Another Westinghouse LCM-22w3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Westinghouse LCM-22w3

About 4 months ago my monitor starting making a high pitch noise when turning on and off. At first it was no big deal, but soon the monitor would turn on to a white screen and require turning the monitor on and off multiple times in order for the picture to finally show up.

I checked around and it seems like some others have had similar problems and it was caused by the capacitors being blown. I just opened up the monitor (pain in the ass) and it looks like the tops of the two larger black capacitors have started to push out and have a little bit of brown on top. They still don't look anywhere near as bad as others I've seen in other peoples pictures... so I was wondering if they look like the cause of the problem. I wiped a little of the brown off the top of them, but you can kind of tell how they are different than the others.

It looks like only the two large black capacitors need to be replaced because all the green tops are still flat. Does anything else besides the two black caps look strange and where should I get the replacements?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ST1NG3R; 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM.

Re: Another Westinghouse LCM-22w3

Originally posted by ST1NG3R
    About 4 months ago my monitor starting making a high pitch noise when turning on and off. At first it was no big deal, but soon the monitor would turn on to a white screen and require turning the monitor on and off multiple times in order for the picture to finally show up.

I checked around and it seems like some others have had similar problems and it was caused by the capacitors being blown. I just opened up the monitor (pain in the ass) and it looks like the tops of the two larger black capacitors have started to push out and have a little bit of brown on top. They still don't look anywhere near as bad as others I've seen in other peoples pictures... so I was wondering if they look like the cause of the problem. I wiped a little of the brown off the top of them, but you can kind of tell how they are different than the others.

It looks like only the two large black capacitors need to be replaced because all the green tops are still flat. Does anything else besides the two black caps look strange and where should I get the replacements?

Thanks
    Based on the experience of numerous people, don't screw around just replacing 2 caps. You didn't get bit by a couple of bad caps that slipped through the quality control process. It looks like you have a mix of CapXon's and Elite caps, both of which are known bad manufacturers. Replace only the two that have failed and in a few months you will likely be opening the monitor to replace more that have failed. I've circled all the caps that should be replaced.

PlainBill

There are two ways to do this. One way is to follow this process to locate the proper replacements. FWIW, I prefer to use Panasonic FM or FC series caps but other brands are also excellent. I use Digikey because they offer shipping by First Class mail. Mouser is another very good source.

The other way is to post the manufacturer, series, capacity, voltage, height, and diameter of each cap. Someone will respond with the recommended replacements.
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      Based on the experience of numerous people, don't screw around just replacing 2 caps. You didn't get bit by a couple of bad caps that slipped through the quality control process. It looks like you have a mix of CapXon's and Elite caps, both of which are known bad manufacturers. Replace only the two that have failed and in a few months you will likely be opening the monitor to replace more that have failed. I've circled all the caps that should be replaced.

PlainBill

There are two ways to do this. One way is to follow this process to locate the proper replacements. FWIW, I prefer to use Panasonic FM or FC series caps but other brands are also excellent. I use Digikey because they offer shipping by First Class mail. Mouser is another very good source.

The other way is to post the manufacturer, series, capacity, voltage, height, and diameter of each cap. Someone will respond with the recommended replacements.
      Sorry but how do I get the series, capacity, voltage, height and diameter? It looks like the black ones are CapXon and the green ones are TAICON.

Comment

What your looking for on the caps on that board, is around where they have the temp rating, look for 2 letter marks like GF or PW sometimes it's like PW(P) or SM C105 and so on. (c105 is temp rating, ignore things like 06/05 that's just date code)

So find the series code, look at the voltage and uf the caps rated at and then this step is next. From that you look up the voltage on the cap, the uf and check out the stats on the original with that brands series in a datasheet. Then you can more easily figure out what would work as a replacement. (You can usually google like Teapo SM and find a datasheet). If you have problems finding specs on a cap, just ask here, most here have the datasheets for just about every make and series.

If you post those numbers I'm sure someone here could give advice and explain what and why, as far as what would work and why it would work.

Comment

Sorry but how do I get the series, capacity, voltage, height and diameter? It looks like the black ones are CapXon and the green ones are TAICON.
          Sorry, my bad. Endevite describes it well. Also refer to this thread.

