Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

This one has been kicking my butt for a week or so and it's time to turn to the people with more experience. Rather than the usual case where I am the nominal owner of the monitor, this is one where the owner wants some help troubleshooting it.

When turned on it gives a display for about two seconds, then a black screen. If not connected to a computer about 10 seconds later the power led goes from green to orange. Turning off, then on will give the same thing. Also no difference if it's just been plugged in, or if it's been on for a few hours.

If no signal source is present it gives the 'No Signal' message, if hooked up to a working computer it will properly display the computer output when the monitor power is cycled. It's obvious - the inverter is shutting down.

A visual examination shows no burns, no deformed caps, nothing obviously wrong. The ONLY thing I never saw before (remember, I have very little experience with LCD monitors) is the inverter. It has two transformers (one at each end) and a single connector at each end. HOWEVER three pins of each connector are in use and there are two sets (one from each connector) of three wires (2 pink, one white) running to the backlights. Is this simply an alternative to the 4 connectors / 4 sets of wires I am familiar with?

While they look fine, the power supply uses a pair of Ltec LZG 1000uf 16V caps. The don't appear on either the good cap or the bad cap list. The inverter has a single 150uf 35V cap, no discernable manufacturer (which does make me slightly suspicious).

Any suggestions before telling the guy to replace the caps, even though they don't look bad?

Thanks,

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Re: Gateway FPD1730 - black display, green power led

Ltec is shit. Those caps may have gone bad without bulging, it happens all the time and is common with some brands (G-Luxon, OST). Do you have an ESR meter, or at least a DMM that tests capacitance?

Comment

The two pinks are the AC in for each of the lamps. The white is the combined return for the two CCFLs. It is common on Samsung units , as far as I know.
      As for the caps, change them. I have bad experiences with LTecs and Lelons that look good but are bad. Change also the two in the inverter section. If that does not sole your problem, you may have bad CCFLs in there...
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Ltec is indeed on the bad list in that it's well known they are junk.
        The list here is poorly maintained and hasn't been updated since 2006.

LTEC stands for Luminous Town Electric Company.
        If you know the story about the stolen electrolyte formula and the scientist that 'defected'.
        Well, LTEC is the company he 'defected' to.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          The list here is poorly maintained and hasn't been updated since 2006.
          Wouldn't it be time to update it?
          Ltecs, Jackons, Cheng,Chong, Chun (I'm not kidding. Those last three do exist ......)
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

You forgot Chang
            Chang Cheng Chong Chun

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

You forgot Chang
              Chang Cheng Chong Chun
              "Chin" ... se me olvido (Damn, I forgot ...)
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Sounds like roll call at the fish market.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm taking a 'replace 'em all' approach on any caps from questionable manufacturers. In this case I just had to convince another 'tech' that spending $5.00 to replace parts that aren't visually bad is a good risk. (Of course, he probably drops that much at Starbucks every day.)

I DID figure out what was going on with the multiple backlight wires when I saw a similar arrangement on an AOC monitor.

Thanks,

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                    I DID figure out what was going on with the multiple backlight wires when I saw a similar arrangement on an AOC monitor.
                    It was just a note for the people who happens to open their first unit and ran into a setup like that.

And $5 is a marginal cost for repairing the unit. In case you buy another one, you'll pay more than that just in tax, plus, as in my case, a "Recycle Fee" that is charged in California for items like this. It's good for the planet (less junk on the landfills), it's good for the wallet ($5~10 instead of $100~200), and it's good for the brain (learning something is always good).
                    Last edited by EGuevarae; 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM.
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                      It was just a note for the people who happens to open their first unit and ran into a setup like that.

And $5 is a marginal cost for repairing the unit. In case you buy another one, you'll pay more than that just in tax, plus, as in my case, a "Recycle Fee" that is charged in California for items like this. It's good for the planet (less junk on the landfills), it's good for the wallet ($5~10 instead of $100~200), and it's good for the brain (learning something is always good).
                      I can go down to Frys Electronics and pick up a 19" widescreen monitor for under $100. I figure that caps the repair cost of a monitor at about $40. Which means it isn't economical to replace the LCD panel or buy a new inverter board. But replacing bad caps? No brainer.

I have several motivations. Replacing my 20" CRT with a 21" LCD (VP211b) at a total cost of under $10 (including gas to pick it up) is nice. To be able to take a dead monitor and (with help - thanks, guys) fix it for a few dollars in parts is also a thrill. Now if I could figure out a source of dead monitors...

PlainBill

Comment

Sounds like roll call at the fish market.
                        Yeah, a family business.
                        "Cheng, have Chan take you to Chin on Chong's car to pick up Chung on the train station. Don't forget to bring food for Teapo and CapXon, or else they will eat the neighbor's dog food again ..."
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I can go down to Frys Electronics and pick up a 19" widescreen monitor for under $100.
                          Lucky you. The nearest Fry's I know is like 150 miles away.
                          I just helped a poor guy in Alaska to repair the 700P he uses for daily work, because the shipping of a unit to his place was obscene. He repaired it with $12 worth of caps including shipping (he bought more caps than needed because he's going to take a chance at another dead LCD he has on the office). He tried to buy a repaired LCD from me on eBay and I ended up telling him how to fix his own by himself. I referred him to this forum also, and the kind of notes like the one of the two pinks and one white was intended to people like him. A lot of people just browse by the forum collecting information and don't even register/join. I feel that the note would come in handy to those people.

