Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite black screen, but backlight working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite black screen, but backlight working

Just got a brand new Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite. First off, It doesn't have pretty much any control, no OSD or anything. Just Power button, brightness up and down buttons and on front, a led displaying orange on stand-by and blue when there is signal. The blue led "flicker" when signal is bad (ie. When using only DVI-D Single Link instead of Dual Link).

Hooked up to my machine and when Windows 7 started the monitor light turned from orange to blue and worked just fine. Then I just browsed my screen settings for a while and BAM! The screen just went black and blue light disappeared, as in no light at all, not even orange.

I immediately tried to fix it by using my old monitor and I removed my video card drivers and re-installed. No help from that. I have a ATI Radeon 5870 video card, so I borrowed a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS card from my brother. No dice. I tried to fiddle with the power cord, brick and DVI-D cable that came with the monitor. Didn't help either.

Right now, when I got no DVI-cable attached to the computer, the monitor shows orange light (stand-by?). When I plug the cable, orange light disappears and no blue light emerge as it did initially. Backlight turns on ok by the way and I can "crank it" up and down by pressing the buttons on the back of the monitor. I can see the monitor in screen settings page from Windows 7 and AMD CCC (and Nvidia control panel when I used Nvidia card) so EDID info is coming to my computer.

I visited at work and picked up another DVI-D dual-link cable from our stock for testing. The problem still stands. No picture, not even a hint of it.

My best bet is that maybe some internal cable is loose (LVDS?) but does anyone have any hints what I should look if it comes to opening the monitor?

Re: Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite black screen, but backlight working

IF it is brand new, and you already try it with another PC, then take it back and exchange for another new one, it should be under warranty.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

With new electronics it's my opinion it is the manufacturer's responsibility to fix them, not the user's. This should convince them to make them well in the first place...
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I bought the item from Ebay.com from a South Korean seller. I know I can always return it (and I am currently messaging with the seller about the issue) problem is that I live in Finland and by Ebay policy, it's my responsibility to pay for return shipment. And that is at least +150 € = 200 $. The monitor cost about 300 € including VAT.

I was being cheap and bought an 27" 2560x1440 resolution monitor for over half for what those things costs in my country and knew that warranty/return might not be an option. Unluckily I got a defected unit.

Anyway, I'm trying to salvage what I can and have been trying to find a similar case or something to make an informed guess on what is the problem.

This is the monitor I have.

Comment

I finally found what caused the problem I was having. Logic board has one "chip" burned. I uploaded some pics for anyone curious. Now if I could get my hands on a spare logic board...

Dropbox gallery

Sixth pic is where the burned chip shows clearest.

Comment

Can you make anything out of the chip? It may be small, but looks like it's possible to solder it by hand...

Comment

Some kind of LVDS driver. Looks like 0.5mm pin pitch. Not a good project to attempt for a beginner, but it is doable. Problem is, how to source the IC? It may only be available in 10k+ reels!
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hey Tom, I'm having the same issue with the same monitor

I'm trying to get inside to look and see if maybe something is loose or if it's the same problem, do you have any tips for opening the chassis without breaking or scratching anything?

Comment

The weird thing is in your case it sounds like yours just outright died. Mine works occasionally; I just tried to get it open but couldn't quite figure it out and am waiting for a friend with a bit more experience to come over before I attempt it. In the meantime, someone suggested I try hooking it in to a different video card as the evga GTX 670 has issues occasionally, which sounds odd, but I went ahead and am trying it now on a computer with my old GTX 260. So far it seems to be working OK, but I'll need to leave it on for a while to see.

And maybe mine just has a loose connector inside; in the process of trying to remove it and propping it up on a shelf sans stand to test it on the other computer maybe something wiggled?

Comment

Update for me, it ran for about an hour and a half before going blank. So it's not the video card, it seems. That mine keeps working and then stops gives me some hope it's just something loose, otherwise I will be learning how to say "please send a replacement logic board" in Korean....

Comment

Update on mine: we opened it up and reseated the connectors inside and left it open running for a few hours and it was fine. It seemed rather hot, my friend had an infrared temperature sensor and parts of the logic board were in the high 50s centigrade, but it ran fine for 4 hours straight. I reassembled it and left it off overnight to be sure but this morning I have been playing D3 on it for hours with no trouble

Hopefully it was just ill-seated connectors in my case!

Comment

i found this thread while looking for tips on how to replace the pcb of my monitor. i have this exact one and would like help getting the back off - I got a new pcb from the ebay seller in hong kong. I just have no idea how to get the plastic off to get at it

any help would be apprecaited

Comment

Working...
                        X