Dell 1707FPc no power indication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 1707FPc no power indication

This is for information; I realize this has been mentioned before but I thought it might be worth while bringing it up again.
    I have a Dell 1707FPc monitor that gave no indication of life {no power led no back lamp or image even when looking with a flash light] opening the monitor up I quickly was able to determine that I had 5v and
    13v showing up at the video board. Voltages also looked at the voltage regulators.
    The next thing I decided to check were voltages at the ribbon cable going to the front control buttons. When I did this I accidently raked my testing probe across the ribbon cable and all of a sudden the monitor came to life. There is an obvious problem with the pled button you cannot feel the clicking of the button when it is pushed, but by tricking the video board to thinking it was pushed [by causing a voltage change] The monitor will work and continue to work even after unplugging the power cord and reconnecting the power cord. It continues to work even with the button ribbon cable disconnected.
    I HAVE A FEALING I MAY HAVE BEEN EXTREAMLY LUCKY NOT TO HAVE DAMMAGED SOMETHING BY RAKING MY PROBE DOWN THE RIBBON CABLE.
    Just recently, A very senior member responded to a thread about powering on a monitor without a front control buttons. It was suggested to.
    “Use a 1KΩ resistor from ground (black wire) to each of the colored wires and see if you can trigger it. If that doesn't work, try a 470Ω. Keep dividing the value by 2 until you find a value that works. Using the resistor method prevents you from dead-shorting a power supply lead, as one of those wires feeds the power-on LED.”
    Thank you.
    Also from my reading in this forum it has been stated that just because the power LED does not work that does not mean that the monitor will not work, You may initially have to do something to power it on[by using the resistor, To change the state of the voltage of the PLED].
    So at this time the only way for me to completely power the monitor off is to unplug power from the wall outlet, but the monitor will power back on to its last state without doing anything but plugging the power cord back it. For my personal use I don't care about having a non working power button.
    Thank you every body for all the good information given in this forum.
    Every monitor I work on I learn or get to practice something new.
    Al.
    Attached Files
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Re: Dell 1707FPc no power indication

I had a Dell 1907FPc with a similar problem. After looking at the button I realized there had been a small protrusion on the side of the power button that actually pushed the switch. That protrusion had broken off. By cutting a notch in the appropriate point on the button I was able to glue on a short piece of plastic rod and fix the problem.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

There are a number of Dell Monitors, that suffer from the 'broken point'on the ON/OFF Button,and have used similar methods as Plain Bill, to overcome the problem.I remember someone on a Forum commenting that while some of the parts are quite expensive...5 cents for a plastic button is not the best manufacturing policy that was ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
        There are a number of Dell Monitors, that suffer from the 'broken point'on the ON/OFF Button,and have used similar methods as Plain Bill, to overcome the problem.I remember someone on a Forum commenting that while some of the parts are quite expensive...5 cents for a plastic button is not the best manufacturing policy that was ever made.
        The person who made that statement was being overly generous. The design techniques for making durable plastic assemblies have been known for decades. If they had moved the LED 3mm the pressure point would have been directly on the edge of the button. A minor retooling of the bezel and the button could have ensured the extension was properly supported.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          I had a Dell 1907FPc with a similar problem. After looking at the button I realized there had been a small protrusion on the side of the power button that actually pushed the switch. That protrusion had broken off. By cutting a notch in the appropriate point on the button I was able to glue on a short piece of plastic rod and fix the problem.

PlainBill
          I know this is an old thread, but ran into this last week at work.
          Here's what Bill is referring to.
          In the second photo you can see the plastic piece is there, but broken off.
          in the third photo you can see how the buttons line up, the power button is quite offset.
          If I can find that piece I may glue it back rather than fabricating something....
          Attached Files
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I have had luck notching the button,And super gluing piece of a wooden tooth pic on one side of the button so it will make contact with the PCB button.I tried several different things but the wood toothpick was the easiest to shape to get the proper clearance,It is really a tight fit if the wood is to thick it always holds the button down
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
            X