SMA Sunny Boy SB 2500 fault finding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMA Sunny Boy SB 2500 fault finding

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone know how to trouble fault this SMA Sunny Boy SB 2500.
    I know nothing about this unit, it was bought as spares or repair. I dont even know how to set it up, but this is what I've done so far. ( Not a Lot) lol
    I plugged in a solar panel, Plugged in some kind of disconnect and supplied 240v ac and nothing is coming up on the display.
    I've checked there is 240v going to the board, I don't know where it goes after that, I also cant see any fuses except the big fuse by the solar input which checks ok.
    The unit is consuming 20 watts.
    Attached Files

Re: SMA Sunny Boy SB 2500 fault finding

the display is backlit - but it's not!
    so you probably have a missing voltage - start by checking for 5v.

Comment

I've been told that it needs 180vdc from solar string for it to operate.
      Anyone know how I can test this as I dont have enough solar panels yet.

Comment

Is this any help? From page 11 "Activating the Backlight illumination, The background illumination is activated by knocking on the lid. Knocking once more displays the next message on the display"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by R_J; 05-07-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Yeh your right you need to knock it to wake it up as it got a knock symble on the front by the display, "So small i didn't see it lol" but nothing happened with just the mains supply in. I really need some way of putting 180vdc to 400vdc in the pv side to test it before i go purchase more pannels.
          Does anyone know if i could put a bridge rectifier after the mains supply to give me high enough dc voltage and put that into the pv side?

Comment

i would have thought it should work anyway, what if you wanted to check it at night!

Comment

Thats what I was thinking.

Comment

Any ideas why it weighs a ton?

Comment

I think this is a straight inverter that takes the dc from the panels and converts it to ac, check on the ac side and see if there is a small transformer that it would use as a stand by supply, I don't think you will find one.

Comment

Oh well, I got another solar panel off my mate, Connected 3 panels in series and got 125v and it lit up, but that's all it did. I'm not sure if it needs more voltage or if it's busted. Has anybody trouble shot something like this?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I take it all 3 leds are on and not flashing? a search on the internet does say this unit did have an eeprom corruption problem.
                      h++p://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/21956/need-repair-ideas-for-a-sma-sunnyboy-2500u
                      Last edited by R_J; 05-11-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Yes all 3 led's are lit not flashing. If it's an eeprom problem then I got an interesting tear down on my hands.lol

Comment

I just found this in the manual, looks like it's initialization mode, " whats that mean "
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just found this in the manual, I need more panels. Thanks to the person who found this manual
                            Attached Files

Comment

Long time waiting but I've bought some new solar panels and I'm getting 280vdc of solar into the unit, It looks a bit more promising as its doing it's checks then it sits there waiting to connect to the grid with the green led flashing. I thought this was normal but after half an hour it still waiting.
                              I'm not sure if I have to connect a pc and configer something.
                              I've found a video on youtube with the same problem but he dont explain the fix.
                              https://youtu.be/lIAKg3Wtwtg
                              Can someone help please, I really want this up and running.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X