Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VG2230WM-3 - No Power

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fix a Viewsonic VG2230WM-3 with no power. I replaced 6 bulged teapo 470uf 25v with brand new Rubycon capacitors and nothing change. The only new thing that has emerged is a ticking, like a clock, clear and regular.

I checked few things with my multimeter.

I have 165V at the big cap
    To the right on the power board, to the logic board i made 5 measurements and here are the results:

BL-ADJ : 0.5 V not stable
    GND : 0
    GND : 0
    + 5 : 1.2 v to 1.5 v not stable
    + 13.(something unreadable) : 0.1 v to 0.3 v not stable

Below is the picture of both side of the power board.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

Re: Viewsonic VG2230WM-3 - No Power

Originally posted by benV View Post
    The only new thing that has emerged is a ticking, like a clock, clear and regular.
    Ticking suggests the SMPS is trying to start, but can't maybe due to

1) bad startup cap (probably 47uF 50V C102). Measure the DC voltage across this capacitor. It should be stable and enough to power the SMPS IC VCC pin. Measure ESR. If no ESR meter, replace with something like Panasonic FC series.

2) bad SMPS IC (maybe the IC above C102 mounted on the heatsink?). Find the datasheet and see what the startup voltage should be for VCC. See if VCC is shorted to GND.

3) shorted diode (D101, D102). Test diodes to see if they are shorted.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There is another diode in the bottom right hand corner by the word "press".
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) in fact it's a 22uf 50v and i've got 9v to 14v not stable at all across this one (ltec brand) !

2) The chip is a STR W6252. It is not shorted to GND

3) D101 seems to be shorted. D102 is ok

I'will replace the cap and the diode and see what's next.. Thanks retiredcaps.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          There is another diode in the bottom right hand corner by the word "press".
          D201 ? Do i have to desoldered it to check it ?

Comment

Originally posted by benV View Post
            D201 ? Do i have to desoldered it to check it ?
            No, you can test everything "in circuit" first. If the diode test readings are suspicious, then desolder and verify "out of circuit". Use the diode test function for these tests.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Datasheet is at

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...242a347ec7.pdf

See page 5. VCC(ON) is typically 15.5V. Minimum is 13.9 and maximum is 17.1V DC.

So it looks like the SMPS IC is starting, but the shorted diode is causing the fluctuation.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have the same board too...the problem that I encountered was when I started to turn it on with the lcd panel the power just went down. After that I removed the panel leaving the power board only and turned it on again it works flawlessly. What might be the cause of power failure when I attached the lcd panel and turn it on.

Comment

Originally posted by jaidiaz View Post
                  After that I removed the panel leaving the power board only and turned it on again it works flawlessly.

What do you mean? how did you now it worked flawlessly without the panel
                  being connected.
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                  X