MSI PM8M-V 7104 won' post after cpu upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI PM8M-V 7104 won' post after cpu upgrade

well I replaced the 3 bugling caps and it didn't work, so all I can do is ask if someone can fix it for me that has the tools and expertise. thanks

Comment

What did you replace them with? Does the old processor still work in this board?
      If not, with a processor and heatsink installed and the board powered on, flip the board over and measure the voltage across each capacitor, all the same reading?

Comment

You need to replace ALL of the KZG, not just the bloated ones.

That's why I tole you:
        ""Chemicon KZG are known high failure rate parts and they often fail without any bloating at all.""
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

replaced all KZG with rubycon and yes the old processor does work. rest of the board has about 15 1000uf 6.3v OST that look good.

Comment

99% of my failed OST look good too

Comment

ok all the ones along the cpu,part of what I replaced are reading the same with the cpu that won't post,they read 0 on the every bottom red line that says dB.which cpu the one that works and will boot up into windows and they read +8 on the same line.check the OST's some are just above +12 and some are just below on the same red line dB.this is what I used set on 9v
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey I got these 3 here I didn't mention,1500uf 16v HM(M) Ho6o1, they peg the needle on that meter pictured above.
                Attached Files

Comment

I have no idea what you are doing with that meter.
                  You really need an ESR meter to get out of 'replace n see' mode.
                  Although 'replace n see' is fine if you don't do it often AND you replace ALL questionable caps.
                  OST are always questionable.

The HM's are year 2006 week 1. - Not part of the defective run.
                  They should be fine unless heat killed them but those usually bloat when that happens.

Caps aren't the problem behind every dead board but it's a good guess on an MSI board that old.

[I'm not too clear on this because I personally haven't run into it.]
                  There were some older MSI boards that needed a PSU with -5v much after all the other brands quit using -5v on mobos.
                  Look at your old PSU and see if it had -5v.
                  Then look at the new one and check the same thing.
                  If the old one had it and the new doesn't that might be part of the problem getting a boot out of it.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X