Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to buy a USB oscilloscope. Can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to buy a USB oscilloscope. Can you help?

I barely know how to use one, so I don't want to spend a ton, but I would like to learn to use one and it may come in handy in some TV repairs. I have noticed the USB versions are much cheaper than a table top unit but I am worried they may be inferior. Are there specs I should be looking for in a unit? I don't want to buy something that is not sensitive enough or just not worthy of the job. I also know that the probes make a difference, but that's as much as I know. What probes should I be looking for?

Re: I would like to buy a USB oscilloscope. Can you help?

Don't bother, they ARE inferior and slow... with bandwidth of about 5-10 Mhz compared to 50-60 Mhz for the cheapest desktop ones.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I figured. I will search for a nice used one.

Comment

Even a 50 MHz analogue scope will be more useful than a crusty USB scope.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The sampling rate is often specified for only one channel.
          Also take into account operating system support (especially 64-bit) - a scope with a USB port for recording (and for some models, adding brief notes) is a good feature.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
          X