverters on hand. I've never had a power supply go out in over 10+ years on any of these units, but many, many logic and inverter boards... especially the inverter boards. Removing the board is quite simple. You can easily figure it out when you open the case. Remove the 4 screws then "pop" the case open by working a flat screwdriver to separate the case at one point and working it around. Don't worry, you won't break the case.

Jim Arndt
              techcosales.com

I don't monitor this site. I was just surfing for some junked 201b's. I need some LCD displays since a few of my 8 units are starting to "leak".

Frank
              mail@pulsarprofx.com
              Not to sound rude or anything, I really don't intend such, but people usually come here asking how to recap boards, not where to buy repaired boards. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Miller
                Hello Clueless,

Jim Arndt
                techcosales.com

Frank
                mail@pulsarprofx.com
                I feel proud that in just a year I have fixed 5 power supplies more than you in your 10+ years of experience .....
                And if you can read ( I bet you can, after 10+ years of fixing logic boards) you MUST know that clueless wrote "...the display goes black and the power led goes OFF...".
                Also, you should be aware that the bulging caps on VP201 & VP211 Viewsonics is a known problem.
                And if you can read (now I am PRETTY SURE YOU CAN) you should know that you can't advertise in the forum.
                Last edited by EGuevarae; 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM.
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by EGuevarae View Post
                  Just repaired a power supply for one of these units (VP201/VP211b).
                  The C11 (22uf 50v Nichicon PW(M)) was bad and it caused the PSU to deliver just 3.80~4.12v instead of 18v.
                  Also replaced main filter cap (the big fat guy) because one leg was loose.
                  Now the PSU bring the logic board & company to a nice shinning green led.
                  Fixed my problem, thanks. Old cap measure 4uf instead of 22uf.

Comment

Working...
                  X