Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourcing replacement backlight SMD LEDs or Strips (LG panel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourcing replacement backlight SMD LEDs or Strips (LG panel)

Hi. I would like to gather advice about sourcing replacement SMD LEDs and/or LED backlight strip PCBs. As this is a general issue I thought we can have have a new thread.

As you will see here, I have an HP ZR2740W 27" IPS monitor for which I need to repair or replace one of the backlight strips. The panel is made by LG. I cannot work out how to find replacements.

I know the electrical characteristics, physical dimensions and details of the panel. I need to identify the correct replacements and find a supplier who will sell in a low qty (say 10) and ship to UK.

The specs for the LEDs I need to find:

Panel:
    Mfr: LG
    Panel Model: LM270WQ1-SDDA

Backlight:
    Configuration: 2 strip PCBs each with 3 electrical strips of 12 LEDs. 35.5V each.
    Part number on PCB "SUNG WEI 20V0", "LM270WQ1 *RIGHT* WR (100223 MB27083U rev B)"

LED chips:
    Fwd Current: 310-330mA
    Voltage: 3V
    Power: Approx 1W
    Size: 3mm square
    Lens: hemispherical domed yellow lens
    Package: 4 pin SMD, only 2 pins used.

Obviously they also need to be the same colour and luminosity but I can't see specs for these. Is there at least a standard colour temp used?

I have attached pics showing the LEDs next to a ruler. The one I have damaged (during disassembly) shows the electrical pinout.

thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Sourcing replacement backlight SMD LEDs or Strips (LG panel)

So I found the LEDs are coded with a 4 digit number which represents the x,y dimensions in tenths of mm. For instance there is 3528 which is 3.5mm x 2.8mm.

Mine are 3.0mm square so I'm looking for 3030 SMD. This doesn't seem very common and none of these parts have the domed lenses that the original strip has.

I guess the LEDs for the LG panel would have been manufactured by "LG Innotek" so I will see if there is a parts division I can email.

These are the most similar I found so far.

Any ideas anyone? I'd also be interested to know how much it is likely to matter to get the exact same brightness and colour.

HP's spec for the monitor says "Default color temperature 6500 K". Could I assume this is the correct colour for the LEDs?

thanks!

Comment

I had naively thought that the LEDs might be generic or easy to find. This is definitely not the case. My advice for anyone else looking for backlight LEDs chips is to contact 'lelos2' on the most popular auction site. He has been exceptionally helpful and is building a database of LED part compatibility.

Comment

see if any of these match up ...https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/displ...333020534D4426

Comment

or here:
          https://www.rapidonline.com/surface-mount-power-leds

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the help. I think i've got the right parts on order now thanks to Mr 'lelos2' on eBay.

I had seen the Osram ones looked similar but they were not the same. The parts he found were Lumileds LXML-PWD9N, 3W 3V 3030. They certainly are the same voltage, have the same type of lens and have the same solder pad pattern. I'm awaiting the order, so will be able to try in a couple of weeks.

My advice is that it is really hard to find the exact correct LED, and that I found someone who was able to help locate the right part in the end!

I realised that the other 3V 3mmx3mm ones i found simply would not fit due to the different solder pad patterns. I just looked at the data sheet for the Osram ones on RS which you posted (thanks PeteHall). These have 3 parallel strips as pads. See attached for the pads on these LEDs which seem pretty unique.

I'm hoping these turn out to be exactly the same as the originals, and hoping i can solder them on with the hot air station OK. Both things harder than anticipated
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cmg; 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

only way i know of doing it properly is using a heat pad so the heat comes from the back of the strip
              .. i have not tried replacing single led.s yet .
              fingers crossed the light is the same as originals when you do yours .
              i have only replaced whole strips from same id number panel .
              in the manuals i have read it says replace all strips . as you will know this is too expensive even if used ones are used .never mind a set of new ones .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                only way i know of doing it properly is using a heat pad so the heat comes from the back of the strip
                .. i have not tried replacing single led.s yet .
                fingers crossed the light is the same as originals when you do yours .
                i have only replaced whole strips from same id number panel .
                in the manuals i have read it says replace all strips . as you will know this is too expensive even if used ones are used .never mind a set of new ones .
                Thanks Pete.

