What's the point of a 0Ω resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point of a 0Ω resistor?

Was looking through some schematics and saw a 0Ω resistor. What is the point of having a resistor if it isn't even 1Ω?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: What's the point of a 0Ω resistor?

Can burn out if too much current/voltage is applied Ie S/C further downline so can act as a fuse. Vestel do this all the Tv with their Tv boards use 0ohms as fuses. But they can also act as links etc.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Oh Ok
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

they could have just called it a fusible resistor in the schematic? i believe they even have a circuit symbol for fusible resistors?

Comment

they are often fitted because you can lift them to isolate parts of a circuit,
          or because they need to bridge over some other tracks, and old pick&place machines couldnt auto-insert jumpwires.
          but they could insert resistors.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            they are often fitted because you can lift them to isolate parts of a circuit,
            or because they need to bridge over some other tracks, and old pick&place machines couldnt auto-insert jumpwires.
            but they could insert resistors.
            never though of that ... always made me wonder but never studied it ... i thought them as fuses .. then again i see lots of resistors as fuses .especially if limiting current

Comment

if you crush a 0-ohm resistor you will find that atleast 50% of them are actually a continuous copper wire or even a metal sleeve and not a carbon or metal-oxide device at all.

i just murdered one for you.
              pic1 - as it was desoldered.
              pic2 removed the paint - looks like a plated metal body.
              pic3 - crushed it in a crimp tool - it's solid copper with tin plating!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Probably because the pick & place automated assembly can't handle straight wires.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                  Was looking through some schematics and saw a 0Ω resistor. What is the point of having a resistor if it isn't even 1Ω?
                  There are various reasons, some are already mentioned.

But there's also another reason:
                  They are often used as a jumper nowadays. Like on AMDs Radeon RX480 reference Board, there are a couple of 0 Ohm Resistors used to adjust the distribution of power. Ie if the Power comes from the PCIe slot or the Power cable.

With this knowledge you can also modify some graphics cards to run either totally off the cable or the slot.

Comment

Hmmm

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X