Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Originally posted by Nama
    Would anyone happen to have a picture of this board? The monitor i have sitting here is missing it. I will have to sort through about 40 boards to find the correct one. Would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Jacob
    You're looking for something like this.

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

perfect found it!. Thank you
      ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

So, I was wondering. Since I know my inverter board is bad is there anywhere that I can buy a replacement... without paying $79.99...?

Comment

Originally posted by Drexal
          So, I was wondering. Since I know my inverter board is bad is there anywhere that I can buy a replacement... without paying $79.99...?
          Post a picture of your inverter and maybe I or someone else can suggest a generic replacement - in the $20~25 range shipping included.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hey thanks! I have the exact same model as severach. My presumption is that I just have bad transformers if you have those, but I guess a replacement inverter board is just as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drexal
              Hey thanks! I have the exact same model as severach. My presumption is that I just have bad transformers if you have those, but I guess a replacement inverter board is just as well.
              His board has the inverter in a separate card/board. I've done adaptations before,in a Samsung 172n. I removed all the components on and under the board in the inverter section, and just wired the GND, 12v,5v & BLON signals from the PSU to the new generic inverter, but I don't know if this can be your case. Why do you think the Ts are bad in your board?
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Actually, I'm not really sure. I just made an assumption since I had a very similar problem in a Dell. In this case the situation is the same as what others have said the backlight comes on then goes off in about 2 seconds. With the Dell the transformers output changed for whatever reason so I upped the transistors tolerance levels and put a small fan on it. That monitor has been working for about a year and a half now. So I thought maybe I had a similar problem here.

Comment

I have been having the two second turn off problem with a bunch of these monitors I have at work. I have opened up three and have found two different PSUs. It appears to be the same problem with each of the units though. I haven't yet tried replacing the caps, but it seems like this problem isn't easily fixed by just replacing the caps. I checked the voltages going to the video board and they were 12 and 5 as they should be. I was wondering what you all would suggest I do first?

Thanks

Comment

It did not post my pictures.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jolarson
                      I have been having the two second turn off problem with a bunch of these monitors I have at work. I have opened up three and have found two different PSUs. It appears to be the same problem with each of the units though. I haven't yet tried replacing the caps, but it seems like this problem isn't easily fixed by just replacing the caps. I checked the voltages going to the video board and they were 12 and 5 as they should be. I was wondering what you all would suggest I do first?

Thanks
                      Sounds like Inverter or CCFLs, can we take it that green LED stays on
                      If so do as member Severach done in (post 16 of this thread)
                      The earlier part of his post that is
                      Looking for Flicker, dullness, reddish tint, or NO 2 seconds to black

Comment

There is a visible bad cap on the first board, give info on caps uf + voltage + series and someone will advise on replacements

Comment

The big caps are Samxon GF (M) 1000uF 16V and 680uF 25V and the smaller is the same brand but 470uF 25V. all are 105 C. Do you think the little ones need replacing as well, they are all Samxon as well?

I have a duplicate of the first board, with no buldging caps and the same problem.

As for the CCFLs one one of my boards there is a difference when testing with only one set of lamps plugged in (it was a little dim), but the other works fine. I have also tested it with multiple CCFLs and it does the same thing for all of them. There is no red/pink tint. When testing by themselves they come on for around 1 second.

Comment

That sounds like your CCFLs are fine
                            As for your cap Question I think that would be yes but that is better answered by the cap gurus, they no doubt will advise on replacements
                            In the meantime scrutinise all solder joints on inverters particulary the Inverter transformers

Comment

samxon is good, samxon gf is fake

replace them with rubycon, nichicon (not hn or hm), panasonic, nippon chemicon, united chemicon, sanyo, or non-fake samxon

caps must be same value (uf) and same or greater voltage. low esr please
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                That sounds like your CCFLs are fine
                                As for your cap Question I think that would be yes but that is better answered by the cap gurus, they no doubt will advise on replacements
                                In the meantime scrutinise all solder joints on inverters particulary the Inverter transformers
                                Definitely replace them all. In general you can recap a power supply / inverter board for well under $10.00 by buying replacement caps (I prefer Panasonic FC series) from Digikey and using their first class mail shipping option. Especially if the original caps were a bad brand (or worse yet, fakes), it's cheap insurance.

One other point - even the poorest Chinese manufacturer has figured out how to make caps that don't bulge when they fail. The only reliable way to determine if a cap is good is by using an ESR meter.

The 'two second to black' problem can be caused by one or more bad CCFLs or by a bad inverter. If you have a good monitor, using it to check inverters is a quick way to identify the problem. As an alternative, the case mod light kits can also be used - use the CCFLs from the kit to test the monitor's inverter, use the inverter from the kit to test the monitors CCFLs.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The big caps are Samxon GF (M) 1000uF 16V and 680uF 25V and the smaller is the same brand but 470uF 25V. all are 105 C. Do you think the little ones need replacing as well, they are all Samxon as well?

I have a duplicate of the first board, with no buldging caps and the same problem.

As for the CCFLs one one of my boards there is a difference when testing with only one set of lamps plugged in (it was a little dim), but the other works fine. I have also tested it with multiple CCFLs and it does the same thing for all of them. There is no red/pink tint. When testing by themselves they come on for around 1 second.
                                  I agree with PlainBill. Caps can go south without visual indication. If they are a known problematic brand/series, or bulged, get them swapped by good ones as a start. Even if they are not the only cause of the problem, you can't really know if you are not sure that the caps are OK.
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I checked all the Panels with a know good monitor and they all worked with them. So that rules out that possibility. As for caps, I was wondering if it is ok to have a higher voltage, on the PSU there are two 1000 uF 16V and one 1000 uF 25V. Would it be ok to use the same cap for both, so I can order in larger quantities. Right now I have six of these monitors that I am fixing, and the college I work at has a lot more out on the field.

Thanks,

Comment

I checked all the Panels with a know good monitor and they all worked with them. So that rules out that possibility. As for caps, I was wondering if it is ok to have a higher voltage, on the PSU there are two 1000 uF 16V and one 1000 uF 25V. Would it be ok to use the same cap for both, so I can order in larger quantities. Right now I have six of these monitors that I am fixing, and the college I work at has a lot more out on the field.

Thanks,
                                      You can safely go to a higher voltage cap PROVIDED the larger size is not an issue.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                        You can safely go to a higher voltage cap PROVIDED the larger size is not an issue.

PlainBill
                                        And the specs (ripple, ESR) are the same.
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                                          And the specs (ripple, ESR) are the same.
                                          dont forget to use a good brand as well. post the brand you are thinking of
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X