Well, Google hasn't shown me any hits at all that point to being able to find a replacement strip so that is not an option anyway. It is definitely special for this panel as the PCB has the panel model # on it.

When i was trying to remove it i was focusing on the side with the A, K pins and didn't think of the huge heat pad underneath the other side. Maybe better next time as there are a handful i need to replace. I cracked the lenses off when removing the strip. I think the original fault was a dry joint on the connector (which is really weedy and fell off the PCB whist removing). All but one of the LEDs worked and the strip that was causing the PSU to shutdown was not the one with the shorted LED in.

Comment

have you got a link to the seller your using thanks
                  this is a good video showing the heat pad method but you can also use a hot air gun on the underside of the strip
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZVQKEp6jxk

and from 12 minutes in on this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf5T2wwtydY
                  Last edited by vinceroger69; 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Hi. The seller's page is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lelos2

He's very helpful and he has lots of LEDs listed. I haven't yet got the LEDs so I can't say if they are definitely right.

Thanks for the videos - that was interesting. The strip i have is small and narrow (see pics). I think I'll continue to try heating from above with the rework gun. I was using the narrowest nozzle (<2mm dia); perhaps I should use a larger one and turn up the flow and/or temp. The specs for such LEDs seem to say the reflow temp should be 260C but this wouldnt budge until the station was set to about 350C.

thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

did you add flux ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                        did you add flux ?
                        No. I've got flux and lead free solder paste in the mail. Actually I didn't realize flux will help with desoldering. I'm new to hot air soldering. I'm planning to solder the new LEDs on with solder paste and hot air. It is not possible to solder these with an iron as the pad is right underneath. When i get the paste and flux i'll practice with some scrap PCBs. Hopefully small SMD power transistors / voltage regs will seem similar to solder.

Comment

hope you can get them hot enough without damaging the led.s . they are normally done with a heat pad .
                          i would use leaded solder because it melts at lower temp. . not sure if you can get leaded paste for these days though ..we used to use leaded for tinning the steel for body soldering on vehicles before they invented polyester body filler ..
                          Last edited by petehall347; 01-18-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

too bad its not 3535.lots of choices.
                            btw most lcd strips i have seen are 7500-8000k
                            blueish/purplish.

Comment

Originally posted by cmg View Post
                              Hi. The seller's page is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lelos2

He's very helpful and he has lots of LEDs listed. I haven't yet got the LEDs so I can't say if they are definitely right.

Thanks for the videos - that was interesting. The strip i have is small and narrow (see pics). I think I'll continue to try heating from above with the rework gun. I was using the narrowest nozzle (<2mm dia); perhaps I should use a larger one and turn up the flow and/or temp. The specs for such LEDs seem to say the reflow temp should be 260C but this wouldnt budge until the station was set to about 350C.

thanks!
                              The temperature on your station display is not the temperature at the nozzle.
                              I have mine set about 380c.
                              I'd use a larger nozzle as there is less chance of damage to the LED.
                              I use a dab of flux to remove and another dab to help the reattachment.
                              I used working LEDs pulled off one strip to repair 4 strips.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try on some scrap PCBs while waiting for the new LEDs.

Comment

OK.. I fixed it now! This was thanks to the seller mentioned above finding the right LEDs.
                                  Soldering the new ones on was very tricky indeed. The first few i did look pretty awful and eventually the don't look too far off the original ones.

The LEDs were closely spaced so heating the whole strip seemed like a bad idea. The most successful method i had was to tin the pads and the underside of the LED with an iron, then melt the solder on the pads with the hot air set at 315C. Then i'd slowly lower the LED over it, keep heating for a few seconds and remove the hot air. Then go round adding solder paste and either reflowing or using the iron until the A and K were soldered well. I couldnt manage to just sit the LED there with paste and apply hot air. The LEDs got melted and/or flew off the board.

Comment

Updating this due to comments on the other thread.

Pic shows the strip fixed, then tested using a little constant current source PCB (showing 33V). Finally i tested it in situ. This WAS necessary because the connector is very dodgy and once I didn't solder it very well, finding it failed again when I had reassembled the panel.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I have the same issue on hp z1 g2 27” cheap Samsung. Thank you for the useful forum.

Comment

Did you get the same left hand and right hand side intensity? Ty

Comment

Working...
                                        X