Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)

Here is the situation:
    I've tried a fresh install of Win10 on my X202E and after the installation finished computer went into "Wait for (something)" and stayed there forever. After an hour or so I've decided that enough is enough and I did a hard reset. After the reboot computer got into "Wait for (something)" again, got stuck there, and after some time I did a hard reset again. And then it didn't want to boot at all.
    The LEDs would lite up, I could hear the HDD spinning but the monitor was off and then everything would go silent (LEDs still on).
    Since the computer was unplugged during the installation I could be pretty sure that it's not a hardware damage but I had to figure out what's wrong. And a friend of mine suggested that it might be a corrupted BIOS. I've looked on-line, saw that I can buy a programmer (CH341A) for 5$, ordered one and (in the mean time) searched for the dump file for my computer so I can flash it once I have the programmer. Found the dump file, programmer arrived, unsoldered the BIOS (actually UEFI) chip and programmed it (saved the original dump).
    And, voilĂ , I was up and running again.
    There was only one problem. Network card (Atheros AR8162/8166/8168) was not recognized by the system (neither Win10 nor Ubuntu). I assumed that this is because the dump file was from another computer so I've flashed the original ASUS BIOS using WInFLASH. No changes. Thought that some of the other UEFI part might be the issue (GbE Region - but as far as I understand this is only if you have an Intel NIC. I can be completely wrong about it). Since the BIOS region is the only thing that got corrupt I've replaced all the parts except the BIOS from my saved dump file, but again no effect. Then I've compared my corrupted BIOS with the working one (with HxD) and I saw that a big number of lines got erased (turned to F's) so I've copied those lines from the working one to the corrupt one and managed to boot. Still no luck.
    So, I'm asking the experts for help.
    What could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?
    Any advice is welcome.

P.S. Just for the clarification, when I say not recognized I don't mean that the device is seen as "Unknown", it's just not there (in the Device Manager or when I type lspci).

Re: NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)

Do check bios settings if it has lan enabled. Some systems have that option.

Comment

All settings are double checked, I've even enabled/disabled network stack thinking that will change something but no luck.

Comment

see if this utility works on that mainboard.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=49284&page=2

Comment

Thx for the advice, I'll try it.

Comment

please post you corrupted backup file, il try to help
            and X202E is model of laptop or marking on motherboard???

there are some variants X202E, X202EP, X202EV
            you most likely found dump for other model that will boot but not work as it should cos its a different hardware
            Last edited by ala_borbe; 05-24-2017, 01:40 AM.
            Im Back... sort of...

Comment

I'm not really sure that is the problem. As I've said I've managed to repair my dump file since only the BIOS part was damaged and I've just copied the missing lines using the official ASUS BIOS for my computer. But I won't mind if you try.
              The first one is the dump that I got on-line and got things working. https://www.sendspace.com/file/asgccu
              The second one is the original corrupted dump. https://www.sendspace.com/file/qwa8to
              The third one is the corrupted dump changed with the missing lines that was able to boot. https://www.sendspace.com/file/d4tzgx
              You can see that serial number and MAC address are still present in the original (and corrected) dump so I can only assume that it's a hardware damage (which is highly unlikely) or ME region is also corrupted since MEI should be handling the network.
              But Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work just fine.

Comment

Try this bios file.
                There is a still a small possibility also that the lan has died.
                Attached Files

Comment

try this pls

sorry for late reply, i was busy

try and report pls
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ala_borbe; 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM.
                  Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Right now I'm supper busy and my boss is jumping on my head to get some stuff done so I'll test this during the weekend.
                    Thank you all for your effort!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but, unfortunately, no luck.
                      Didn't have the time to check what you changed in the ME region, but I'll take a look.
                      Can you tell me did you use FITC or some other tool or you just copied the factory version that Intel delivers.
                      Thx

Comment

I injected new bios file from asus to your dump with fitc.
                        I would suggest to check lan card voltages.

Comment

I've wrote that the LAN card is Atheros AR81 series (because these are the drivers on the ASUS site for this model, the LAN drivers were already installed when I got the computer so I can't be sure that this is the case), but what I can see on the motherboard is NS0013 LF connected to the LAN port. Do you think that this is all or there's some other hardware as well?

Edit: after some googling it would seem that this chip is just a magnetic coupling and works as isolation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                          Last edited by Bummer_; 06-04-2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

LAN card gets the voltage through some inductors which are around the chip. There are 3v ja 1.2v etc. See if they are all present and correct.

Comment

I found a board view for this model but I can't find the repair manual, all I get in the searches is a user manual. Anyone knows where to find this?

Comment

Check voltages on L3301, 3,4,5 for starters.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thx. I'll get back to you when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                                  X