One point I like to make. When you are building 10,000 monitors, saving a dime a cap makes a significant difference in the bottom line. When you are recapping one monitor spending an extra dime a cap to get better than original really doesn't make a lot of difference. For example, I usually go with Panasonic FM series because they are significantly better than the original caps. And are often slightly cheaper than other 'good' brands.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

There's some type of white glue connecting the capacitors to the board. How should I go about removing? Also, do I need a antistatic wrist strap when doing the replacements?

Comment

There's some type of white glue connecting the capacitors to the board. How should I go about removing? Also, do I need a antistatic wrist strap when doing the replacements?
              I repaired a monitor similar to this one last month. I haven't needed to use an antistatic strap, but I do keep my hand off conductive materials as much as possible. As for the glue, I carefully scraped it off with a screwdriver before trying to replace them.

As for PlainBill's advice - yes, replace all the caps on there that you can, I've seen 5 bad monitors, and 4 of the 5 were completely fixed simply by replacing all the CapXon and/or Elite caps on the Power/Inverter boards. I think the 5th one has a bad MOSFET or CCFL, but I'm not quite ready to troubleshoot that one yet.

Comment

Ok, I removed all the caps and have labeled the screenshot attached and also listed them below. I'm very new at this and didn't have a proper setup, so I kind of scratched the board a little while removing the solder... Nothing serious, but minor scratches here and there around the areas of solder. Could the board have been ruined?

Here is a list of the 8 caps I removed to have replaced:

TAICON
                25v220uF
                0603(M)
                105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                25v1000uF
                0623(M)
                105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                25v220uF
                0603(M)
                105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                10v1000uF
                0629(M)
                105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                25v330uF
                0629(M)
                105ºC(HD)P

TAICON
                25v220uF
                0603(M)
                105ºC(PW)P

CapXon
                1000uF 25v
                KF 105ºC
                P628
                VENT

CapXon
                2200uF 10v
                KF 105ºC
                P626
                VENT
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I removed all the caps and have labeled the screenshot attached and also listed them below. I'm very new at this and didn't have a proper setup, so I kind of scratched the board a little while removing the solder... Nothing serious, but minor scratches here and there around the areas of solder. Could the board have been ruined?

Here is a list of the 8 caps I removed to have replaced:

TAICON
                  25v220uF
                  0603(M)
                  105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                  25v1000uF
                  0623(M)
                  105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                  25v220uF
                  0603(M)
                  105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                  10v1000uF
                  0629(M)
                  105ºC(PW)P

TAICON
                  25v330uF
                  0629(M)
                  105ºC(HD)P

TAICON
                  25v220uF
                  0603(M)
                  105ºC(PW)P

CapXon
                  1000uF 25v
                  KF 105ºC
                  P628
                  VENT

CapXon
                  2200uF 10v
                  KF 105ºC
                  P626
                  VENT
                  Rationalizing the list slightly, I come up with this:

3 ea 220uF 25v P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221 @$.32 ea

2 ea 1000uF 25v FC Series P10278-ND EEU-FC1E102 or P11223-ND EEU-FC1E102L or P10279-ND EEU-FC1E102S @ $1.00 - $1.20

1000uF 10v P12353-ND EEU-FM1A102 or P12354-ND EEU-FM1A102L @$.50

330uF 25v FM Series P12386-ND EEU-FM1E331 or P12387-ND EEU-FM1E331L @ $.37

2200uF 10v P10230-ND EEUFC1A222 @ $.90

All part numbers are Panasonic; all stock numbers are Digikey stock numbers. When ordering from Digikey, specify the First Class Mail delivery option. It is cheaper and faster than Priority Mail for small packages.

There are a couple of problems with this list. First, you did not specify the dimensions of the originals. It is now YOUR responsibility to make sure these will fit. I have indicated alternate sizes when available in Panasonic.

Second, I take the attitude that when replacing junk with first rate it isn't important to match the specs of the original exactly. Anyone who wants to compare the specs of the originals and propose better matches is welcome to do it.

PlainBill

Comment

Hey I did the measurements and checked out all the recommendations and came up with this. Let me know if these look okay, bout to place the order.

