Ubuntu 16.04 on a PPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 16.04 on a PPC

Today's positive object lesson was something I never expected to even attempt... I was cleaning out some more junk....namely, 4x PPC iMac's that were used many many moons ago for some polymodding experiments. These machines all work...but with OSX 10.5 being the last version supported by the PPC platform, they are pretty useless systems....especially when the newest version of FF they can run is 3.8.xx....they're just taking up space.

I have 2x 20" and 2x 17", which got carried from the attic & back office to by the back door so I could load them into the truck with some other stuff....some of which I was going to take to the recycler, the iMac's were going to the salvation army to be donated..... I had a recallection of Ubuntu supporting these a long time ago and being sketchy & wonky as hell....so I decided I'd just take a peek and see if support by Ubuntu ended or progressed. Well, apparently some of the geeks with Ubuntu have some love for the PPC, as its still supported officially...I was kind of surprised....so what the hell, I grabbed a 20" off the floor and after downloading the ISO for 16.04.

I remember trying this with v8.xxx, and it was a disaster, and I never looked back at it...but what the hell, lets try one more time. Lubuntu 16.04 ran live just fine, so attempting the install was worth a shot. At the end of the day, had to fiddle around with it a little to get the sound and the wifi to work, but otherwise its not bad. FF45.0.2 prepackaged and the usual stuff....but its stable and very usable. Is it a powerhouse? Hell no. PPC single core CPU @ 2.1GHz 2GB ram....yea, nothing to get excited about....but now they're not going to the salvation army for the tax writeoff. They are great web browsers for the shop in this state....if one gets chemicals splashed on it or knocked off a bench, its no loss.... Not bad!

Ratdude, you better dig yours out!

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on a PPC

Nice!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Looks like a nice machine, good for you.

Comment

You know about TenFourFox, right?

Comment

nope....but after installing updates yesterday its running FF47.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by yuhong View Post
            FWIW, I looked that up and tried this on the other 20" iMac I had that still has OSX10.5.8 on it. It runs nicely. thanks for the tip.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I have a PPC G5 that i run with Debiam wheezy but no flasplayer,

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Ratdude, you better dig yours out!
                Still have it, still in box as I don't have a place or use in this apartment. Shoot, I have 3 workstations sitting without a place or use for that matter... Stupid cramped apartment...

That said, my church has a couple and a pair of Powermac G5's in service... But seriously the next few dumpster scores are going there to replace them as nobody likes them anymore (especially the powermacs in the AV booth, I nurse them along but man do they drag ass).
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  FWIW, I looked that up and tried this on the other 20" iMac I had that still has OSX10.5.8 on it. It runs nicely. thanks for the tip.
                  Originally posted by yuhong View Post
                  Noted. Will try at Church.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                  X