Problems with Samsung 740N monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with Samsung 740N monitors

I agree with Rtech, check the resistance reading of the high voltage windings of the inverter transformer.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by LuSiD View Post
      Hey guys,

Am i the only one that has this powerboard in my Samsung 740N?

See the attached pictures. The caps seem fine and are labeled 'JH'. What should I do? Does anyone knows what this board is and if it has the same problems with the common ones?

Thank you
      Anyone?

Hey above posters. Did you reply to me or someone else?

Comment

LuSID....your transformer is the same as the one we are referring to.HOWEVER you have not said what fault symptom you have ???/the other problem with your board can be caused by failure of one or more of the 4 Big black diodes.

Comment

You can check the transformer easily: set ohm meter to 2K and measure both secondary windings. Both should be within few % of each other. If one is much lower or much higher, it is bad and you'll have to replace the whole transformer.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Thanks to this thread I managed to fix my Samsung 940b

There was a noise when blue led is blinking on standby and monitor wasn't waking up.
            - first I changed 3 820uF/25V caps - no results.
            - visual check - everything look ok.
            - checked 2 AF4502C mosfets - ok
            - checked t3.15a fuse - ok
            - checked small fuse - ok
            - checked some diodes - ok
            - changed 3 1000uF/10V caps - Monitor is Working, I hope it will stay that way
            Last edited by j00j4nt200; 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm new here, so nice to meet you all.
              I'm facing problems for 740N as well:

1) Power Led is not on at all, even if I push the power button several times.
              2) I changed all three 820uf bulged caps with 1000uf/25v, and changed the 3A pico fuse (broken) , but the power led still not on.
              3) I already changed the TL431, power led still not on.
              4) All rectifiers are ok.
              5) 3.15 fuse is ok
              6) I have checked all CCFL with CCFL testers, all lamps light normally.
              7) Although the power led is not on, but when I measure the voltage of the output pins (as shown in the pic below, circled.. I borrowed photos from kharr)
              the readings are 5,1V and 14,8V. I know this should be 13V. Does 14,8V normal?

Any help please? Thanks a lot.

Comment

We really need pictures of your boards - both sides - the one you have posted
                tells us little of your problem and cannot be effectively enlarged.
                The 12v is less regulated than the 5v and if the lamps are not lighting the voltage would rise a little.

Do the lamps flash at all
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by agun82 View Post
                  I'm new here, so nice to meet you all.
                  I'm facing problems for 740N as well:

1) Power Led is not on at all, even if I push the power button several times.
                  2) I changed all three 820uf bulged caps with 1000uf/25v, and changed the 3A pico fuse (broken) , but the power led still not on.
                  3) I already changed the TL431, power led still not on.
                  4) All rectifiers are ok.
                  5) 3.15 fuse is ok
                  6) I have checked all CCFL with CCFL testers, all lamps light normally.
                  7) Although the power led is not on, but when I measure the voltage of the output pins (as shown in the pic below, circled.. I borrowed photos from kharr)
                  the readings are 5,1V and 14,8V. I know this should be 13V. Does 14,8V normal?

Any help please? Thanks a lot.
                  Sounds like no response from the Dscaler board. Have you tried changing the capacitors for the +5V section? That one is the power supply for the Dscaler board. And just cross your fingers (hoping) that it wasn't a Dscaler problem...
                  Last edited by lexwalker; 12-27-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Service manuals: Notes, there are more than one version of 740N.
                    http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...oria=&kat2=all
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hello, thanks all for your support.

I've installed third party inverter and the unit was able to lit, but it won't receive VGA signal CPU when attached to CPU.
                      Then I was able to get the exact same scalar board from a friend, turns out it was the MCU. I've swap the memory (A81SC) between two boards, and the old scalar board is still dead.
                      So, in conclusion, this particular unit got scalar board problem, and case closed, since it is difficult to find MCU replacement in my country, and changing new scalar board just too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by mladen82 View Post
                        No problem,
                        i repairing lcd monitors
                        this 740N board is replaced with new psu/inverter board (other model - better one) that works with same monitor, so CCFL are ok and in most such cases CCFL are ok

also i have many monitors that have only bad caps in secondary side, they are bad quality but this is not always main cause of their failing

you can check this Panasonic Reliability chart for Aluminium electrolyte capacitors to see why are all possible causes of failing

Some thing i miss to say about original 3A fuse is that may be an fast reacting fuse, also current consumption for inverter part with ccfl is about 1,75-2A, can't be more for this 17'' monitor, so that current can't blow fuse even fuse is fast
                        i just fix my samsung 740N. Didn‚t have original 3A fuse and replaced it /bridged from other side with isolation/ with -dont know in english, a thin wire, one form cable- one "licna" (here in Serbia, it is very common way ). I know that 1 "licna" is approx about 3,5A-4,5A and my monitor still working. I did it just because of curiosity. The picture is clear, but a have 2 thin vertical lines. I thing that the reason is bad connection or simmilar.
                        Last edited by mshone; 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agun82 View Post
                          Hello, thanks all for your support.

