A Tale of Twelve TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale of Twelve TVs

Each year around beginning of May our local Council has a big household clean out pickup service where old frig microwaves bbqs etc including tvs are placed on the kerb for collection - a scavengers paradise! About 10 days before this I advertise on local Facebook buy swap sell for non-working flat screen tv's of about 40" or over. This year I had immediate response with six offered to me and messages then advising where others had been put out for collection. In the end I got twelve and one of the reasons I think was that these tv's were headed for a compactor truck then landfill which I mentioned in the ad.
    The make up of the sets was age 2008 - 2011 models with 5 being name sets (LG and Samsung) the others Chinese generics marketed by electronic chains and Aldi with their in house brands one of which I had never heard of (GVA) there was only one plasma and only 4 had remotes (don't they lead a hard life!).I have very limited workspace so as they came in I did a quick test noted make model year if available on label and what was the basic problem. Strangely enough a number of them had sound ok plus a picture ranging from good to polarised. The mix was 2 x no start, 1x slow to start then ok, 3 x picture problem, 4 x sound no picture, 1 x intermittent picture, 1 x LG plasma which owner advised went pop and went off with no restart. Now we get down to the nitty gritty.
    First I decided would be the not starts and sure enough there were 2 x2200uf 10v caps gone so placed an order for 10 rated 16v and after opening the next two sets I only had 3 of those left with two sets now up and running while the third wouldn't do anything now - it was the slow to go one then I found a post on forums very adamant that when recapping that psu a certain small 33uf also had to be replaced - I put in a used 47uf and it worked. One of the sets was working but no remote and buttons on set fiddly to operate - one of the people had given me two sets not working saying he only used them to watch dvds of which he had hundreds so I asked him if he would like this one which he did so set it up for his player and that cleared one out. The GVA a 50" set had a weird toned picture all purplish on the blacks but it came with remote and was in excellent cosmetic condition. I tried several times to adjust the picture setting which were all over the place but it kept reverting to the strange settings until a I saw the reset command which I clicked on then on yes and off went the screen to come back on with a very nice picture - so good my wife claimed the set for her sport viewing (tennis and oz cricket team). The other sets I diagnosed 3 with inverter problems one of which I fixed with a new board for $12 and another by building up the solder contacts on the board tabs going into screen feeds - got that idea off a post here and it fixed the intermittent picture about 8 tabs with 2 contacts each one. I get my parts mainly from China although have had some from UK, USA, and even Poland. I'm away from home now past 5 weeks and have 3 t-cons to fit when I get back - they take from 4 - 6 weeks to arrive and I'm hopeful of at least 2 fixed. The plasma is a problem as I think both the Y and Z boards may be gone and I don't like spending any more than $30 on a tv fix. The last set to I have to work on is a Samsung can't get backlight on, all voltages ok and circuit working as I did get them to flash briefly when poking and prodding but it is 10 years old so if a reflow of inverter or some such doesn't work it may yet make the tip. At least when I do take one out there it does go to a recycling centre and not to a compactor!!
    Last edited by maxvalutech; 06-22-2017, 06:30 PM.

Re: A Tale of Twelve TVs

awesome.

the gva is the rebranded tv from harvey norman. i have seen several with eeprom issues and output diodes on the ps.

just out of curiosity (as another aussie that struggles to find used boards at a half decent price), where do you source your boards from?

thanks mvt.
    WHY CAN'T PHILIPS USE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREWS?

Comment

Hi. Yes board prices here are ridiculous like asking $150 for a board for a 6 year old tv that itself is worth only about $90 in good working order.
      I generally search under model and board number (separately) on Google , ebay both USA and au, and also aliexpress though not so much luck there now as previously. Must mention I'm heading for 80 y.o. so maybe the donors take pity on me !! lol
      Edit = also dhgate.com for parts but nuisance value too until you unsubscribe your email address.
      Last edited by maxvalutech; 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
        Hi. Yes board prices here are ridiculous like asking $150 for a board for a 6 year old tv that itself is worth only about $90 in good working order.
        I generally search under model and board number (separately) on Google , ebay both USA and au, and also aliexpress though not so much luck there now as previously. Must mention I'm heading for 80 y.o. so maybe the donors take pity on me !! lol
        Edit = also dhgate.com for parts but nuisance value too until you unsubscribe your email address.
        Sounds like MXMEE prices? this is where if you can find common faults and get down to component level it can be a lot cheaper that way.

Comment

Working...
        X