Hanns_G HG281D with flashing/blinking screen problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns_G HG281D with flashing/blinking screen problems

That is called the t-con or timing control board. If it were bad, the VGA wouldn't work at all.

I believe the problem to be likely on the logic board.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yep thats where the HDMI port is so can I get a new one of those from the factory or is it repairable? btw, I gotta say you are a very nice person to do this for people like you do, this board is the tops! It is all very appreciated!

Comment

Was there a result for this test?

Hookup via HDMI, put your computer into BIOS setup mode and leave it on that screen for 5 minutes. Does the lcd flash on/off?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok I will after dinner.

Comment

OK I tired that and the bios screen did NOT flash on and off with the HDMI cable

Comment

Originally posted by Barq View Post
              OK I tired that and the bios screen did NOT flash on and off with the HDMI cable
              1) Okay, one other test. Hookup Vista computer using VGA. Set the adapter to the highest resolution (tell us what it is). Leave it on for 5 minutes. Does it flash on/off?

2) What is the highest resolution on the adapter for the HDMI port?

After this test, I have one theory and will see if others agree or not.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have 2 4hd 4870's in or out of crossfire it still flashes. It is capable of much higher resolutions than this monitor can support. I run the monitor at 1920x 1200 and the same with vga I will do the test but I know it wont flash. The monitor Im on right now is vga and it doesnt flash. remember one thing if this matters at all. My video cards have dual dvi ports and anything else is done by an ati adapter dvi-hdmi, dvi-vga. One other thing, I always thought the video from the bios is analogous till the OS kicks in? ok gonna do the test BRB

Comment

ok ran it with vga cable, No Flashing screen stable. As far as HDMI max res, Im not sure anymore but its much higher than 1920x1200. I can set this vga monitor to 2048x1536 .

Comment

just checked my adapter is capable of 2560x1600
                    Last edited by Barq; 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

just checked my adapter is capable of 2560x1600
                      For fun, can you set the HDMI adapter to 1280x1024 and see if the display is stable for 60 seconds?

If yes, go up on "notch" in the resolution setting until the lcd blinks off/on.

Conversely, if it flashes on/off at 1280x1024, can you go down to the next lowest resolution?

I'm trying to see if the HDMI is stable at certain resolutions or not. We know at the BIOS screen, the HDMI port works reliably.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok, I have been running it at 1280x1024 while testing so Ill try lower resolutions but too low and it wont work. brb

Comment

WEll guess what? I set up a dual scren display and turned the res down on the LCD and restarted. It quit flashing and hasnt flashed since. I turned back up to 1900x1200 and its not flashing. wierd. Its like by turning the res down it recalibrted or something. Im not thinking its fixed though. Im gonna cut a hole in the back of the case for a small fan with a good filter on it so I dont blow dust in to it. and hole so I can get to it and blow it all clean.

Comment

Well darn ater restarting it a couple times it went back to not working and then I reset it to lower than HD setting and restarted and it works fine. so I think you figured it out. must be HD logic circuit? Ill check back tommorrow and see what else you got for me, guess I need a whole new logic board?

Comment

Ill check back tommorrow and see what else you got for me, guess I need a whole new logic board?
                              Most here at badcaps try to do component level repair versus board swapping. It is cheaper and you get way more satisfaction. It is too early to say you need a replacement logic board.

I do have one idea. Since you are an electrican, you may have access to a multimeter than can measure capacitance?

See why you may need one by reading PlainBill's explanation at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...13&postcount=7

"If memory serves, a year or more ago someone substituted a higher value cap in the power supply of his signal card and discovered it wouldn't work at the higher resolutions. Installing the proper value corrected that."

It might be possible that one or more of the caps on the logic board is not measuring up to their rated uF. For example, a 330uF 25V cap might only measure 100uF which *might* be causing the lcd not being able to support the higher resolutions.

We know the lcd is rock solid at the low resolution BIOS screen and we know it is rock solid for VGA input.

I, however, cannot begin to tell you which caps might be in th HDMI "circuit path". It is possible that certain caps or components are separated. That is, one for VGA and one for HDMI.

The caps on the logic board are normally not low ESR caps (more likely general purpose). So if you want to take a chance, I might recommend using Panasonic FC caps for replacements. FC are "entry level" low ESR caps, but I think they should work fine in the logic board.

Also the sparkle comment was mentioned in this post and resolved by replacing the caps on the logic board. See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=51
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok heres the volatages
                                Something is really bugging me about your monitor, when you are using HDMI your back lights are flashing on and off. But you indicate that all the voltages are steady.
                                When you measured the voltages where the back lights flashing?
                                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Good points, retiredcaps. It had slipped my mind, but one of the first monitors I repaired (A VP211b, if I recall) had a flakey signal card. It wouldn't run at maximum resolution when it got warm. I never did solve that one, but the signal board from another VP211b worked fine. There were over a dozen surface mount electrolytic caps on the signal card, and I didn't care to try and replace all of them.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Im afraid I have to put it on the backburner today as I am working on my van today. Tonight I will do what I can to get it flashing then I will test voltages again to be sure as it wasnt flashing then. Retiredcaps I think you are right. However while I have it apart I see no reason not to just replace all the caps on the power supply as they seem easy to get to and are larger and I dont want to take it apart again later because one of them failed. Also, I will test the caps on the logic board on the side where the hdmi port is. I may just order all the caps on the logic board and get rid of those too. If it fails this has been a great learning experience for me. I will also be looking for broken screen monitors like mine to buy for parts. But I will do all the testing first. Be back later.

Comment

btw It used to always make a pop/click sound when I turned it on so Im pretty sure its a cap some where and it just dont show.

Comment

However while I have it apart I see no reason not to just replace all the caps on the power supply as they seem easy to get to and are larger and I dont want to take it apart again later because one of them failed. Also, I will test the caps on the logic board on the side where the hdmi port is. I may just order all the caps on the logic board and get rid of those too.
                                        I think to replace all your caps (inverter, power, and logic) would probably cost around $20 from digikey. For me, I would spend $20 to try and fix a 28 inch monitor.

If you choose to recap everything, may I suggest recapping just the logic board and retesting for flashing on/off? I would like to find the root cause. Then, afterwards, you can recap everything else.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Will do. I cant get to it tonight but I want to know exactly what it is too.

Comment

Working...
                                          X