Cornerstone 17" LCD monitor (white)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornerstone 17" LCD monitor (white)

Ran into a rather unique problem on this monitor.
    Powers on displays garbled lines all over screen, horizontal lines.
    Suspected may have been bad caps and so above the center processing IC
    I spot 4 caps, at least 1 looked suspect. Replaced all four and still same problem. (Replaced with slightly higher voltage rating as well).

So I see the control chip is SMC8384-140 surface mount about 80 pin.
    Anyhow, I am then trying hair dryer method to see results.
    While feeding video, and heating this chip, first image grew with white lines, then lines started to disappear, and then woila perfect picture.

But upon cooling down it regains it's lines again until unusable.
    I havent reflowed the cip just yet. Note that this unit had been in a garage and has been subjected to moisture, so I am hoping it is mold/mildew under the chip causing the problems.

Unusual is that usually when you heat up a component it tends to want to fail more, or even just die. In this case it cures the problem instead.
    May also try spray out with component solvent to see.
    Its a nothing special monitor although it does have dual VGA inputs and a USB hub in there for whatever use.
    If reflow and cleaning don't work, looks likje it may need this chip, which I havent been able to source in quantity 1 from any distributors.

The worthiness of it is at best questionable since it is not widescreen.
    It does seem to have a decent picture when you get past the thermal problem. Maybe I should just attach some lamps or heating element to the top of the chip? No that would be a bad idea.

Maybe someone out there has one with a cracked screen or something I can get them to remove the mainboard. Has way too many screws of course.
Working...
X