Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 226bw dead. No power

Originally posted by da.chisel View Post
    -- meant that the connection does not go anywhere. The pin is cut and does not go into the board. So I figured it was useless to check it. But if you need this pin, let me know and I will check it.
    Take the reading on the fat tab then. The tab and that cut pin are the same.

And since I dont have any other parts laying around, I will have to go with digikey. My soldering iron is a 35w. A bit chunky tho.. I will see if I can get another one..
    Chip quik (also available at digikey) does an excellent job, I'm told, for removing stuff. See this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousI...40/FTQqjggeklo

but it's not cheap and it adds to the cost of repair. At some point, it will be cheaper to buy a replacement vs repair.

A 35W will might suffice if you have a chisel tip.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I doubt that my local radio-shack will have these parts.
      I'm thinking something like Active Electronics or MRO if you have one in your city?

http://www.active123.com/eng/storeSe...&var=d&ckey=CA

http://www.mroelectronics.com/mro/stores.php
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

-- meant that the connection does not go anywhere.
        We definitely need this measurement. The tab and pin 2 is the Vout. If it is 1.8 V DC, then this chip is good.

I initially said it was bad because I didn't understand what you meant by --.
        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I should mention that ebay.ca has a ton of voltage regulators for sale. They all come from the far east and you can get 10 of them for under $3 with free shipping. Obviously, it will take a few weeks to arrive with the holiday rush, but it is cheaper than digikey if only IC601 is bad.

Just search for 1117 3.3V and make sure it is the right SMD package size. See "Three terminal packages"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface...#Package_sizes
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi.
            Thank you for this info, I really have to say that I am terribly thankful for all you did for me, you went an extra 154 miles to help me out, out of pure kindness. You make me believe there is still hope in humanity

I have checked the various sites you have mentioned and the closest one would be the active123 in montreal. Do you think that KGE (www.kge.ca) would hold these?

I will check the last pin I omitted tonight and post the results here.

Again, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by da.chisel;198057Do you think that KGE ([url
              www.kge.ca[/url]) would hold these?
              They might. Their regulator section is under construction. Give them a call and make sure they have the correct packaging.

http://www.kge.ca/17-259-department-...egulators.html

Please note that this subsite is currently under construction. The information displayed is therefore incomplete and will be updated shortly. If you have any questions or would like to obtain more information regarding one of our products, please contact us by email at info@kge.ca

edit: And if they don't have it, ask them who else might carry it local.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi,
                I stumbled on this page because my 226BW is showing the same problems as the poster. My screen started blinking/flickering as well and wednesday a week ago it finally died. The first thing I did was check the capacitors which were bulging, so I replaced these. Unfortunately, my screen still refused to turn on, not even the LED was blinking, so today I bought myself a multimeter and measured the same points as was asked:

On the power board :

1 - on/off = 0.18
                2 - A-Dim = 0.14
                3 - 13.5V = 15.64
                4 - 13.5V = 15.64
                5 - 13.5v = 15.64
                6 - GND = 0
                7 - GND = 0
                8 - GND = 0
                9 - B-DIM = 3.36

On the logic board : (since I dont have pin numbers, I will refer to #1 as closest to the top of the board (ribbon cable) or closest to left of the board (power cable in)
                Part IC602
                17-18
                #1 = 3.84
                #2 = 1.82
                #3 = 0

Part ic204
                6p738
                #1 = 5.18
                #2 = 0
                #3 = 5.16

Part ic601
                17-33g
                #1 = 0
                #2 = 3.31
                #3 = 0

Part #ic702
                1501-50
                #1 = 15.64
                #2 = 5.11
                #3 = 0
                #4 = 5.18
                #5 = 0

I hope these measurements make sense and I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by enigmach View Post
                  The first thing I did was check the capacitors which were bulging, so I replaced these.
                  1) What brand and series did you use for replacements? For example, Panasonic is the brand and FM is the series.

2) Did you replace just the bulging ones or all of them?

Part ic601
                  17-33g
                  #1 = 0
                  #2 = 3.31
                  #3 = 0
                  3) Remeasure IC601 and repost the results.

4) The others look okay.
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the response

I remeasured IC601:
                    17-33g
                    #1 = 0
                    #2 = 3.31
                    #3 = 5.19

So I suppose the fault isn't found in this part.

I replaced four bulging ones and two non bulging ones. I can't tell from the outside of the capacitors which brand they are unfortunately, but when I look at the site of my local electronics store, they only carry Panasonic ones for the type that I bought.

The ones I replaced are:
                    1x 330 uF 25 V 105 C
                    6x 820 uF 25 V 105 C

From these, the 330 uF and three 820 uF were bulging. From what I read, the bad capacitors are all CapXCon and from that brand there are still three capacitors on the board:

2x 22 uF 50V
                    1x 47 uF 50V

As far as I can tell they are not bulging, but they might be past their lifetime.

Comment

I would replace them the 47uf 50v could be the startup cap. If the others had gone these would soon follow.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Just finished replacing those three, but unfortunately nothing happened. Anything else I can still try?

Comment

Just to verify, do you have a working computer with your favourite wallpaper connected to the lcd?

If yes, does the power LED show any color at all?
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

When connected, I get nothing I'm afraid. Nothing on the LED and nothing on the screen.

Comment

Ok- Please can you re-test the secondary voltages on the power board as in post 27.
                              Also can you post pictures of the front and back of your board JPG no larger than 2mb,
                              2000x2000 using manage attachments which is in Go Advanced which is under the quick reply box.
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I remeasured the power board and got the same readings as above.

I hope the pics are clear enough.

Please note: I made sure no wires or soldering tin is touching any other part. This might be unclear from the photo.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Can we also get a picture of the logic board?
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ah sorry, I thought selldoor just meant the power board.

Thanks for your effort so far
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by enigmach View Post
                                      Ah sorry, I thought selldoor just meant the power board.
                                      1) He did only ask for the power board. I asked for the logic board because normally the logic board controls the power LED.

2) Pin 1 (on/off) should be over 3V DC when you press the on/off button. It is normally 0V when off.

3) Now post a picture of the front keyboard (where the on/off button is).

With your multimeter, see if the on/off button has DC voltage in both states (on and off).

4) BTW, I don't know if the seller will ship to Netherlands, but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150788996012

Make offer might allow you to buy it as low as $10?

Just something to keep in mind if more troubleshooting is unsuccessful or the bad part is something proprietary and there is no suitable low cost replacement.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Actually pin 9 is your on/off (see CN2). It should read over 3V when the lcd is on.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions again: I just finished doing them.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                          1) He did only ask for the power board. I asked for the logic board because normally the logic board controls the power LED.

2) Pin 1 (on/off) should be over 3V DC when you press the on/off button. It is normally 0V when off.
                                          Pin 1 reads 0.18V and Pin 9 reads 3.38V in both states

3) Now post a picture of the front keyboard (where the on/off button is).

With your multimeter, see if the on/off button has DC voltage in both states (on and off).
                                          Pictures are attached. I'm not really sure how to measure the button. I took the grounded screw and measured the pins in the plug, which gave me a reading of 0 V.

4) BTW, I don't know if the seller will ship to Netherlands, but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150788996012

Make offer might allow you to buy it as low as $10?

Just something to keep in mind if more troubleshooting is unsuccessful or the bad part is something proprietary and there is no suitable low cost replacement.
                                          Unfortunately he doesn't ship to the Netherlands. There are some Chinese sellers that offer it for $35, but if I can avoid it, I'd rather do it without the new board.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X