Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nyko Data Bank for ps4 not powering HDD

Hi Guys,
    I have a nyko databank that allows a 3.5" HDD to be used with a PS4.
    The thing has stopped powering up any HDDs (the HDDstill works in a PC)
    I have traced the issue to the 12V power supply. when sitting idle the power jumps all over the place as in this video:
    https://youtu.be/7jh1wkTOnXQ
    You can hear the beep when i switch it on but then the voltage reading goes nuts.

The 5v comes from the console but plugs into the smaller white connector on the power supply (either to switch it on or just allow the 5v to pass through to the larger connector where both 12v and 5v run up to the sata plug)
    5v seems fine: https://youtu.be/xQZaVRKtNks

The soldering quality is also not so good with a lot of joints that will at least need a reflow to make me feel happy. It also contains Jwco and Chong Capacitors that I should also replace if I want this thing to live a long time.
    Everything else looks ok, i'm not sure where to start on this one.
    Attached Files
    I'm currently a Part-time Computer Systems Engineering student.
    Full time Service Assurance (faults) for a large Telco.

Re: Nyko Data Bank for ps4 not powering HDD

Well it could be as simple as the caps are gone...
    Try heating it up to 60°C or so and see if it behaves better.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

dont connect it to a drive till it's fixed - unless you want to risk the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        dont connect it to a drive till it's fixed - unless you want to risk the drive.
        +1 i could just see the 12v hitting 17v!
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Yeah absolutely, haven't connected the HDD since I noticed it not working.
          I was expecting it to be totally dead, not jumping all over the place like that.

I think I'll start by replacing the caps with something decent (usually Panasonic is easiest for me to get) and i'll rework the bad solder joints and see how it goes.

Comment

have any old drives that you don't need?
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              have any old drives that you don't need?
              Not any old days ones no.... It's ok I'll make sure it's healthy before plugging it back in.

Comment

Well a disappointing update.....
                I started off by replacing all the caps with Panasonic ones (what was on there were crap so worth replacing anyway) and re-flowed all the bad soldering.
                and it still does the same thing

As the 12v only goes haywire once the console is turned on, I'm thinking there is something faulty that runs off the 5v it receives from the console (5v goes into the smaller of the two white connectors)
                I'll have to try and trace it out.

Anyone else have any tips?

Comment

Sounds like something in the console is going haywire...
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                    Sounds like something in the console is going haywire...
                    it wouldn't be, because that same 5v from the console powers the original 2.5" HDD without any issues.

Comment

What is the part number of the two surface mount ic chips 8 pin ones on the back of the board ?
                      It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like one the 3 pin surface mount ic chip looks like it is burnt on the low voltage side of board in the photo if this case that would explain the problem your having
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-19-2016, 10:47 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                        What is the part number of the two surface mount ic chips 8 pin ones on the back of the board ?
                        It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like one the 3 pin surface mount ic chip looks like it is burnt on the low voltage side of board in the photo if this case that would explain the problem your having
                        Hi Sam,
                        The part numbers on those 8 pin chips are 9435 1622.

Yeah that 3 pin ic had some sort of flux or something on it that wiped off. it looks ok to me, i'll upload another pic of that section of the board.
                        I think that may have also been one of the joints I reflowed that didn't look too good.

This is pretty much where i'm up to. trying to google the numbers on the IC's but not having much luck so not 100% sure what each pin is.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think I found the problem.
                          one of those 8pin IC's is shorted. I'll remove it and test to be sure.
                          looks like these mosfets are it: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6710750/
                          thanks for the tip in the right direction.
                          Last edited by synapse; 11-20-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I thought that the way the part was lay out on the board that it might be a MOSFET and if was that might be the place to look at
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

gah this thing is anoying....
                              yes one of those mosfets was shorted, and no, replacing it still hasn't solved the issue

Comment

Working...
                              X