3 ea 220uF 25v P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221
                    originals - .3125" Dia x .4375" H
                    replacements - .315" Dia x .453" H

2 ea 1000uF 25v FC Series P10278-ND EEU-FC1E102
                    originals - .375" Dia x .8125" H
                    replacement - .492" Dia x .787" H

1000uF 10v P12353-ND EEU-FM1A102
                    original - .313" Dia x .625" H
                    replacement - .394" Dia x .630 H

330uF 25v FM Series P12387-ND EEU-FM1E331L
                    original - .3125" Dia x .5625" H
                    replacement - .315" Dia x .591" H

original - .5" Dia x .75" H
                    Last edited by ST1NG3R; 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Hey I did the measurements and checked out all the recommendations and came up with this. Let me know if these look okay, bout to place the order.

3 ea 220uF 25v P12383-ND EEU-FM1E221
                      originals - .3125" Dia x .4375" H
                      replacements - .315" Dia x .453" H

2 ea 1000uF 25v FC Series P10278-ND EEU-FC1E102
                      originals - .375" Dia x .8125" H

1000uF 10v P12353-ND EEU-FM1A102
                      original - .313" Dia x .625" H
                      replacement - .394" Dia x .630 H

330uF 25v FM Series P12387-ND EEU-FM1E331L
                      original - .3125" Dia x .5625" H
                      replacement - .315" Dia x .591" H

original - .5" Dia x .75" H
                      Both sets of 1000uF caps are about 1/3 larger in diameter than the originals. As long as there is sufficient room for the larger diameter caps you are good to go.

PlainBill

Comment

Great news! I finished replacing all the caps and the monitor is now back to working like the day I bought it. It turns on and no longer makes noises or switches to a blank white screen.

Thanks again guys, especially PlainBill, I really appreciate all the help you gave and finding replacement parts for me, you made this experience very easy and stress free.

Comment

I have two of these. Was it obvious as to how to open the case up to get at the board?

Comment

I'm not sure if i have the same problem with my unit, but would appreciate any feedback.

I can turn on the monitor for about 30sec. powers up fine, no white screen no issues. After 30 sec it powers off completely and can not be powered back on for at least a minute or 2. After that the cycles get shorter... power on less and less time, and the reset time in between is the same.

Is this also due to bad capacitors? if i replace the above, should it fix this issue even though its slightly different from everyone elses?

Comment

Originally posted by noregret4life
                              I'm not sure if i have the same problem with my unit, but would appreciate any feedback.

I can turn on the monitor for about 30sec. powers up fine, no white screen no issues. After 30 sec it powers off completely and can not be powered back on for at least a minute or 2. After that the cycles get shorter... power on less and less time, and the reset time in between is the same.

Is this also due to bad capacitors? if i replace the above, should it fix this issue even though its slightly different from everyone elses?
                              It can be. The cycle gets shorter maybe because the temp goes up. Open the unit, post pics & info as requested.
                              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050
                                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I have an HP 17v flatpanel monitor. I bought a monitor from an auction and at first nothing, so I let it stay plugged in and it finally I started getting a blinking blue power light. Thats it.
                                I looked up that symptom and determined it was bad caps. I opened up the case and saw right away 2 caps that needed replacing. Please review the included picture. I can see they are 10v Electrolytic 1000MFD caps with the words KF105c and P628 Vent on the side. Please help. If you need a better picture let me know and I can post.

Thanks in Advance
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sli1que View Post
                                  I have an HP 17v flatpanel monitor.
                                  Please start a new thread or asked this to be moved to a new thread. It is hard to keep everything coherent when there are different monitors under the wrong subject title.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    Please start a new thread or asked this to be moved to a new thread. It is hard to keep everything coherent when there are different monitors under the wrong subject title.
                                    I agree. This will get confusing if you continue over on this thread
                                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                                    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                                    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                                    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050
                                      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

oh sorry, I will repost under a new thread. Thanks sorry again....

Comment

Hello and thanks to all who help people.
                                        I was wondering if anyone knew if the Manufacturer was aware of this issue and if they were doing anything about it. I would think that they would at least pay for the new parts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X