ESR meter kit - not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter kit - not working

Looks like a great deal, about 20 bucks less than mine and not have to cobble up a case of some kind, not to mention those other included accessories.

Wondering can you tell me Stj, the first one only would show the price in ruples (1544), and the second a price of about 23 bucks, so how much extra does it cost to get the one with a case - I suppose I could enable javascript and try to find out, but since I'm on dialup that slows things down so much I still may never find out by doing that.
    Last edited by xelectech; 02-03-2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      Your javascript paranoia cost you $40.
      It's not paranoia, it's an aversion 8^)

Comment

Sorry, I forgot you are on dialup.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot you are on dialup.
          No probs

Comment

why dont you remove your harddrive and boot a linux livedisk?
            then the java cant take your stuff over!

$19.09 without the case,
            $23.48 with the case

$6.19 just for the case & mounting hardware.
            http://www.banggood.com/Supporting-S...-p-989949.html

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              why dont you remove your harddrive and boot a linux livedisk?
              then the java cant take your stuff over!

$19.09 without the case,
              $23.48 with the case

$6.19 just for the case & mounting hardware.
              http://www.banggood.com/Supporting-S...-p-989949.html
              Thanks, much appreciated!

As for using a livedisk, that would deal with my paranoia, but there's still the matter of my aversion (kinda joking there); may have to try that, that might be a good painless way of keeping my 'stuff' more secure.

Comment

My opinion: only way to really keep your stuff secure is to do regular backups. Everything else is a crap-shoot.

Comment

I would recommend booting from a Linux live disc for security and definitely for those that insist on internet banking.

If you are worried about JavaScript (not sure why) install noscript.

If you want to keep your stuff secure, don't have it on an internet connected PC, have a backup and verify those backups.

Comment

All right, the esr meter lives, I had to go out and get a 100 nf cap for calibration purposes - hope + or (-) 10% tolerance is close enough.

I think I'm gonna mount it in an defunct modem enclosure, and I was thinking of putting three binding posts on the box as a place to attach some meter leads, unless I can get away with just 2 binding posts.

Why does it have 3 inputs, anyway, can anyone tell from the schematic I uploaded what is the purpose of having 3? In the limited lierature for it (there's 2 whole pages) there's no mention of that.

Comment

This meter may also be able too test transistors etc hence the the test holes.

Comment

for testing transistors and double-diodes etc.
                        go read that pdf i posted.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                          I would recommend booting from a Linux live disc for security and definitely for those that insist on internet banking.

If you are worried about JavaScript (not sure why) install noscript.

If you want to keep your stuff secure, don't have it on an internet connected PC, have a backup and verify those backups.
                          The main problem for me with javascript is it makes webpage loading take ridiculous amounts of time (on dialup with a 56k modem); also, since I don't know what the
                          he77 is going on with/in my 'puter while it's sitting there looking dumb, I'm always concern that a bunch of useless, or maybe even malicious crap is being installed while I wait.

I'll have to do some reading on this 'noscript' thing, thanks for mentioning it.

My backup strategy is not for the faint of heart - so far so good...

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            This meter may also be able too test transistors etc hence the the test holes.
                            You're right, it's a transistor tester too, I'll have to mount it so the little 3 pin header just sticks out of the box. So, maybe 2 binding posts will be enough...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              for testing transistors and double-diodes etc.
                              go read that pdf i posted.
                              Ok, thanks, I've been reading but I can't seem to make it past but a page or 2 at a time -
                              then I have to start over 8^)

Comment

Thread title would now read 'ESR meter kit - now working' if it morphed with the progress of the thread.

It turned out ok, but I had a couple slips with the dremel, was thinking of putting the pics in the ghetto-mod collection, but then decided not to. So for those with any interest here's some pics:
                                Attached Files

Comment

That looks good enuf to me.

Comment

That looks good enuf to me.
                                    Yeah, it's a tool, not a product.

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
                                      The main problem for me with javascript is it makes webpage loading take ridiculous amounts of time (on dialup with a 56k modem); also, since I don't know what the
                                      he77 is going on with/in my 'puter while it's sitting there looking dumb, I'm always concern that a bunch of useless, or maybe even malicious crap is being installed while I wait.

I'll have to do some reading on this 'noscript' thing, thanks for mentioning it.

My backup strategy is not for the faint of heart - so far so good...
                                      Ghostery is another browser addon to consider. It blocks trackers, analytics and the such that run on webpages. Should speed things up a little if you don't already block them.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        Ghostery is another browser addon to consider. It blocks trackers, analytics and the such that run on webpages. Should speed things up a little if you don't already block them.
                                        Thanks, I'll have to do some reading on that in the next few days too, got a couple videos from youtube on securing the browser in Ubuntu...

And, also, thanks to all for the help and moral support while getting my meter going!

Comment

if you run firefox then install this:
                                          https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Comment

Working...
                                          X