Xbox RROD succesfully fixed plus modded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox RROD succesfully fixed plus modded

Our Halo 3 edition (Elite) Xbox went RROD about three months ago. The wife looked into sending it to Microshaft, but they wanted $100 due to it being beyond the RROD extended warranty (over 3 years old). I searched the interwebs looking for fixes and mods that made sense to me. This is the process I used today to correct the failure.

First off, was the Arctic Silver 5 and reflow, while retaining original x clamps. I reflowed by powering the unit on with the fans unplugged, and waited till it flashed the two left red lights to indicate an overheat.

Second was bypassing the PWM'd transistor for the exhaust fans. This was to supply the 12v fans with constant 12v rather than an average of 5.4v. Ignore the red line. The yellow line depicts the jumper from the 12v leg of the transistor to the positive post on the fan header. the two outer posts are soldered to the same trace and powered by the same transistor. I used a lead sourced from a resistor. I went this way, rather than tapping into the DVD drive power because i read that tapping could lead to glitchy dvd operation and possible Live banning. On a side note, I believe the ban would be due to intermittent power to the DVD looking like a DVD delete to Microshaft, rather than out of spec power consumption. Sorry a did not take pics, and had to borrow from the net.

Next, I soldered leads with a two post female plug to the underside of the mobo at the power header. I re-purposed an old two post header for the fan connector. The 50mm Cooler Master fan was mounted on top of the remote GPU heat sink. The wires were ran up the right side of the exhaust cowling and under the mobo at the base of the exhaust fan.

Heat sinks are originally more passive than anything. I applied aluminum tape to the tops of the main heat sinks and bridged the gaps between the cowling and sinks. This pic shows a poorer version of my tape job. Red and blue lines depict the power lead routing for auxiliary fan.

I was limited to internal mods due to the unit being Halo 3 edition and not wanting change the appearance. After finally assembling the Xbox, the wife and I played multi-player Halo 3 and 1 for 1 hour with no issues.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by asand1; 12-10-2011, 11:44 PM.

Re: Xbox RROD succesfully fixed plus modded

12v is LOUD. You should settle for something like the 7V or 9V mod. It won't last long. Maybe a year.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Good save! Last time I tried to fix an XBOX 360 with the RROD it only worked for about ~7 minutes, then it died again.

Comment

It was a good thing that the Xbox 360 did not have a logic seal, which is usually found on gaming (e.g. slot) machines and sometimes cable boxes.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Update:
          Its freezing during gameplay. According to my daughter it also happened right before the RROD.

Comment

I like your way of reflowing the solder! My solution to the cooling problem would be to just use a separate power supply and tape (or zip-tie) something like this to the heat sinks

EDIT: it looks like that way of re-flowing might not be so effective after all. I missed that last post originally.
            Last edited by c_hegge; 12-11-2011, 03:04 AM.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by asand1 View Post
              Update:
              Its freezing during gameplay. According to my daughter it also happened right before the RROD.
              The only way to fix this is to reball the gpu with 63-37 leaded solder balls.
              This is not an easy task & to be able to do it successfully is to practice on scrap boards first to gain experience.

Comment

Re-balls with leaded balls do not last long from what I have heard. Reflows have better success rates. Just make sure you flux it when you reflow.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Rrod again this morning. Will try heat gun and bolts/washers next. Thinking a new slim sounds good. Maybe install my case on a new elite along with cooling mods. This sucks.

Comment

Using bolts causes another problem which I discovered happened to my Xenon. The effect is called "tinning". Fine, you've now applied pressure to ensure good contact, but I believe that this accelerates the tinning. Tinning (I hope I'm referencing the correct term) is when the solder "legs" start to grow very small, fine horizontal "branches". When they reach the next contact, it causes a short.

Your best bet is the slim. They are hackable now. Last I checked, they were using Kamikaze method, which is a bit dangerous, but things may have changed. The design of the Xenon was just completely flawed (And I noticed you have a Xenon with a newer heatpipe GPU heatsink), in that the GPU just produced waaaay too much heat and the heatsink was just too small.

Comment

Don't spend money on new clamps, you don't know if the thing is going to die again.
                      Just get a heatgun and hit it with 1000* for 10 minutes let it air cool for an hour and half, rebuild the xbox, keep cooling fan/exhaust fan high and don't ever let the xbox get hot, luke warm is OK, but not hot.

Comment

That oughta blow up the capacitors and warp the board.

Comment

Remove the caps first obviously.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Pulling caps from a Xenon motherboard is like pulling hens teeth. One of the most stubborn moetherboards I have ever worked on. I ruined about half of the capacitors I pulled.

I even tried special braid designed for lead-free solder to clear the holes. I think for this board you really do need a high wattage iron.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              Pulling caps from a Xenon motherboard is like pulling hens teeth. One of the most stubborn moetherboards I have ever worked on. I ruined about half of the capacitors I pulled.

I even tried special braid designed for lead-free solder to clear the holes. I think for this board you really do need a high wattage iron.
                              the needle trick works well for these instances... the only catch is that you have to solder the new caps with lead-free solder. I've found that 99.3/.7 sn/cu melts at a decent temp.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                                We're talking about putting the originals back in once the reflow is done. Needles are no good for getting them out without destroying them.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  ^
                                  We're talking about putting the originals back in once the reflow is done. Needles are no good for getting them out without destroying them.
                                  as hot as xboxes get, i'd use new ones just to be safe... polys if you are really daring.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I'm done with the pos. Was playing with the wife when it frozen again. She employed that I fucked it up so I stomped it. It can go to hell.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        That oughta blow up the capacitors and warp the board.
                                        I've done it before with caps, but then again wagner heatgun says 10 amp 1000*F, I seriously doubt that. But then again I can feel the heat coming off the boards I've hit. I think it's more of me keeping a distances and not staying in one place for too long, and jumping between dies and then circling the board to keep the temp stable.
                                        But what do I know. I've got good success with this method unless it's nvidia then it will just die in a week anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                        X