Hanns_G HG281D with flashing/blinking screen problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns_G HG281D with flashing/blinking screen problems

Hi everyone I have the above monitor and from the beginning of owning it, After starting it I would hear a pop in the back. Now it has started flashing on and off. Its still on and the blue light is on the screen is flashing. So Im thinking BAD CAPS. Also a couple of times I had blinking pixels like sparkles but that ended when I would unplug it and power it on and off to drain it. than it would go away. Please be kind to me I understand elctricity pretty well, (used to be an electrician) but electronics components are not something I have tackled and my skills at soldering should allow me to replace the caps.
    As far as testing I have a multi tester and can, if guided do what testing I need to. If it does sound like caps should a person go use the kits on EBAY? I will include pics of circuitry I have. Thanks in advance for your help/
    Attached Files

Re: Hanns_G HG281D with flashing/blinking screen problems

We have cases where caps with high ESR on this board cause power problems.

If your board is similar to this one

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...2&d=1302978990

then on the backside (bottom left hand corner in pic) there should be markings for all those voltages.

List them all and there reported voltages. Note if they are steady or fluctuating.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Barq View Post
      If it does sound like caps should a person go use the kits on EBAY?
      No. Most sellers on ebay either sell crap or fake caps. Stick with digikey, mouser, or if possible badcaps.net store. These 3 sell quality low ESR caps which are required in a SMPS application.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        No. Most sellers on ebay either sell crap or fake caps. Stick with digikey, mouser, or if possible badcaps.net store. These 3 sell quality low ESR caps which are required in a SMPS application.
        Thank you for your response it is appeciated. So, does what I have going on sound like caps? I guess I should start with caps and then see how it works? and go from there? The sparkly pixeled screen had me thinking it could be something else as well. Also this started after having a power outage and I ran the comp off of a modified power inverter from battery backup system. Could this have caused the problem?

Comment

oops didnt see the other post above, ill see about the voltages being listed. -- NO VOLTAGES LISTED, Also I note it is a Revision 1 I will have to put it back together and test.
          Last edited by Barq; 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I guess I should start with caps and then see how it works? and go from there?
            Start with the voltage measurements.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This is what the back looks like not sure which to test.
              Attached Files

Comment

Your photos of the front are a bit out of focus and not at the correct angle, but most of the connectors (top left in your picture) have a legend.

You want to measure the DC voltage of all those pins on all connectors and list them here. For example,

CN01

pin# - legend - actual measurement
                pin 1 - 5V SB - 4.95V
                pin 2 - GND - 0V
                pin 12 - 12V - 12.05V

Use a ground screw for your black probe.

If there is no legend, post a clear focused pic of the connectors and mark up the pic with your own numbering scheme and voltage measurement.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok a quick question, does it have to have be connected to computer hdmi to test or just turning it on will work?

Comment

does it have to have be connected to computer hdmi to test or just turning it on will work?
                    It doesn't need to be connected to a computer. Just turn it on.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

heres the thing, It has a cns1 a cns2 and a cns3 jumper. There is nothing connected to cns3 and when I turn it on it has voltage for a second then it drops out as it sees theres no input and the indicator light turns yellow the only pin that has constant voltage is the #5 pin on cns2 it wavers between 5.1 and 5.2 so its hard to read the others

Comment

Okay, hookup a computer then and re-measure the voltages.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Dose this monitor have an inverter that's separate from the P/S?
                          If so could you post a picture of the inverter?
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

The way I work is I usually like to have "probable cause" in order to recommend some action. While replacing the caps might fix your lcd, without any hard data, it is a "blind" decision.

And no I'm not a law enforcement person, but I do watch a lot of Law and Order. :-)

PS. There are 7 other threads regarding this same lcd and new caps have solved most of the issues.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok heres the volatages
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                                Dose this monitor have an inverter that's separate from the P/S?
                                If so could you post a picture of the inverter?
                                Im not sure there is a long board that goes down the side of the screen could that be it?

Comment

Im not sure there is a long board that goes down the side of the screen could that be it?
                                  Yes.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    Yes.
                                    you want a pic of that too? oh duh I see you already said too ok in few ill get it up.
                                    Last edited by Barq; 06-12-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

you want a pic of that too?
                                      Yes, because the inverter board has caps on it and we want to see the condition of the board. Often browning indicates something is running hot or potentially not right.
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok heres the volatages
                                        Those voltages look good. One of the 5.1V is probably your standby power (the other 5.1V probably goes to the logic board). The 12V and 24V DC indicate the SMPS is working (otherwise you would not have secondary voltages).

Now let's measure the voltage regulators on the logic board. I circled one in red and one in yellow.

1) What are the part numbers?
                                        2) What is the DC voltage of each pin?

Depending on what you find, this may lead to some recommendation as per my post #14.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X