My pc100 does not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pc100 does not start

Hi guys it me, again... My PSU don't want to start, it has 5vsb, I already took the mov out and changed the fuse because both blew out, I think the 3.3v rectifier (cep603al) is dead because I can read 90 ohms of resistance between orange and ground, when I took out the rectifier, the short went out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Drack; 12-30-2016, 02:49 PM.

Re: My pc100 does not start

if it blew the fuse, it probably has shorted primary transistors.

Comment

No, they are not, but i measured the primary cap and only 160v DC are coming

Comment

There is 5vsb and when I turn the PSU on, it would shut itself off after half a second

Comment

the optoisolator looks like it had a flashover at the end facing the metal shield!

Comment

That 90 ohms from +3.3V to ground might be a 91 ohm (or 90.9 ohm) preload resistor. That's a flyback (probably discontinuous) design, and such designs often need some preload. The dissipated power would be about 1/8W, so a 1/4 watt resistor would be easily adequate.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

It's a plastic sheet stj, the camera makes it look metallic
              Last edited by Drack; 12-30-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

sounds like the PWM is dead and a major event has happened. As stj already said, that usually goes with something blown up in the primary. However since you have 160V on the main filter cap, the FET should be o.k. What is printed on the PWM?
                Last edited by CapLeaker; 12-30-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

It is a kia339p I have a aZ339p and utc339 on the shelf
                  Last edited by Drack; 12-30-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

that's a voltage comperator, not a PWM. I am looking for the smaller IC with 8 legs next to the large main filter cap.

Comment

Pete, when I took the rectifier out the resistance went up to 3200ohm I think

Comment

It says uc3142p

Comment

maybe a UC3842? See if the PWM has proper Vcc (pin 7)

Comment

It has its 8 pins(weird) this PSU is at 25 bucks on eBay lol

Comment

anyway... see if the PWM gets proper Vcc voltage on pin 7. If not, it may either be in under voltage lockout, or the dropping resistor feeding it went high in value. Other than that, you can try changing it out, or buy for 25 bux another one from flea-bay.

Comment

I already have another PSU lol, and 25 bucks is what you won on 3 months over here on average I will check tomorrow its almost 23:00 over here, thanks for the help
                                Last edited by Drack; 12-30-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

¡Happy new year guys!

Comment

Fuse might have blown because of a bad MOV, or maybe the MOV blew from a voltage spike and blew the fuse. A spike may have damaged something else too.
                                    But not sure where the MOV is you speak of, I only see two Y-Capacitors and neither looks bad.

Switching transistor might have shorted but then burned out and gone open-circuit afterwards. There doesn't need to be a heck of a lot (if any) outward signs of this on the component body either (although there usually is)

That 8-Pin PWM controller does look like it has a hole in it.
                                    Last edited by Agent24; 01-01-2017, 07:36 PM.
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post

That 8-Pin PWM controller does look like it has a hole in it.
                                      It sure does look like that IC-chip has a hole in it
                                      It needs to be replaced
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply
                                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I can't tell on that pic if it has a hole or not, but I am sure as heck that the PWM is dead for one reason or the other. Either it isn't getting any Vcc or it's dead.
                                        Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X