PS3 CECHL03 overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 CECHL03 overheat

Alright guys... I got a PS3 CECHL03 model with 80Gb HDD. For the first time I powered it on, after not more than 1 min the fan ramp all the way up to full speed and ~ 1 or 2 min it powered itself off, on top of the display it pop out an error saying temp is rising bla bla bla... then shut off. So i took it a part, found there is no dust obstructing the heatsink and air flow. Reapplied the thermal paste (i would't say the old paste is totally dried up, as it is still kinda sticky). Power it on and it remain the same, thermal error pop up and shut off by itself. What wrong with it guys ? Does it has something to do with the reflow (I don't think mine has the YLOD) ?

Re: PS3 CECHL03 overheat

you need to replace the paste UNDER the metal caps on the cpu & gpu
    you do this by *very* carefully running a razor blade through the rubber sealant holding the cap onto the cpu and the epoxy-like stuff holding the cap to the gpu.

Comment

^
      It is something similar to deliding intel processor right ? if so after i delided it do i need to re-glue the metal cap ?

Is this method ok to use ?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDK9aR_xXrs

Comment

you dont need to glue the cap, but you need to clean all the rubber off or it will hold it above the paste - probably the original problem!

i dont know if heating it will make it more easy, but it will make it harder to hold wihout gloves!!

Comment

You have a 50/50 chance of turning your PS3 into a boat anchor when removing the CELL IHS. I made a special tool out of a thin piece of scrap metal and used a file to make a cutting edge. I bent it into an L shape and push it between the IHS and CELL when its hot. I used the metal shield that's on the inside of the top cover of a xbox 360.

If you scratch the top of the CELL you should just stop and throw it in the trash. I have done this to a number of consoles and even when I don't scratch the CELL its still goes to blinking red light, even after I reball the CELL and RSX. Use a magnifying glass/microscope to check the chip after the IHS is off. Don't try and clean the adhesive off the top of the CELL, you will just damage the traces.

The RSX is fairly easy. Heat the lid to about 150C and take a butter knife and stick in the side next to the CELL, lightly twist the knife and it should pop off. Use a new razor blade and clean off the adhesive off the chip and IHS when they are hot.

I always do the RSX first and if it still overheats then go after the CELL.

Comment

Working...
          X