Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMD tweezers from eBay that some one should avoid ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMD tweezers from eBay that some one should avoid ?

My original thought was to spent a price premium so to get branded European made tweezers set.

Then I said why not trying eBay to see what quality of tweezers I can find from it, or better, to see by my own eyes what you get for 1$ shipped.

By expanding my search discovered this nice looking gadget with magnifier & LED light for 6$.
    And also got the cheapest one which was described as ESD type for 1.19$.
    Both are about the get shipped, therefore I will have a true opinion in few weeks.

Basically this topic is about to host your own ... avoid buying .. message, regarding useless tweezers that you got on eBay.
    And even better show a picture of it.
    Attached Files

Re: SMD tweezers from eBay that some one should avoid ?

Probably crap. I bought some cheap tweezers for $1 on eBay for a laugh, the tips are badly made and aren't very good for much of anything, as I suspected they would be.

The ones I actually use were $18 or so from Jaycar, made in India. Points are very fine and precise, no problem holding 0402 or even smaller.

No hope of doing the same with the Chinese ones.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

You just reminded me the old days in Europe that we could find good quality tweezers made by German hardened steel, unfortunately there is no production any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
        good quality tweezers made by German hardened steel
        Vomm / Wiha tweezers?
        I have the standard ESD Tweezers from WIHA, very nice quality for 10 Euro's.
        Wiha says they are made from "Vommaloy", I think Wiha let the German Pincet Manufacturer Vomm made these.

Comment

Their website looks terrible but their product catalog looks interesting.

http://www.vomm.com/ESD.pdf

Comment

I've used those cheap ESD-safe tweezers many times before (not the ones with the light, but just the regular ones). They are quite okay for reballing - i.e. picking up and moving solder balls and such. More than fine enough for me.

But as with anything Chinese, they are made of very flimsy steel, and the fine ends will bend quite easily. Therefore, I definitely don't recommend them for any applications that will exert force on them.

Comment

Regarding needs, I just like to handle components for soldering.
              I have all ready four of large ones 18cm (made in England) tweezers which are great for general use, but they are unable to handle well tiny components because they are very long.

Comment

Working...
              X