Dell 2007FPb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2007FPb problems

So, I had a Dell 2007FPb which would power off and back on every so often, randomly. Picture goes off, then immediately the Dell logo comes on the screen as the monitor goes through its power up sequence. Eventually, this monitor died and would not power on at all.

Today, a second Dell 2007FPb started having the same problem. So, I pulled the totally dead one and after reading various different sources of data (including the board here), I opened it up and inspected the boards. 3 bulging caps on the power supply board -- so I replaced them. Also replaced 2 on the inverter board which looked slightly suspicious. Put it back together, fired it up and it worked! An hour later, it died again totally - would not power on again. Now I am scratching my head as I was sure it was those caps and I am not sure where to go from here on fixing this monitor (plus the 2nd one which is starting to die in the same way).

Am I on the wrong track here? I didn't see anything else that looked bad inspecting the boards. Anyone else have a problem like this with a Dell monitor?
    Last edited by zzmyers; 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM. Reason: Add data.

Re: Dell 2007FPb problems

Originally posted by zzmyers View Post
    3 bulging caps on the power supply board -- so I replaced them.
    1) What brand and series did you use for replacements? If you used general purpose caps from Radio Shack, they aren't the right caps for a SMPS application (which requires low ESR).

2) Capacitors (C designation on the PCB board) die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

3) Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL electrolytic capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

The exception might be the largest filter cap since it rarely, but not never, fails.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-07-2011, 01:12 AM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Dell 2007FPb problems

That make sense as I did just pick up some caps from a local audio shop but they were nothing fancy. I'll go ahead and get some of the recommended caps and replace everything on the power supply. Especially as I have 2 failing the same way, the filter cap does not seem so likely so I will skip that one.

Frustrating to have it almost fixed, but not quite. I'm going to pull it all apart again later today and spec out all my caps and go from there. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X