Princeton VL193 intermittent flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Princeton VL193 intermittent flicker

My VL193 flickers intermittently. The flicker usually goes away when I power it off and power it back on but sometimes it remains. I have posted pictures of an overhead view of the power supply and two closeups of the inverter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ravenor; 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM.

Re: Princeton VL193 intermittent flicker

1) It could be those two caps on the inverter board that are causing the flickering.

2) Check the DC voltages on the connector to the inverter board and see if they are stable or fluctuating.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

How would I test the DC voltage? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to troubleshooting electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenor View Post
        How would I test the DC voltage?
        Do you have a multimeter? If yes, post a picture of it.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes I have one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes I have one.
            Okay, one retiredcaps' bonus point for having a Fluke 83 III.

1) Set your Fluke 83 III to DC volts (2nd switch position - V with the solid line and dash line).

2) Plug in and power on your lcd. Hookup a working computer displaying your favourite wallpaper.

3) Put your black probe on a ground screw on the inverter board.

4) Put your red probe on each colored wire on connector CN1 on the inverter board.

5) Number each pin and report each DC voltage reading. See if the readings are stable or fluctuating during the flicker.

See my fellow Canadian Afrotechmods' excellent multimeter tutorial (5 minutes long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. If you ever think about selling your Fluke 83 III, send me a PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Post a picture of the logic/main board as well. Flickering could also be due to a bad voltage regulator on the logic/main board. Bad caps on the logic/main board is another possible cause.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have tested all the voltages and they are all stable(they changed by at most 0.01 volts). Here's the mainboard.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    PS. If you ever think about selling your Fluke 83 III, send me a PM.
                    Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'll be selling it soon.

Comment

Here's the mainboard.
                      I circled what I think are 3 voltage regulators.

1) Plug in lcd and power on. Hookup a working computer again. Put your Fluke 83 III into DC voltage.

2) Put your black probe on a ground screw on the main board.

3) Put your red probe on each pin of each component except for the top tab.

4) List the part number of each component and its DC voltage reading for each pin.

5) Report findings like so

IC100
                      part number = 7805
                      pin 1 = 0.0V
                      pin 2 = 5.0V
                      etc

6) Try to take this readings while the monitor is flickering.
                      Attached Files
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think I've solved the problem for now. It turns out that the refresh rate was set to 75Hz, after I changed it to 60Hz, the problem went away.

Comment

I think I've solved the problem for now. It turns out that the refresh rate was set to 75Hz, after I changed it to 60Hz, the problem went away.
                          I setup my Windows only to show supported refresh rates.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Same here, and 75Hz was supported but it still caused the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X