This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

All those little caps were replaced with Mostly Rubycon YXF and one each of nichicon PW, and Panny FC. If it helps, the voltage on the 5VSB is very stable.

Comment

And before, those also were all low-ESR caps?
      Last edited by Behemot; 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
        And before, those also were all general purpose caps?
        Hard to say, since all the ones before were CS and Canicon with no series I could go by the ESR, but who knows how much it has changed in 10+ years

Comment

Typo, I meant low-ESR.

They really have no markings?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
            All those little caps were replaced with Mostly Rubycon YXF and one each of nichicon PW, and Panny FC. If it helps, the voltage on the 5VSB is very stable.
            You can't go esr higher than YXF and FC. The whining is not due to the caps being too low esr.

Comment

OFC you can, standard caps like Nichicon VZ, NCC KMG have higher ESR. YXF is only slightly higher than PW.

Comment

No markings on the caps whatsoever except 105C and early 2004 date codes. I thought that maybe the caps needed to be "broken in" so I let the PSU run over the weekend, but it's still whining. It's a high pitched whine, and can only be heard at certain angles. Could it be something ridiculous such as it not being grounded properly, or a bad joint somewhere? All I can think of that I changed on the PSU is trimming leads, readjusting PG/PS_ON wires, redoing some blobby joints, and changing the caps.

Comment

I would check all those things that you mention.

In my opinion a psu that has problem with YXF/FC and needs higher esr caps to function is not worth bothering.

Comment

Yeah, it's a nice PSU though. Bizarre issue. Your Linkworld is similar, does it do the same thing?

Comment

I have many Linkworlds, one of them makes whining sound. It's from 5vsb circuit and I think it's because I used Panasonic FM for critical 5vsb cap.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                        In my opinion a psu that has problem with YXF/FC and needs higher esr caps to function is not worth bothering.
                        Why? You can still get high quality capacitors that are not low ESR, surely. If it works and lasts a long time, what's the problem?
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Two third-party Xbox 360S power supply units:

XP-360

150uF 400V Taicon AQ primary unit.
                          2200uF 25V ChongX before and after skimpy +12V inductor with 470uF 25V JWCO after +12V MOSFET switch.
                          470uF 25V JWCO after +5V regulator.
                          All other electrolytics are JWCO brand.

MBFR20100 x2 rectifiers for +12V.
                          WFF10N60 primary switcher.
                          KPL410 primary rectifier.
                          EMI filter choke has been omitted bridged out.

XP-360L

68uF 400V ChongX primary unit.
                          2200uF 25V FMZ (both bulging) before and after skimpy +12V inductor with 220uF 25V ZHC after +12V MOSFET switch.
                          220uF 25V ZHC after +5V regulator.

MBFR20100 rectifier for +12V.
                          18NM60N primary switcher.
                          KBP307 primary rectifier.
                          Attached Files
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                            Two third-party Xbox 360S power supply units:

XP-360

150uF 400V Taicon AQ primary unit.
                            2200uF 25V ChongX before and after skimpy +12V inductor with 470uF 25V JWCO after +12V MOSFET switch.
                            470uF 25V JWCO after +5V regulator.

MBFR20100 x2 rectifiers for +12V.
                            WFF10N60 primary switcher.
                            KPL410 primary rectifier.
                            EMI filter choke has been omitted bridged out.

XP-360L

68uF 400V ChongX primary unit.
                            2200uF 25V FMZ (both bulging) before and after skimpy +12V inductor with 220uF 25V ZHC after +12V MOSFET switch.
                            220uF 25V ZHC after +5V regulator.

MBFR20100 rectifier for +12V.
                            18NM60N primary switcher.
                            KBP307 primary rectifier.
                            The XP-360L actually looks less cheap. Looks like the caps are the only big issue.

(The transformer on the left-hand one looks real cheap!)
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-02-2014, 11:02 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

One big advantage of these cheap units is they are SIMPLE. They are just like the small wall chargers, just with bigger transformer and silicon, but build exactly same way. In 90 % cases only caps go bad, than you change them for japanese and you are done for next decade. Sometimes rectifier or transistor, but that's all.

Higher quality units may have slightly better efficiency, may have slightly lower ripple, may have somewhat more precise voltage control, but that is achieved by incredible field of dozens SMD components and complex feedback circuitry. Thus they are more expensive and when go bad, you are usually finished. Especially the modern flat units which have more glue than air inside, you cannot do anything inside even if you wanted.

Comment

I have many Linkworlds, one of them makes whining sound. It's from 5vsb circuit and I think it's because I used Panasonic FM for critical 5vsb cap.
                                And you think that yours is oscillating?
                                Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                The XP-360L actually looks less cheap. Looks like the caps are the only big issue.

(The transformer on the left-hand one looks real cheap!)
                                Obviously it's under-designed. It hasn't even been a year, and look how discolored the PCB is, and caps failed already.

Comment

Obviously it's under-designed. It hasn't even been a year, and look how discolored the PCB is
                                  I wouldn't be too worried about that, it just looks like they used really old and cheap SRBP board, which starts out dark brown to begin with.
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

The voltage is stable on the multimeter. I don't care to make it silent. I can't tell you if it is oscillating and how much though...

Comment

The voltage is stable on the multimeter. I don't care to make it silent. I can't tell you if it is oscillating and how much though...
                                      Some of us, like me, can hear these across the room when they are oscillating. Not very loud, but some of us have sensitive ears xD
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Obviously it's under-designed. It hasn't even been a year, and look how discolored the PCB is, and caps failed already.
                                        I was talking about the wires on the transformer for the one on the left.

(transformer wires sticking out)
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Correction: XP-360L should be XB-360L.
                                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X