Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACER AL1916 with flashing power LED indicator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACER AL1916 with flashing power LED indicator.

I have an ACER al1916 LCD monitor. My circuit board is different than the one in the following post.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=al1916

The monitor works fine as long as I don't change resolution. Then the LED power on indicator just flashes. I have opened it up and the power supply board (see image) seems to have a few caps that have swollen. I circled them on the image.

Are there other things that I should check before replacing the caps or could they be the root cause of the problem?

Rob
    Attached Files

Re: ACER AL1916 with flashing power LED indicator.

Originally posted by robn View Post
    I have an ACER al1916 LCD monitor. My circuit board is different than the one in the following post.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=al1916

The monitor works fine as long as I don't change resolution. Then the LED power on indicator just flashes. I have opened it up and the power supply board (see image) seems to have a few caps that have swollen. I circled them on the image.

Are there other things that I should check before replacing the caps or could they be the root cause of the problem?

Rob
    Acer and Viewsonic are notorious for using different power supplies on the same model monitor. The bulged caps should be replaced as they COULD BE the source of your problem. They will definitely cause problems in the future if not replaced now. Replace ALL 7 of the caps except for the large one on it's side, as these rarely fail. If you're in the USA, I suggest using Panasonic FM or FC caps from digikey.com. Total cost should be under $10, including shipping. Use the directions below for ordering:

Here's the best way to order from digikey:

1) Go to digikey.com

2) In the "parts search" window type: panasonic fm and select "GO" button

3) Under the Capacitor heading select "Aluminum"

4) The first two columns you see are capacitance and voltage. Highlight the value and voltage with your mouse and select the "Apply Filters" button

5) You'll see several selections available. Here's what to look for:

a) Look at the quantity available and minimum purchase. If "0" are available, then there's none to purchase. Some selections require a minumum purchase of a 1000 units, which you also don't want. I think you get the picture.

b) height and diameter. Measure the original caps and compare to what's listed.

6) If your value is out of stock, go back to the beginning and type in "panasonic fc" and go through the same process

7) During the checkout process select USPS First Class shipping, since this will give the best ship rate.
    Last edited by jetadm123; 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Anybody have the sizes of each of the caps on this power supply board..?Power Supply for an Acer AL1916

c242
      c261
      c263
      c241
      c244
      c24

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by colormebad View Post
        Anybody have the sizes of each of the caps on this power supply board..?
        Just measure the caps (height and diameter) and follow PlainBill's instructions for picking Panasonic FM (1st choice) or FC (2nd choice).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You could use a poor man's caliper, use a metric wrench to measure diameter 10mm and 8 mm are common sizes. The heights are usually between10mm and 20 mm.Dont forget the realy small one, someware around 4mm
          Al.
          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I found the layout right here..Onlything i noticed they have 1 cap numbered wrong...I guess they are all in the right location though....

Comment

The above also used in Hanns G.... HX191 Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                You could use a poor man's caliper, use a metric wrench to measure diameter 10mm and 8 mm are common sizes.
                Or use a free printable metric ruler.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Based on the second photo that colormebad supplied, it looks like he was asking about the cap values (capacitance and volts) and not so much about their physical size. Of course, the physical size is also good to know.

Comment

This board is also used in the Hanns-G HX192D monitor.

Comment

Hi, can anyone tell me what the code is for the 6pin IC chip which is screwed on the metal heatsink (below the capacitor c123, 22uf, 25v) thankyou
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you're talking about U101, then it's a Fairchild FSDM0565R

Comment

Yes thats the one. Thankyou so much

Gave this monitor to my sister, she brought it back saying it was working fine but then it blew from back, so i opened it up and discovered this IC was burnt out (attached image). My local electronics store didnt have red capped fuse but told me its 2amp so i modified board. Could the IC burn due to wear and tear? Ive had loss of current in house twice in 3 years when the monitor has been on. Also now that the IC is off, the fuse doesnt blow. The capacitors are fine.

Thanks again for all help
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by yulaw; 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

ive managed to replace the IC, put everything back together but it doesnt switch on
                            ive checked the 2 t5a 250v slow blow fuses, which seem fine. any ideas?? Thanks

Comment

I suppose the first standard test would be to connect it all up switch it on and test for voltage at the MAIN Cap.
                              Set your meter on 600VDC and carefully put black probe on negative leg and
                              red probe on positive leg. Use crocodile clips if you have them Place the clips before you switch on )and do not touch the board.

The solder joints on your fuse adaption look big - check they are not shorting to the frame - is the fuse in the mains lead still ok?
                              Last edited by selldoor; 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM.
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Ive misplaced my multimeter, looked everywhere but cant find it, so ive ordered a new one. What reading should the main capacitor give me?

Before I changed the IC, the modified fuse was shorting but now it doesnt. Fuse on power lead is ok too.

Comment

I am in Harrogate,if you really get stuck,and have a good few spares for these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by yulaw View Post
                                    Ive misplaced my multimeter, looked everywhere but cant find it, so ive ordered a new one. What reading should the main capacitor give me?
                                    Should be around 322vdc but could be up to 400vdc.

Please be careful measuring and also be careful with the fuse joints depend on how it might touch the frame the whole thing could become live 230vac.
                                    Last edited by selldoor; 11-16-2012, 03:41 AM.
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi, I taken my PSU to the local electronics store for testing, and the technician tested all common replaceable components to be ok. He then told me im better off buying a working board from ebay as it would be cheaper than buying parts for trial error. Thanks for all your help, appreciated

Comment

There is very little that goes wrong with these,and have yet to come across one that is not repairable,.and usually at less cost than a replacement.If you want a replacement board,then PM me .

Comment

Working...
                                        X