Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus A7N8X-E recapping work-capacitor soldering pad got ripped/damaged-need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus A7N8X-E recapping work-capacitor soldering pad got ripped/damaged-need help

Originally posted by tron View Post
    KZE is good, if smps has not
    boiled them with excessive ripple
    Visibly the KZE capacitors looks ok, no bulging.
    But actually, to accurately know they are ok, you need to get a ESR tester
    to test them one by one.

Comment

Re: Asus A7N8X-E recapping work-capacitor soldering pad got ripped/damaged-need help

Originally posted by liukuohao View Post
      As you may somewhat agree with me, because you did state that in your opinion, seeing a motherboard boots up for 1-2 seconds and stops, in your experience the faulty component is difficult to pin point.
      No, it's easy. Just need to sit down and do it.
      Takes me 30 minutes max to check all major power rails and VRMs on a motherboard. Maybe 1 hour if I really dig into it and try to figure out what powers the standby lines, USB ports, and all of those small linear regulators for the onboard audio, LAN, etc.

Originally posted by liukuohao View Post
      As you can see the +12v, +5v, +3.3v rails, some rails shown, there is something damaged/shorted (as the multimeter shown to have small resistance value)
      No, those reading are just wrong. Your +5VSB rail shows shorted too, but that is not possible because when you press the power switch, your fans move for a fraction of a second.

But I guess it's since you pulled the caps out of it now and don't want to troubleshoot it further. IMO the Intel board will be much harder fix. Good luck.

Comment

Hi momaka,

As I promised, I have attached a photo, showing the ohms measurement
        for +12v rail to ground (testing on the dead A7N8X-E motherboard.

Please see if I have done anything wrong here.
        I have already set my multimeter to the lowest possible range.

Thank you.
        Attached Files

Comment

Again, I have attached another photo showing the measurement of the +5VSB
          rail to ground.

Please see the attached photo.

Thank you.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so it seems that you are measuring the correct pins on the motherboard and on the proper setting with the multimeter.

But what is really puzzling is that you have the same resistance reading for the +5VSB ad 12V. Moreoever, you have some pins on the5V rail open circuit, but others at zero Ohms! This cannot be becuase all of the pins of the 5V rail are internally connected to each other. Also, your -12V rail gets the same resistance reading as 2 of the 3.3V rail pins - again, not possible.

At this point, I can conclude that you are doing your tests correctly. However, I am also pretty sure the board can't be damaged the way it appears. I think there is something else going on that we are not seeing. I would advise you post more pictures of the entire board (if you feel like troubleshooting it). You should also try a different multimter (even another cheap-o one), just to make sure the error is not there.

And yes, you are correct that most of these pins should appear as open circuit or at least high resistance. But let's see what can cause those readings to appear like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Ok, so it seems that you are measuring the correct pins on the motherboard and on the proper setting with the multimeter.

But what is really puzzling is that you have the same resistance reading for the +5VSB ad 12V. Moreoever, you have some pins on the5V rail open circuit, but others at zero Ohms! This cannot be becuase all of the pins of the 5V rail are internally connected to each other. Also, your -12V rail gets the same resistance reading as 2 of the 3.3V rail pins - again, not possible.

At this point, I can conclude that you are doing your tests correctly. However, I am also pretty sure the board can't be damaged the way it appears. I think there is something else going on that we are not seeing. I would advise you post more pictures of the entire board (if you feel like troubleshooting it). You should also try a different multimter (even another cheap-o one), just to make sure the error is not there.

And yes, you are correct that most of these pins should appear as open circuit or at least high resistance. But let's see what can cause those readings to appear like they do.
              Hi momaka,

Thanks for following up!

Sounds very weird right?, Oh....I forgot to state this.....the motherboard did
              produce /emit some burnt smell, which I cannot locate where BEFORE I even
              order the new caps to replace it.

So, I guess I just have to leave it as it is, trash it for good, because personally
              I think I have spent enough time in repairing this motherboard.

I took the picture and upload it just to prove my point that I did not
              measure it incorrectly.

Thank you.
              Last edited by liukuohao; 02-01-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X