Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless card not picking up all wireless networks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card not picking up all wireless networks?

Despite being within range of a wireless network and it is still not being picked up, check the Region setting (Advanced Options) in Device Manager for the wireless networking device in question and set it according to your country.
    In a number of cases, the default Region is set to US (Channels 1-11).

Also, check the 20/40 MHz setting (if available) and change it to from 20 MHz Only to Auto and do the same on the wireless access point you own to help enhance performance.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Wireless card not picking up all wireless networks?

I got a alfa u.s.b. antenna, it picks up just about all the wifi sig.s around.

Comment

It depends on the band/technology you're using.
      Any 2.4Ghz wireless (b,g and n) is susceptible to interference from microwaves, baby monitors, video streamers, cordless phones and the like.
      The optimal channels to be on are 1, 6 and 11. However it depends what you're neighbours are on.
      Switching to 5GHz technology (n and ac) will help alleviate interference/connection issues.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        It depends on the band/technology you're using.
        Any 2.4Ghz wireless (b,g and n) is susceptible to interference from microwaves, baby monitors, video streamers, cordless phones and the like.
        The optimal channels to be on are 1, 6 and 11. However it depends what you're neighbours are on.
        The problem I am talking about is not related to other 2.4 GHz wireless devices and microwave ovens.
        I forgot to mention that the access point in question which was not being detected by a particular computer (but all others devices detect it OK) was set to Channel 13 (primary 802.11n channel; secondary is Channel 9 for the same radio - the wireless client will only detect a wireless network on a primary channel); the typical default for a wireless client which driver installation cannot sense regional settings is Channels 1-11 (US).

For the 2.4 GHz band, Australia allows use of Channels 1-13 on wireless network access points; optimum channels (per 20 MHz wide stream without the use of 802.11b devices which use a slightly wider stream) are 1, 5, 9, and 13.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Its 1, 6 and 11 if you don't want channel overlap.
          I've seen issues with PCs with their metal cases causing issues with wireless.

Comment

Its 1, 6 and 11 if you don't want channel overlap.
            I've seen issues with PCs with their metal cases causing issues with wireless.
            Per channel/stream, Wireless-B is 22MHz wide and Wireless-G and Wireless-N is 20MHz wide.

Comment

N is 40MHz wide if its on 5GHz.

Comment

I thought all the wifi antennas that covered the 5 Ghz band also covered the the 2.4 , but I may be wrong . This is that alfa .
                http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH...&keywords=alfa

Comment

N is 40MHz wide if its on 5GHz.
                  This is correct for Wireless-N 300 mode if 40MHz channel width mode is selected (automatically or manually).

Comment

Working...
                  X