And as you said, replacing bad caps risking only $5 is a good thing. A no brainer, as you said.
                          And I still think you have bad CCFLs on the unit (if recaped and not cured...).
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                            And as you said, replacing bad caps risking only $5 is a good thing. A no brainer, as you said.
                            And I still think you have bad CCFLs on the unit (if recaped and not cured...).
                            Well, the replacement caps are on order, so we'll know for sure later this week. From my point of view, replacing 4 CCFLs is a marginal proposition. But I can let the owner decide!

PlainBill

Comment

Well, the replacement caps are on order, so we'll know for sure later this week. From my point of view, replacing 4 CCFLs is a marginal proposition. But I can let the owner decide!

PlainBill
                              Yes. Maybe it is not worth, wih Frys that close and the price that good, he should better move up to 19" wide, and give you the 1730 as a thank you. It may come in handy in the future (screen, boards, even shell).
                              Good luck with the recap. I hope that the CCFLs are OK.
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I have a Gateway FPD1730 with the two second turn off but it sounds like I have a different power supply inverter board. I tested the lamps and HV circuits by disconnecting one side at a time. Because one transformer runs two lamps both lamps on a side must be connected. One side which turned out to be the good side flashed the screen 2 seconds with no flicker. The other side which turned out to be the bad side flashed the screen 2 seconds but not very bright and it flickered as it came on and went out.

I first tested the 4 CapXon 47uf 25v caps C8, C9, C10, and C11 and found that while not outrageously high, they were well on the way to failing with 1.47, 6.7, 3.0, and 4.1 ohms. Replacing these may have helped but the back light still went off after 2 seconds.

Then I swap the two transformers from side to side. The flicker changed sides. A closer look at the suspect transformer shows a burn spot between two fuzzy HV rows. Unfortunately it is a Fortron Sparkle Power custom transformer SPI 8TC00141. Is it possible to get these? Changing 12v to 2,000v isn't that hard and most of the connectors on this transformer are fake. Can they be crossed or substituted?
                                Attached Files
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach
                                  I have a Gateway FPD1730 with the two second turn off but it sounds like I have a different power supply inverter board. I tested the lamps and HV circuits by disconnecting one side at a time. Because one transformer runs two lamps both lamps on a side must be connected. One side which turned out to be the good side flashed the screen 2 seconds with no flicker. The other side which turned out to be the bad side flashed the screen 2 seconds but not very bright and it flickered as it came on and went out.

I first tested the 4 CapXon 47uf 25v caps C8, C9, C10, and C11 and found that while not outrageously high, they were well on the way to failing with 1.47, 6.7, 3.0, and 4.1 ohms. Replacing these may have helped but the back light still went off after 2 seconds.

Then I swap the two transformers from side to side. The flicker changed sides. A closer look at the suspect transformer shows a burn spot between two fuzzy HV rows. Unfortunately it is a Fortron Sparkle Power custom transformer SPI 8TC00141. Is it possible to get these? Changing 12v to 2,000v isn't that hard and most of the connectors on this transformer are fake. Can they be crossed or substituted?
                                  Hello severach
                                  I was just looking at a pair of B/light inverters that I have on my worktop after reading your post and could not help noticing that both of these have a manufactured notch in the plastic segment divider in the same spot as yours and the same divider as yours (the other dividers dont have this)
                                  Concluding that it may pay you to resolder all of the insulated wire connections to there pins and give it another try.

A Qestion for you if I may, by your post am I to understand that if a inverter transformer supplys current for 2 tubes then both tubes must be connected even for that brief second of testing??? and that you cannot test a single tube for a brief second or so, without doing damage somewhere
                                  Thanks in advance
                                  bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                    Hello severach
                                    I was just looking at a pair of B/light inverters that I have on my worktop
                                    bob
                                    Sorry should have read, (a pair of inverter/transformers)
                                    bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                      I was just looking at a pair of B/light inverters that I have on my worktop after reading your post and could not help noticing that both of these have a manufactured notch in the plastic segment divider in the same spot as yours and the same divider as yours (the other dividers dont have this)
                                      Concluding that it may pay you to resolder all of the insulated wire connections to there pins and give it another try.
                                      If you're talking about the inverter transformer then both have been resoldered when I switched sides. The flaw is clear and other posts indicate that the BIT3105P LCD inverter controller will not tolerate flaws anywhere. The lamps on the bad transformer do run but not well.

am I to understand that if a inverter transformer supplys current for 2 tubes then both tubes must be connected even for that brief second of testing??? and that you cannot test a single tube for a brief second or so, without doing damage somewhere
                                      I haven't yet found unhooking lamps to do any damage, only that you may interfere with the results unexpectedly. On some inverters just one lamp on a dual transformer will light but poorly. On others like this one a single lamp will not light at all.
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

Would anyone happen to have a picture of this board? The monitor i have sitting here is missing it. I will have to sort through about 40 boards to find the correct one. Would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Jacob
                                        ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

Working...
                                        X