Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I-Inc iF281D flicker, but only at high resolution

Hello everyone. I would love to get some thoughts on the following issue:

I have an approximately 2-year-old I-Inc iF281D monitor. Its native resolution is 1920x1200. Several months ago, it developed an issue where the display would go black for about 2 seconds, then resume again as if normal. A faint "tap" or "tap-tap" sound could be heard in the background as it did that. It started doing that about once every two weeks. However, the frequency gradually increased, and now it has gotten to the point when the flickering occurs nearly constantly (off for two seconds, on for a fraction of a second, off for two seconds, on for 10 seconds). The length of time between the flickers seems random, but the flickering tends to occur in stretches (flickers for 20 minutes, then stops for 10 minutes, then flickers for another 40 minutes, etc.) You can still hear the tapping sounds with each flicker, but they seem to have gotten louder, at least on certain individual flickers. In any event, the flickering is now so bad that the monitor is not usable. During the flicker, the power light stays on.

A few observations that I have made:

1) I have replaced the video card with a different brand and chipset, but the problem has not gone away, so the problem is presumably with the monitor. I have also replaced the HDMI cable connecting the video card to the monitor.

2) It may be just me, but it appears that flickering is more likely to occur, and is more severe, when I use Google Chrome. I am not sure why this could possibly be the case, but it is an observation. However, the flickering is not exclusive to the time I use Chrome, and occurs with other applications as well.

3) The flickering nearly disappeared when I switched the monitor from its native resolution (1920x1200) to a lower resolution (1680x1050). Maybe one or two flickers occur shortly after I switch from high resolution to low, but then the flickering disappears completely. When I switch again to 1920x1200, the flickering returns, so I always have to switch back to 1680x1050. (The picture looks ugly, but that is a different story.) This is how I am using the monitor now.

I would like to be able to use the monitor at its native resolution (1920x1200) without the flicker, but I am at a loss. Thoughts?

System: Dell Optiplex 790 (my office system)
    4GB RAM
    Video card: Sparkle GeForce GT520 (1GB DDR3) (current card), ASUS EAH5420 (512 MB) (previous card), both PCIe, in both cases the monitor is on the HDMI connection, in both cases the most current drivers. There is also a second monitor, a ViewSonic VA926g, on the VGA connection. (I tried disconnecting it, which has exactly zero effect.) The second monitor is unaffected by the flickering.

Re: I-Inc iF281D flicker, but only at high resolution

Take it apart and post clear focused top down view pictures with the following composition.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

Follow the instructions in my sig file below EXACTLY.

PS. This monitor and the Hann-g 28 inch probably share the same power board. Both have been discussed extensively here.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Did anything ever come of this.... I have literally 100% the exact same issue. I have also tried the same thing with no resolve, and am forced to use 1680x1050. Hoping someone can help....

Let me quickly mention, if the pictures of the power board are needed, I certainly can get this done - but I wont be able to until early next week due to timing/trips over this weekend.
      Last edited by flatspotting; 07-04-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flatspotting View Post
        Let me quickly mention, if the pictures of the power board are needed, I certainly can get this done - but I wont be able to until early next week due to timing/trips over this weekend.
        Clear focused pictures are ALWAYS REQUIRED. We are doing long distance troubleshooting and they help us help you. Follow my instructions in post #2 exactly.

See this megathread ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11329
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Clear focused pictures are ALWAYS REQUIRED. We are doing long distance troubleshooting and they help us help you. Follow my instructions in post #2 exactly.

See this megathread ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11329

Alright, I'll rip this thing open on Monday when I get back from Seattle and get those pics for you - I read a bit on one of the Hanns-G threads about simply re-seating ribbon cables after a cleaning... what are the chances of that actually working vs it being caps?

Comment

Originally posted by flatspotting View Post
            Alright, I'll rip this thing open on Monday when I get back from Seattle and get those pics for you - I read a bit on one of the Hanns-G threads about simply re-seating ribbon cables after a cleaning... what are the chances of that actually working vs it being caps?
            Cleaning and reseating the ribbon cables is a good first step as it costs you nothing except the time and effort to do it. Also, your photos will tell us if your monitor is using the same power supply and logic board as it's Hanns-G counterpart. If yes, then there is a known problem with the caps on the logic board.

Comment

Working...
            X