I've installed third party inverter and the unit was able to lit, but it won't receive VGA signal CPU when attached to CPU.
                          Then I was able to get the exact same scalar board from a friend, turns out it was the MCU. I've swap the memory (A81SC) between two boards, and the old scalar board is still dead.
                          So, in conclusion, this particular unit got scalar board problem, and case closed, since it is difficult to find MCU replacement in my country, and changing new scalar board just too expensive.
                          If the Dscaler board ever fail then its always going to be very difficult (searching for a spare board from the same monitor brand and model somewhere). As mentioned earlier, was hoping it wasn't the Dscaler board but unfortunately it was (as you've had found out). Myself also have at least two monitors collecting dust due to Dscaler board problems...

Originally posted by mshone View Post
                          i just fix my samsung 740N. Didn‚t have original 3A fuse and replaced it /bridged from other side with isolation/ with -dont know in english, a thin wire, one form cable- one "licna" (here in Serbia, it is very common way ). I know that 1 "licna" is approx about 3,5A-4,5A and my monitor still working. I did it just because of curiosity. The picture is clear, but a have 2 thin vertical lines. I thing that the reason is bad connection or simmilar.
                          You can find 3A fuse easily in ATX power supplies used for PCs. Thus can look for them in scrap/faulty ATX power supplies. If those vertical lines stay in the same place all the time, then very likely the LCD panel is bad. Usually either the Tcon board and/or bonding tabs.

Comment

Stranded wire I guess. But this is not really good…if it goes bad again, the problem would propagate further, destroying other components on the way. You can use more or less any type/size of fuse as long as you are able to solder it in somehow
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by EGuevarae View Post
                              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                              Like ! i am "1".

Comment

Originally posted by lexwalker View Post
                                If the Dscaler board ever fail then its always going to be very difficult (searching for a spare board from the same monitor brand and model somewhere). As mentioned earlier, was hoping it wasn't the Dscaler board but unfortunately it was (as you've had found out). Myself also have at least two monitors collecting dust due to Dscaler board problems...

You can find 3A fuse easily in ATX power supplies used for PCs. Thus can look for them in scrap/faulty ATX power supplies. If those vertical lines stay in the same place all the time, then very likely the LCD panel is bad. Usually either the Tcon board and/or bonding tabs.
                                Tnx for info about findig fuses. That kind of garbage we have a lot. I agree that a monitor is possibile fault, it was a toy practicly. Best is that i learned something new. Tnx again.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                  Stranded wire I guess. But this is not really good…if it goes bad again, the problem would propagate further, destroying other components on the way. You can use more or less any type/size of fuse as long as you are able to solder it in somehow
                                  I agree, it was just experiment. Ill try to find original replacement, tnx for advice.

Comment

Tnx for info about findig fuses. That kind of garbage we have a lot. I agree that a monitor is possibile fault, it was a toy practicly. Best is that i learned something new. Tnx again.
                                    If you had opened up and fixed/repaired enough of those ATX PSUs, then should be familiar with that 3A fuse. Those two I've mentioned (with Dscaler board problems) was a Samsung SyncMaster 153V and Samsung SyncMaster 931BW. Just waiting for spare boards preferably for free and/or cheap bargains from other faulty units (with panel problems)...

Recently revived a Samsung B2030 which was struck by lightning (pretty badly) but luckily the Dscaler board was not toasted. Every time a new different monitor came in for repair, its always a new learning experience in getting to know the monitor better (whether its disassembling it, or examining the boards inside). Now two more just came in, a BenQ T221W and a BenQ G920HD, both of which I had not laid my hands on before...
                                    Last edited by lexwalker; 01-06-2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Hello friends, I joined this forum after my syncmaster 940n stopped working the other day, dark screen with no display and no flashing led. Led continuously working without flashes.

I've check the fuses, they're Ok, I've replaced the capacitors as well 1000uf 25V. Any idea of please

Comment

There are different boards in these machines good clear pictures would help us to help you.
                                        Does the screen flash on for a second when you first switch on?
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I don't see anything on the screen when I switch on the power. It stays black with power led continously working. I'm attaching the picture. Thanks :-)
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X