LG 50PK550 clicking - plasma newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 50PK550 clicking - plasma newbie

if your not sure remove them from the board and test in ohms mode that way you cant really go wrong (what does each resistor measure in circuit?)

Comment

With the resistors removed and MM set to 200 ohm:

R927: 10.3
      R928: 10.2
      R929: 10.5

Comment

yes there ok then. save me re reading the whole thread as on my phone what parts have you so far replaced?

Comment

I replaced IC301 and the diode (D304 which I was told later was still good) in that same area.
          After replacing IC301 the tv no longer clicked on at all. That's when I thought I messed up the tracers(?) when soldering.

Comment

in post 27 chris says replace green capacitor? have you checked this
            in post 38 can you clean that area up using some cleaner just so we can see the pcb traces better
            Last edited by vinceroger69; 01-16-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I have removed C802 and when testing in high ohm on the meter I get nothing. I thought I saw a blip of 19xx at one time but now I got nothing.
              For cleaner, is alcohol recommended or some other specific pcb cleaner?

Comment

i use isopropyl alcohol and a old tooth brush some people use nail varnish remover too just make sure its all off/dry before powering the psu up.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                  i use isopropyl alcohol and a old tooth brush some people use nail varnish remover too just make sure its all off/dry before powering the psu up.
                  OK, will get it scrubbed up and post a pic. Also ordered a replacement cap and will install hopefully tomorrrow. Digi-Key is here in MN so I typically get my parts next day.

Comment

thats good service if i use cpc etc in the uk its three to four days usually unless you pay extra postage costs

Comment

So here's the pic. Not sure what to look for but does it look like a gap between the solder and the "tracer" (I don't even know if that's what it's called) in the top right of the four pins for IC301?
                      If so, how do I "fill" this gap? Solder?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jason424 View Post
                        So here's the pic. Not sure what to look for but does it look like a gap between the solder and the "tracer" (I don't even know if that's what it's called) in the top right of the four pins for IC301?
                        If so, how do I "fill" this gap? Solder?
                        Jumper a wire between the 2 red dots to fix this trace break.

Then see if you get any different action from the set.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have removed C802 and when testing in high ohm on the meter I get nothing. I thought I saw a blip of 19xx at one time but now I got nothing.
                          For cleaner, is alcohol recommended or some other specific pcb cleaner?
                          just replace the cap ...you cant test it
                          Its probable somewhere between 222 or 333 at 1500v

Comment

Originally posted by chrismurphy View Post
                            just replace the cap ...you cant test it
                            Its probable somewhere between 222 or 333 at 1500v
                            I'd fix the broken trace first and see what the tv does tho

Comment

What kind of wire do I use as a jumper? I have copper speaker cable...can I pull a strand from that or does it have to be aluminum/silver?

EDIT: Or would one of the wires from a cell phone charger cable suffice? Have plenty of those broken around here from the wife and kids.
                              Last edited by jason424; 01-16-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

What kind of wire do I use as a jumper? I have copper speaker cable...can I pull a strand from that or does it have to be aluminum/silver?

EDIT: Or would one of the wires from a cell phone charger cable suffice? Have plenty of those broken around here from the wife and kids.
                                That trace doesn't appear to be carrying any massive amount of current judging by its size. Wire from a Cellphone USB cable should be fine. Keep it tidy and as short as possible. Since you appear to be new to the soldering world, I'd suggest posting a picture of your job before powering it up so we can take a look. Make sure it doesnt have any issues that would cause smoke, smoke and fire are bad in this trade lol.
                                Last edited by JeffJ; 01-16-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Here's my jumper. I put the original cap back in and had already tested. Still nothing at all. The little board below this one used to have a green blinking light. That hasn't been shown since I replaced the IC301
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's my jumper. I put the original cap back in and had already tested. Still nothing at all. The little board below this one used to have a green blinking light. That hasn't been shown since I replaced the IC301
                                    Not terrible but also looks like it might be a cold joint can you test for continuity between the two points you soldered. touch the solder with your meter not the wire its self.

If it passes a continuity test, then while the trace had to be repaired for sure, your issue lies elsewhere still. Maybe that cap is indeed bad.

Comment

It passes, but I will resolder tomorrow to get it a little cleaner. I'm sure that new cap will be here tomorrow so I will get that in and see what I have after that.

Thank you to each of you for walking a newbie through this, I appreciate it!

Comment

what is the power supply board number used in this set

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                          what is the power supply board number used in this set
                                          eax61392501/8

Comment

Working...
                                          X